th_IMAG0386.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 194
  • th_IMAG0385.jpg
    th_IMAG0385.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 191
  • th_IMAG0387.jpg
    th_IMAG0387.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 186
One thing to keep in mind that is very important is MAKE SURE HAIR IN REGULATION. it may just be me since i'm in ROTC, but if hair is not in military regulation then it will but the crap out of me. In case yo don't know i'll post what regulation is for males and females.

Male: hair can not touch ears, hair can not interfere with cover (hat), hair can not touch collar
8edbf628.jpg

Marines will get a variety of haircuts that fall within a spectrum. The order as I remember requires a fade to zero and no more than 3 inches length on top, with a clean shave and no moustache hairs past the upper lip.

A higher fade typically denotes a Marine that is more stringent on regulations. This could be due to the type of unit they're in, their motivational "moto" level, or how recently they've been in basic training.

A lower fade typically is a Marine that is in a unit with less emphasis on regulation (e.g. Recon units), and Marines that are not as big on garrison life.

Again, there's a wide range out there, so consider running any characters you're depicting by a military technical adviser and getting their feedback on what sort of haircut fits each personality.

Generally though, the thing to avoid is having every Marine rock some permy, fashionable, poofy haircut. You might get one Marine that squeezes by, but I've never seen a whole unit manage that (like in "the Babysitter"...). Marine Corps regulations nonwithstanding (can't be expected to enforce regs as stringently in combat), fancy hairdos aren't practical for helmets or for maintaining in shitty areas of the galaxy.

Attachments

• 8edbf628.jpg
    8edbf628.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 545
Again, there's a wide range out there, so consider running any characters you're depicting by a military technical adviser and getting their feedback on what sort of haircut fits each personality.

Generally though, the thing to avoid is having every Marine rock some permy, fashionable, poofy haircut. You might get one Marine that squeezes by, but I've never seen a whole unit manage that (like in "the Babysitter"...). Marine Corps regulations nonwithstanding (can't be expected to enforce regs as stringently in combat), fancy hairdos aren't practical for helmets or for maintaining in shitty areas of the galaxy.

Our question, then, is whether or not people would be bothered if our actresses were either helmeted or had longer-than-regulation hair? We want to stick as close as possible to things, but it would be very difficult to find actresses that want to chop off all of their hair for something they're getting very low pay for.

General idea, assuming you're trying to capture a realistic military feel, is to have hair that is practical for combat. In today's military, women are not put in the combat arms (e.g. infantry, armor, etc.) and many will keep their hair long and simply tie it up when heading out, but for those that are out regularly, a shorter haircut is far more practical and likely to be seen. Keep practicality in mind. A woman preparing to be out in the field, with the possibility of combat and no showers for 30+ days is not going to sport long hair or makeup.

If you do a google image search for modern day women in the military, you can see lots of pictures out there.

As far as keeping helmeted all the time, that's only believable during combat operations (e.g. the short scenes from Landfall). It's unlikely people would keep their helmet on 247, especially when the risk of combat is nonexistant (unless they're on certain security duties), and it makes sense to remove headgear when you get the opportunity. If you're doing a short trailer, you could probably sneak away with it.

Thanks Trooper and LG! We're going to have glimpses of Halsey and CPO Mendez in here, so I'm sure those of you who've read the books will enjoy the clips.

I wanted to update everyone on our progress:

First, on Vrogy: Believe it or not, you do have options after Paypal's protection for $$ transfers end. We went ahead and filed with the Illinois Attorney General's Office against Vrogy for taking our money and making false claims/promises about the marine armor, so they are dealing with that on our behalf. It is a free service to protect consumers, and so if you are ever screwed over by someone, definitely look into this (and needless to say- keep written records of everything. I save all copies of email and PM correspondences just in case something like this happens).

Secondly, we received approval for a SAG New Media contract a month ago. What does this mean? Great actors. Non-union actors will still appear in these two shorts, but our leads will undoubtedly be SAG.

Finally, with the contract above in mind, we've re-casted a number of characters. Our Cortana has also been recast, as Nicole is moving away from Chicago to pursue acting elsewhere.

We will be creating a new thread soon because we would like to have everything pertaining to the production of this project in one spot (as well as a fan page). This thread will still be open for suggestions to be added.

Thanks for your continued support!

th_IMAG0392.jpg th_IMAG0393.jpg th_IMAG0390.jpg V4 on left vs V3 on right

Attachments

• th_IMAG0390.jpg
    th_IMAG0390.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 179
  • th_IMAG0393.jpg
    th_IMAG0393.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 172
  • th_IMAG0392.jpg
    th_IMAG0392.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 169
th_IMAG0392.jpg th_IMAG0393.jpg th_IMAG0390.jpg V4 on left vs V3 on right

L3x, everything looks great! However, I must say that I am a bit disappointed with one thing- the Arizona Sweet Tea jug. If you ever come across the 23oz Peace Tea in a 7-11 or other gas station, check it out!

Thanks again for contributing your great work to this- I showed this to the director, Keith, tonight and he was absolutely blown away. You've set the standard for detail!

Attachments

• th_IMAG0390.jpg
    th_IMAG0390.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 181
  • th_IMAG0393.jpg
    th_IMAG0393.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 173
  • th_IMAG0392.jpg
    th_IMAG0392.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 163
@Chris - When im completely done building i seal it in Plasti-dip. I can't remember off the top of my head where i got it though... maybe menards?

L3x, everything looks great! However, I must say that I am a bit disappointed with one thing- the Arizona Sweet Tea jug. If you ever come across the 23oz Peace Tea in a 7-11 or other gas station, check it out!

Thanks again for contributing your great work to this- I showed this to the director, Keith, tonight and he was absolutely blown away. You've set the standard for detail!

THE TEA!!! Unfortunately, i haven't been able to find anything bigger than the cans of peace tea :( The jug of Arizona is the southern style and is a gallon :D Id much rather have the peace tea but it doesn't come any bigger than the cans that i know of :( And about the armor, i figure that if it's going to be in a film, that it should look as good as it can, no matter what!

If you haven't yet, please cut the square bit that makes the sun visor one piece out of the helmet. that was my major gripe about the reach helmet, abd i think it would make the helmet look much better.

probably about 95% assembled :D

th_IMG_1916.jpgth_IMG_1917.jpgth_IMG_1918.jpgth_IMG_1919.jpgth_IMG_1920.jpgth_IMG_1921.jpg

Attachments

• th_IMG_1916.jpg
    th_IMG_1916.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 189
  • th_IMG_1917.jpg
    th_IMG_1917.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 184
  • th_IMG_1918.jpg
    th_IMG_1918.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 185
  • th_IMG_1919.jpg
    th_IMG_1919.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 174
  • th_IMG_1921.jpg
    th_IMG_1921.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 173
Hey guys, thanks for the post. Jester and I have been in touch and it seems like the best route to go is the Reach Mark V helmet that you can buy in the armory- I notice very little difference between this and the original CE Mark V helmet, except the Reach one seems much more detailed and would make for better pepping. If this is incorrect at all, or you guys feel like this will stray too much from the original, speak up. We want to keep this as true to the storyline as possible- none of that all-too-familiar story/character mutilation done out in Hollywood.

I'm 99% happy with where I have the script. I can foresee us starting to shoot some things in the beginning of April if all continues at the speed it's going.

In response to chitwood, I have to say that we will include snippets of what you've mentioned. It'll be a great montage to fill people in during this short pitch trailer. The only question I have is in regards to confusion. I'm rereading First Strike yet again, and I see that he's referred to as John 117, but in the 2nd or 3rd Halo game, he calls himself S-117 (Sierra 117). Any thoughts on that?

I am going to run a few green screen tests of how we might go forward with a live Cortana- I plan to have a test shot by Tuesday, and the clip up by Tuesday evening. Please keep in mind that because we haven't casted anyone yet, it will probably be a plain-looking girl (no offense) that you'll see.

I am working with a couple of local producers my age right now to try and get casting sessions for Cortana, the Chief, and a couple other famous faces in.

We will be as transparent as possible with this whole shoot (aside from what specifically is in the trailer until its release!)- it's important to us to keep the members of 405th updated on the progress. We'll try our best not to fade off into nothingness for a year like I heard Operation: Chastity did (they had their reasons, no doubt).

Keep the posts and suggestions coming!

For your Cortana: Set the shot up for Black Key. Background all black, your caracter should have any clear(completely see-through) Patterns painted on in black."Pasties" and body paint would be the best route if your Cortana is going to be a Live actor. then in after effects just use the "Holomatrix" plug -in. Very very fast hologram work up. Ah, found something on Youtube.
[video]http://youtu.be/d5zstym21ho[/video]

[video]<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d5zstym21ho" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/video]

For your Cortana: Set the shot up for Black Key. Background all black, your caracter should have any clear(completely see-through) Patterns painted on in black."Pasties" and body paint would be the best route if your Cortana is going to be a Live actor. then in after effects just use the "Holomatrix" plug -in. Very very fast hologram work up. Ah, found something on Youtube.

Our only questions regarding the paint are why not chroma key, and wouldn't the keying out of those stripes just create holes rather than semi-transparent parts? The images of Cortana look as though there are still hints of her body there, whereas a key-out would create significant gaps.

I remember reading that you may have trouble with getting the hair right for the male/female marines. Dude, just bald cap them. they are cheap to make and if you need to you can punch hair or weld it into the bald cap. pre-made haircut style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back