Halo Reach Suit (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the quick answer! my helmet took alot of time, but I figured lower detail pieces shouldn't take too long. I didn't rush it, but I finished my helmet pep in about a month, so that's all good, and it looks really nice, no warpage thankfully! you should check it out! And I agree, as long as it looks great in the end, it's worth it.

You're build is coming along great. As for the question it gets easier/faster with the more you do it (pep) the higher the HD file the less work you have to do in later stages. Keep up the great work.

You're build is coming along great. As for the question it gets easier/faster with the more you do it (pep) the higher the HD file the less work you have to do in later stages. Keep up the great work.
Oh, ok, see, I tackled my build at thanksgiving, and I'm hopin that not every single piece of my build will take a month, I'm hopin to have it finished for at least PAX '12, but I figured the handplates def should not take a month to pep, but yea, it just falls back to the old saying, "practice makes perfect". anyway, happy holidays to Y'all viewin this thread.

I haven't posted on here in awhile for a few reasons. The day after christmas my grandma who was living with me had passed away. I was pretty rough going through that. It still effects me now and again but I've been doing better. Working on this has helped a little. My grandma was pretty supportive when it came to everything I did. She watched me spend months pepping and working on my first suit everyday. Most of the time she gave me the money to go out and buy new supplies even if I didn't need the cash. It was sad to see her go but she stayed as long as she could and is missed very much.
My final semester of college started earlier this month and going everyday makes it hard to find time to pep. I made some progress over the past month but nothing spectacular. So far I have all the pieces pepped out, but I'm redoing the chest because I found a more accurate model and sized it down. It's a lot of pages but it's the last thing I need to fix. I plan on using smooth cast the harden the pieces and may use fiberglass if I run out. The price of smooth cast is kinda high but I probably spend that much on fiberglass resin and bondo for my first suit. Hopefully by using that I can start sooner to get the suit finished.

4b07c4fd.jpg

26099fe6.jpg

d2cd12c1.jpg

Just fantastic work! I saw that you used the this model for the chest piece and wanted to see how yours came out. I'm pretty much the same size as you and figured the scale could go down 10% like you said. The file I picked before wasn't that great and lacked some major parts, plus it was massive on me. Hopefully this time it works out since I spent more time sizing this suit unlike my last one. Great work, really impressed!
Thank you kindly.
I'm Sorry to hear about you're loss, and my prayers go out to you and you'res. On a happier note You're build looks to be doing well, and I think that you will love the new chest plate. You might want to look at Forge's thigh file also. I Hope all go's well for you and it seems as tho you're build just might be a "Zen" moment for you. Please keep me posted on how it works out for you. :) till then take care of yourself.

My condolences to you and your family man. i know what it's like to lose a grandmother that dearly loved you and vice versa. but your build is coming along greatly. keep it up man!!

and just like that... a new HD chest piece. Really glad I made a new one with this model. I haven't tried it on mainly because I can't get my head and arms through at the moment. Once I harden it I will use foam for the neck and arm openings. Super pumped about this... and now I have a full suit pepped out. Now all I have to do is wait for the weather to change so I can get into the messy part. Can't wait though...

ee44b3ce.jpg

627d57c0.jpg

9e55d0d2.jpg

I was bored last night and started and EOD helmet. I like having multiple helmets for my suit. This took me most of the day but it was snowing heavily so I had nothing better to do.

0cf3e83f.jpg

765b8218.jpg

b325e5fd.jpg

896fc324.jpg

Today the weather allowed me to be outside and not freeze, so I took that small window of time to do stuff. I grabbed my two hardened helmets from the garage and put one layer of paint on them so I can see the imperfections. I wish I would have done this with my other helmets. Having a layer of paint on really shows what areas need to be smoothed out or fixed. Now I can get the best possible surfaces being able to see clearly what areas are rough. So I recommend just buying the dollar can of spray paint and having a coat down before you start sanding. But this is where I am as of now with my suit.

b9c58ed6.jpg

1f21ced8.jpg

b68e2694.jpg

1e247dea.jpg

Small update.
The sun finally came out today and made it bearable to be outside, so I decided to sand down my Mark VI helmet.
I smoothed some of it out but I still need beater weather to use bondo in order to get it perfectly smooth.
Most of the bumps are waterdrops because I rinsed it off to clean the surface.

0703ca7c.jpg

2aa99a08.jpg

d62798a1.jpg

Back in Black
Smoothed out a little more of the Mark VI today. It looks like spring is finally hear. Soon I'll get to the rest of my suit after I buy the plastic resin. Yay progress

4975ae31.jpg

0532541e.jpg

edba587d.jpg

6566430d.jpg

It's spring time!
Now I finally can work outside. I'm pretty excited to start this suit and have it fit correctly. As of now I'm just doing the helmets because I don't have plastic resin. Today I just started doing some bondo work to get it as smooth as possible.

bdeb94af.jpg

4cdc65b2.jpg

Slow progress but I'm getting there. Doing my best to get it as smooth as possible. Still need to do more detailing here and there. It's such a mess sanding it down that I try to do as much as possible before I get tired and need to wash off.

b1772126.jpg

de8fe0cd.jpg

68ee1d83.jpg

Also started cleaning up the other helmet while the bondo dries on the other.
fd7f09b3.jpg

09c7d3dd.jpg

Update!
Moar sanding. Been smoothing out every inch of the MKVI and going back to edit it to look more like the reach model. Going to start the rest of the suit soon using smooth cast 320. Other then that I plan on doing the detailing once the bondo dries in an hour or so.

771cb96d.jpg

6a7a2900.jpg

8b984e46.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back