Halo Reach Foam Build. w/ pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazansky316

Kazansky316's Halo Reach style armor. (FOAM BUILD)

Heya guys, I've been lurking for a few months haven't said much of anything, just read alot, looked at pictures, read some more, watched tutorials, and read some more. I've decided that I want to build a suit of my own and to do so I'm going to utilize the following files

L3X's File Database:

1 Male Mark V Mjolnir Foam (V4)
2 Foam Bicep Template (M)
3 Foam Abs Wrap (M) (I think I will modify slight to ad more girth.)
4 Foam Thigh Template (M)
5 Foam Shin Template (M)
6 Foam Cod (M)
7 Foam Forearm Template V2
8 Foam Mark V Shoulder
9 (Not sure for knees yet)

For the undersuit I purchased a Lycra warm weather water wetsuit as shown in photo. A moto compression armor/vest. The same Rap 4 gloves everyone has, and I also ordered a black warm weather dive mask basically just wraps around your head and neck should arrive in a few days.

cE4Ld.jpg

Once the covering armor peices are scaled and put on the plan it to see what parts of the undersuit will be covered by different layering of varying thickness foam to give added bulk, and give that... extra bit of style.

This is the test peice I did using L3X's V3 halo reach foam file. Just because until this project the last "artsy" thing I've ever done was about 20 years ago. I've never touch any kind of exacto style razor blade/knife until now.

4as1W.jpg

And here is a picture of the torso I made real qiuckly, the shape looked a little weird because I don't have the bottom of it properly mounted yet.

ouuIm.jpg

And lastly I began cutting out and tracing the templates for the v4 chest peice. Have a few more to do but hopefully I will get a good amount of these cutout tonight, I hope to have the basic front chest complete by the time I hit the rack.

TFTQC.jpg

Wish me luck.

And shoutouts to thorn for answering some questions of mine and to Spaceg0st for helping me out with the scaleing, the v4 chest piece seems to scale ALOT differently pg[/IMG]then the v3.

Very clean foam work! I look forward to seeing the armor with the under suit options you chose. Subscribed.

Ok here is the first update, I got a decent amount of the front of the chest done tonight, I also started on the upper back pieces. I also reused my upper ab piece from my v3 test piece, I will just layer the v4 ab pieces over top of it, I think it will give it a nice layered look in anycase. And as far as that little computer control board thing the is just under the middle of the chest, I'll scale it down about 10% or so, just enough to get it to fit. But anyways. Progress pics.

kTXvB.jpg

ayJeE.jpg

I am a little disappointed with some of the cuts, the seams aren't match up on the small pieces very well at all, But I've seen other builds with the same problem and it is fixed pretty well by using some kind of filler in the cracks, so I will be doing something similar.

Super clean foam work man! Quick tip - Use Alex Plus silicone caulking to fill in gaps at cuts that aren't the cleanest. I'll definitely be watching this thread!

oh, and Welcome to the 405th!

-Jacob

I haven't tried foam yet. I'm curious to see how this turns out. Looks great so far!

I aim to please. :cool

Super clean foam work man! Quick tip - Use Alex Plus silicone caulking to fill in gaps at cuts that aren't the cleanest. I'll definitely be watching this thread!

oh, and Welcome to the 405th!

-Jacob

Awesome, thanks for the tip, is the silicone pretty easy to work with? Like is it very tacky, or dry extremely quick?

Thanks for the welcome.

For not touching an exacto knife some of the cleanest cuts I've seen, excellent work.

Thanks man, yea it was said in a tutorial that I watch to change out blades frequently. On my test piece I noticed about 1/3 the way into it my blades were not dragging through very smoothly at all. So now that I'm not on the "test" piece anymore I change out my blades very frequently, even if I think they might not need changing. And I just use a heavy gauge plastic ruler with a flat metal edge to guide my cutting tool. I find that my cuts are sometimes straighter then the template trace lol.

But Anyways, I need to take a shower and get ready for work, I got the night shift tonight, if I'm not too tired hopefully I can make some more progress on the back part when I get home.

It's looking amazing already! I just used hot glue to fill the gaps and used the tip of the glue gun to spread and smooth it out as much as I can, just apply a bit of glue at a time so you don't melt the glue underneath it, that should also help re-enforce the joint as well making it rock solid and possibly bullet proof but that hasn't been proven yet lolz. Good luck!

I do not mean to sound like a jerk, but this thread seems to be long dead. I would suggest not replying in it to much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back