Halo Reach Kat - Foam Armor *FINISHED* 10/31/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the torso that you have lined up with the pics is the one you already made? Hmmm.........I might need to have it edited so that it fits me or something. I personally feel that the back could still use some editing though. You can even see from the side view that the chestplate could use a few edits here and there. I would say edit the forementioned areas and I might have to find a way to tweak it in blender so that it fits tighter to my body. I'm pretty small, standing at 5'4" and weighing only about 115 lbs.

Maybe I should show you what the chestplate I built looks like on me. Since I won't be wearing anything thick underneath, I have TONS of extra space and I look like a "bobble head" in the chest area with that thing! lol

EDIT:
Okay, so I went in blender and loaded the torso model and placed it over a side view image of myself. If you look through the arm hole, You are able to see where my back is at and you can see how much extra space I have. This is the BIG issue I am having right now. The width and height seem to be spot on, but the depth is just too much. I don't know what to do at this point. :(

16j0e51.jpg

same problem with the wife's. do deep. what i ended up doing was cutting 2 inches out of the "shoulder" area between the neck and shoulder and then 2 inches off the sides at the bottom then reconnecting the front to the back.. some trim work and blending due to removing 2 inches the edges no longer lined up. once trimmed and blended the chest piece fit a whole lot better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the forearm is fine. Look at the placement of the hand plate. Its more of a wrist plate really. That means the forearm will be closer to the elbow. And it should look fine all together. Youre going to have to either edit the model, or edit the chest piece. I dont see any way around doing one or the other.

Just a note on that side render nikki, the torso will sit higher on you shoulders than how you have lined up at the moment. Just a thought for accuracy sake...

Is that a Cobra emblem in the background??? :D
Yup.........Cobra Mustang. :p It was taken off the car and my ex's dad put a magnet on the back and he gave it to me.

Just a note on that side render nikki, the torso will sit higher on you shoulders than how you have lined up at the moment. Just a thought for accuracy sake...
Yeah, I know it sits a little higher since I DO have most of the torso already built, but either way, the depth is still pretty much the same.

Gasp, why would you take it off!? Haa
Shelby Cobra, or SVT Cobra??

All I know is that is was some cobra mustang. His dad worked where destroyed cars come in and they get junked.....or something like that, so he removed the emblems. I even have the horse off a mustang that is usually seen on the grill.

EDIT:
Oh, and I also went ahead and decided to just take a picture of me with the chestplate on that I built already. The distance from my abs to the ab plate of the chestplate is like 8-9 inches. Doesn't sound big, but if you look at it on a ruler, it's pretty big. Also, if I sit in a chair with my back against it while wearing the chestplate, it looks really goofy. XD

fkntr9.jpg

OMG!!!! Look at that! XD

I've noticed that after looking at the in game chestplate and the one worn by "savagegiggles" (aka Jordan), I need the chestplate style that she wore since it fits tighter to her back. You can also tell that the shape is different than the in game version.

Here we go...........in this pic, you can actually see what I am talking about. It's like I basically need the chestplate seen on the left side so that it actually contours to my body so I don't end up looking like the above picture. XD

wslhrm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and I also went ahead and decided to just take a picture of me with the chestplate on that I built already. The distance from my abs to the ab plate of the chestplate is like 8-9 inches. Doesn't sound big, but if you look at it on a ruler, it's pretty big. Also, if I sit in a chair with my back against it while wearing the chestplate, it looks really goofy. XD
fkntr9.jpg

I've noticed that after looking at the in game chestplate and the one worn by "savagegiggles" (aka Jordan), I need the chestplate style that she wore since it fits tighter to her back. You can also tell that the shape is different than the in game version.

Here we go...........in this pic, you can actually see what I am talking about. It's like I basically need the chestplate seen on the left side so that it actually contours to my body so I don't end up looking like the above picture. XD
wslhrm.jpg
Looking at you posing for the camera vs. ingame profile of Kat...and it looks like your armhole is cut wrong. Pay VERY close attention to where the armor rests on her shoulders and her arm comes out the side compared to yours. There's a notch where the shoulders are supposed to fit into. Your armholes are too far down and aft.
Cut out the section circled in white and that should solve most of it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47137133@N04/5691973357/
Also, in the shot of savagegiggles, please note that the front of the chestplate is sloped out. It should rest near 90 degrees. You'll end up with some space in the back (for batteries, perhaps in the future?), but it'll DEFINITELY cut down on the space in the front.

Look better? The new one is the bold black lines. I want your opinion before i finish and start the unfolds.
Untitled2-2.png

Oh wow! I really like it! It looks like it will fit great! :D Get that bad boy ready to go! I only have 8 days left! D:

Looking at you posing for the camera vs. ingame profile of Kat...and it looks like your armhole is cut wrong. Pay VERY close attention to where the armor rests on her shoulders and her arm comes out the side compared to yours. There's a notch where the shoulders are supposed to fit into. Your armholes are too far down and aft.
Cut out the section circled in white and that should solve most of it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47137133@N04/5691973357/
Also, in the shot of savagegiggles, please note that the front of the chestplate is sloped out. It should rest near 90 degrees. You'll end up with some space in the back (for batteries, perhaps in the future?), but it'll DEFINITELY cut down on the space in the front.

I used the templates from L3X's chestplate. I am NOT about to be doing any type of scratch build and screw things up because I can't afford to be wasting the foam I got. And I have NO plans for batteries. Ever. I'm not good at wiring and my husband won't do it either. Plus that stuff costs money. Money that I don't have. We struggle A LOT and all the time. We have been in the hole for the last 8 years.

I used the templates from L3X's chestplate. I am NOT about to be doing any type of scratch build and screw things up because I can't afford to be wasting the foam I got. And I have NO plans for batteries. Ever. I'm not good at wiring and my husband won't do it either. Plus that stuff costs money. Money that I don't have. We struggle A LOT and all the time. We have been in the hole for the last 8 years.
If that's your definition of a hole, then I've lived my entire life in a crater.

I'm 22, I work 2 jobs (both under the table), I'm still living at home with my parents, and paying through the nose for it just so they can keep their house. I can't afford college tuition out of pocket, and I'm disqualified for most grants and student loans because of either grades or lack of a cosigner, or both. I have no bank account, no credit card, no car (the title's in my father's name). I can count the number of "new" things I have owned on maybe both hands, but that's stretching the definition of "new."

On topic, it was a suggestion based on comparing your photo to Kat's profile in-game. Just something to think about.

Well guys, just thought I would like to point this out...........

I am down to the FINAL 8 DAYS until the day of the convention where I am HOPING and PRAYING to have my FIRST costume finished and am able to debut it to the public! D:

Here is where I stand:

Need to finish belt. (weather it up a bit)
Still need chestplate. (thank god L3X is working on it now)
Need to finish up prosthetic arm.
Gotta rebuild my forearm piece.
Still gotta figure out how to do the handplates. My current foam is too thick for those! D:
Still waiting on the "special" package from Brandon for the helmet (that I gotta paint), boots and the magnum.
Shins - Done! :D
Thighs - Done! :D (for the most part)
Knees - Done! :D
Left bicep - Done! :D
Shoulders - Done! :D

I have this saturday off work and am REALLY hoping that my husband takes me to Harbor Freight so I can buy ONE more pack of foam. That will be needed to make the chestplate. Then I gotta stop over to Micheals and buy some more craft foam so I can make the inner part of the thigh pieces. Then there is the issue of getting a clear coat so that my paint stays on and doesn't rub off too much. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a particular kind of clear coat I should get?

i am using krylon crystal clear flat.. workin reall well and does not put too much of a shine on it.

Well, I am still waiting to hear from L3X for the new chestplate. Also, there IS another convention that occurs here in Michigan and it is called the Detroit Fan Fare. We MIGHT go to that one as well. If we decide to go, I want my husband to dress up along with me so I told him he needs to choose who he wants to dress up as. I told him that I want him to be Carter since I think a Kat and Carter couple would be cute. I showed him the Reach legendary statue and told him to pick one. At first he picked Jorge, but I told him that I have not seen any models for the gun so I might not be able to make that. After looking more at him, he decided he didn't want him.

Guess who he picked instead?

Emile. XD

I think it's the skull is what him pick that. Maybe it's a guy thing. XD haha I don't know. So I will be on the hunt for the BEST models for Emile's armor so I can make that out of foam. Expect to see a WIP for that too if/when I get started on it. :p

Well, I am still waiting to hear from L3X for the new chestplate.
Ya, sorry about that, my family is in the process of moving and today was really busy! Im about half way done with the unfold now. Unfortunately im super tired and need to to get some sleep. But, first thing when I get up ill finish it and post it up in my thread and send you a pm letting you know its there.

Heres what the side and back look like now.
th_Untitled3-2.png

Ya, sorry about that, my family is in the process of moving and today was really busy! Im about half way done with the unfold now. Unfortunately im super tired and need to to get some sleep. But, first thing when I get up ill finish it and post it up in my thread and send you a pm letting you know its there.

Heres what the side and back look like now.
th_Untitled3-2.png
Well also keep in mind that I can unfold models too. You could have sent me the file and I could have had it unfolded by now and could have been working on it cause I got nothing but time. :p

UPDATE!

I rebuilt the forearm and the first time I made it, I scaled it at 8 inches in length. This time I made it 8.5 inches and it's MUCH better. It's not so snug on my arm which helps because it's not like I am wearing a type of spandex material over my body so this new forearm will allow me to better wear something underneath. I also added in a little extra detail. I have not finished the other side for the detail area yet.

Here is what I got so far:

2igou3c.jpg

I think it looks pretty neat. :p

Looking good! How much work do you have left to do on this? Looks like you're really cranking out production on this build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back