Hand Plate

Status
Not open for further replies.
well on the bottom I used some sort of wood that was 1/4 inch thick for a sturdy base but for the sides I don't think cardboard would matter because it dose not effect the mold at all really.

I bought some SO-Strong Black tint from Smooth-On and here is a rough cast with a few drops of the tint

DSC_0231.jpg

Nice casting! brush in some baby powder in the mold then using an air hose to blow it out (not the mouth, moisture is a no-no) Blow it out good! Do this prior to casting, this will help eliminate any bubbles on the surface of the finished casting... the powder elevates surface tension that causes bubbles to form...

Just a tip

Heres a fun thing to try, get some metallic powders, I prefer aluminum as its cheap and give a nice variation in the metalic greys, mix it in instead of pigment, and brush some into the mold before you pour it. When you pull it from the mold buff it with a fine steel wool and tada, you have a lovely metal looking piece that if you chip the paint looks like metal underneath instead of plastic. I'd post my own but I dont have any unpainted. Also, mine aren't game acurate, I made mine wider and thinner so I'd have more wrist mobility but I'm sure someone would said they suck because its not game acurate, which is annoying.

do you know where I could come across some "metallic powders" ?

And thanks BTW I will try this. (assumeing I can find the metallic powder)

darth wombo said:

Any of your Smooth-On dealers should carry it. Not sure where you can get aluminum powder, though. I read that it's explosive if mixed with water, so that scared me away from trying to get some. ;) They usually have nickel-silver powder, but it's more expensive.

On a related note, Smooth-On has Cast Magic powders, some of which are metallic, I think. Not sure if it'll look like real metal or have that fake glittery metal appearance, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
darth wombo said:

This is where I got the Aluminum powder when I lived in Vancouver http://www.fibertek.ca/ no its not explosive and you get a decent amount for ten bucks. Its just aluminum dust basicly, I've used it mixed with both plastic and fibreglass gel coats with excellent results, I molded a little Mark VI helmet and attached them to keychains so they'll look metal and no paint can chip off it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aluminum is not explosive but it can burn through a cast iron engine block with little trouble when mixed with certain substances and lit correctly :unsure (!!!DO NOT DO TRY IT!!!). However by it's self it is perfectly safe, your soda can will not explode or burn through your car... or you, no worries :D .

Ooo another fun side effect of it is it conducts ambiant temperature alot easier, backhanding someone while its really really cold is hilarious! Well, not for the person being backhanded.

wow thanks guys for all the info :D

oh and just to let everyone know, I edited my first description of this thread so check it out on page one!

The form is just cardboard secured along the seams with hotglue? I had no idea cardboard would be moisture resistant enough to not bow under the pressure of the chemicals used.

well the rebound 25 is not exactly fluid. its more like the consistency of a really thick syrup. A lot of people, from what i have seen, use cardboard.

oh and no, you do not need to use rebound and smooth cast. I just do cause in my opinion smooth-on is the best when it comes to mold building.

They give you free aluminum powder in the paint mixing section in your home improvement store. And also Iron Oxide powder if you want to make a little thermite!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back