Foam Halo Reach Marine (Bucket to Boot) Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purplehazey

Hello!

I am looking to build this Halo Reach marine for C2E2 in Chicago this year. I am going to be following the "Bucket to Boots" post for this build. This will be my first build since my ODST which is currently on hiatus due to the time frame.Honestly, I will be cutting it extremely close, but dammit, it'll be awesome to go to C2E2 in armor.

Goal:
Complete costume before C2E2.
1565548938908-png-png.png

Gear:
I will be using foam for a majority of the build. I plan on trying 3d print the helmet, else, I will use a hat.
The hardest task will be the chest piece.... however, the rest "Shouldn't" be too hard.

I plan on starting with the UA shoulder pieces and work my way to the chest piece.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if I am messing up anything in the scaling!

Current tasks:
  • Scale Armor
  • cut and assemble shoulders

Foam:
Shoulder x2
Chest
Thigh x2
Knee (modified knee pads) x2

3d Print:
Army Reach Helmet

Soft goods:
BDU
Fingerless gloves
Balacava
Boots

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

Things to Make:
Helmet: _____Army______________ Scale []w______ []h______ []d ______

Chest/Ab:___Marine______________ Scale []w______ []h______ []d ______

Underarmor:_______BDU______ Scale []w______ []h______ []d ______

Shoulder L: ______GUNGAIR_________ Scale []w______ []h______ []d ______

Shoulder R: _____ GUNGAIR __________ Scale []w______ []h_____ []d ______

Thigh L: ______UA_____________ Scale []w______ []h______ []d ______

Thigh R: _________UA_________ Scale []w______ []h______ []d ______

Knee L: ___________Knee pad________ Scale []w______ []h______ []d ______

Knee R: ______Knee pad_____________ Scale []w______ []h______ []d ______

Shin L: ____________None________ Scale []w______ []h______ []d ______

Shin R: NONE_ Scale []w______ []h______ []d ______

Knife/Sheath:________YES______

Thanks! I got the foam shoulders mostly traced out yesterday so tonight hopefully I can cut and assemble them.

I'm nervous on how to approach the chest so ks it better to work on the thighs first or the chest?

Thanks! I got the foam shoulders mostly traced out yesterday so tonight hopefully I can cut and assemble them.

I'm nervous on how to approach the chest so ks it better to work on the thighs first or the chest?
I would argue that sometimes it is better to work on the parts that are more challenging first, but because of time and not wanting to have to redo peices, work on the lega, but keep in mind on what may stump you for the chesf peice so you can apply other techniques used on the peices you are currently making

Good points! My thought for this is that if I mess up the shoulders. Its quicker to redo than the chest. Plus it show myself progress.

Hardest thing for the chest I think is how to keep track of the parts and make sure I'm not forgetting anything

Progress tonight.

JPEG_20200114_220737.jpg
Most of the shoulder pieces are traced and ready to be cut and assembled. I am struggling to figure out how to decipher the thigh for cutting and assembly...

Any recommendations on storaging templates/tracking pieces for assemble?

I should hopefully have the helmet file for the build by tomorrow so I should be able to size, slice, and start printing the helmet.

3d printer thermistor is lovingly caked in plastic. Now. Do I repull a new wire through or just attempt to clean it off? It's most unfortunate that the Kaplan's tape came off with the plastic... oh well...
JPEG_20200113_212342.jpg

For the chest plate, I was thinking of maybe using a sheet of worbla to give the center chest piece some strength and hardness. I have a roll I bought after working with it once at a convention... Is this a bad idea?

Less than a month and half to go.

Goal for this week is to get shoulders cut and assembled. Thighs templates printed and began to be cut out of cardstock.

I will then work thighs and start dissecting how to do the chest.

TurboCharizard We've got a live one!

Hey Purple, glad you found some of the resources helpful. I have the foam unfolds of the chest that may help you even more.

The knee pads you used are only used with the shins. Without the shins I'd recommend just getting some knee pads off Amazon to match the circle kind. I'll find a link.

One month build is a challenge! But, I think if you can put 3-4 hours each night to this project you'd have a pretty kick ass suit when you're done. :)

PM me or tag me here if you get stuck on anything.

Hey so for the knees I'm going with some old pads I have in storage. Dont know how I forgot to remove it. I just need to shape and attach some foam+rivets and I'll be good.

Thatd be helpful! I remember reading one of your threads and relazing that is what I need.

Not working on it tonight due to fatigue from workouts/reducing caffeine intake ... . I'm averaging around 1 hour a night now but plan to make my weekends my power sessions. No cutting tonight since working with blades isnt a good idea. Planning on attempting quick attempt to fix printer to start the helmet.

Thanks. I appreciate it! I took it slow and tried my best. I felt like i had to make some progress tonight just to keep the momentum going. Also, tomorrow, I dont expect to get anything done.

Protip:dont be like me and get up to 2 energy drinks a day to function at work. Excluding soda... once when I kick it. I'll be able to focus and keep churning out quality stuff

Ok so I'm not the only one going to be pressed for time on my build!

I have the shoulders cut. Im just doing the basic shape and trimming the edges to the angles.

Working on the thighs tonight... still trying to make sense of it but I'm sure I will figure it out. Goal is to cut and trace out the thighs so I can assemble tomorrow. Honestly, I'm probably make 4 thighs to get practice and have practice pieces available.

Helmet is on the print bed. About 1/3 of the way done with one section. I printed the back of the helm but I am likely to reprint it for better quality now that I got my printer in better shape. Thanks kursk for your help with that! Turbo too for the files!

I'll rsvp tonight! I'm still working on my posting qty to apply!

Pics to be posted later!

Ok so I'm not the only one going to be pressed for time on my build!

I have the shoulders cut. Im just doing the basic shape and trimming the edges to the angles.

Working on the thighs tonight... still trying to make sense of it but I'm sure I will figure it out. Goal is to cut and trace out the thighs so I can assemble tomorrow. Honestly, I'm probably make 4 thighs to get practice and have practice pieces available.

Helmet is on the print bed. About 1/3 of the way done with one section. I printed the back of the helm but I am likely to reprint it for better quality now that I got my printer in better shape. Thanks kursk for your help with that! Turbo too for the files!

I'll rsvp tonight! I'm still working on my posting qty to apply!

Pics to be posted later!
You can actually RSVP without being a member of the Regiment, and youre getting very close on that post count! Ill keep my eye on it! Let me nnow when youre at 50 and Ill submit the request! (Im the midwest membership officer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back