Hearing while wearing helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronin

I am currently working on my armor and I got to thinking. I have heard some from the 501st talk about not hearing well while you have your helmet on. By installing a mic and speakers ,they can here you ( which i'm planning to do). But what about hearing them. Has anyone solved this issue? I thought about where the led's are you could put small vent holes to help? Any thoughts?

mmm this is a pretty serios problem but it can be solved. Well not really but from helm to helm you could use those secretive little bluetooth like radio things.

Mount a small mic on the outside of your helmet and speakers on the inside. (essentially, reverse problem reverse solution)

I think I'd rather just deal with though until I have the rest of my armor perfected.

if you have retarded friends like me, they'll just scream into the mic, or something stupid like that. so just don't tell them you have a mic and speaker, or where it is on the helmet.

I've had no problem with hearing while wearing my helmet... I even have sponges on the inside, right on top of my ears.

I've got a few helms of various types and the problem isn't much of hearing but actually getting someone to hear you. 3/4 of the time, your character has to act the part and doesn't say much, mine anyways...and when i do, it's through the use of a amp, mic and speaker.

When I need to tell someone something, I usually signal to my minder and get up close and let em know what i need help with, etc...If it's a person who's a fan and want's a shot and some questions answered, i usually lean in on them and talk to em. They like it...:D

Just me...

Stay safe,

Tim.

Halo_1 said:
I've got a few helms of various types and the problem isn't much of hearing but actually getting someone to hear you. 3/4 of the time, your character has to act the part and doesn't say much, mine anyways...and when i do, it's through the use of a amp, mic and speaker.

When I need to tell someone something, I usually signal to my minder and get up close and let em know what i need help with, etc...If it's a person who's a fan and want's a shot and some questions answered, i usually lean in on them and talk to em. They like it...:D

Just me...

Stay safe,

Tim.

Exactly! This is what I experienced too!

All the girls at the costume parties thought I was guy and wanted to take pictures with me. Inside my helmet I was like "Nooooo I'm a girl!" lol. Ah well not talking leaves more to people's imaginations haha.
You can always do like Tim said and lean and talk to them or remain stoic and hand gesture to folks! People truly love that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 0 problems hearing, it sounds muffled, but I can understand what people say, in the 501st, they say that they cant hear, thats because for one thing stormtrooper armor on the eyes is 2 layers of plastic to get the shape right, that blocks some sound which makes sound have to enter from the thinner plastic areas or the bottom of the neck.

Easiest thing is make those vent on the sides of your helmet functional, use a small dremel cutting disk and cut a thin slot in them. This should more than easily fix that.
Im a vder for the 501st, and with the breathing effect, voice module, saber ect. I still hear just fine.
So I cannot guess whom was saying that. The vader costume has to be worst costue of all to wear, in all aspects. Heat, comfort, vision, expense, pretty much everything.

If you buy black tubing from a hardware store, dremel out the sides every other slot to make it look less noticable that will help just like Dath malevelus said.

cannibalized an i pod amp then hook it up to a mic, its really simple, just make sure it actually has an amplifier in it. Im going to see if i cant put a blue tooth headset in my helmet and the ill be able to make calls from my mobile (cell phone for 98% of you). for hearing others you could do the same thing but the othher way round except rip the speaker out and atch some ear bud headphones, these will help alot if you have fans in your helmet aswell. so few people have electronic know how...

Thanks everyone !!! Some really good advice! When I fininsh mine (when I get time) I will leave it alone and if I do have promblems hearing I will go back and change a few things!

When we wear our helm we hear everything fine, but when speaking back people have a hard time understanding what is said through the helm, oh well you win some, you lose some!!!!

I know this is an outdated post, but I have found the ULTIMATE SOLUTION to hearing problems while wearing a helmet

the solution costs from 10-30$ unless you splurge for a fancy model...

They come by a variety of different names
Sonic hearing (as the unit is located inside the helmet some of its effect will be lost, and you will probably be able to hear yourself breathing)
http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=sonic+hea...r&_osacat=0

or this one, it has earbuds and you can put the microphone outside of the helmet
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bell-Howell-Sonic-Earz...p3286.m20.l1116

I tried a cheap model that my dad gave me and it really does work, I think I'm going to splurge for a little better one and paint it black. There's plenty of space around your armor to be able to 'hide' it.

I have a little difficulty hearing people without the helmet... let alone while wearing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back