Height proportions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catsbegaming24

I plan to make custom halo armour and I figured out a way to add up to 5in in my height. I have been blessed by genetics and my actual height is an outstanding 5'1. ( 154cm ). How should I size the suit so that it's like I'm actually 5'6 without looking skinny or too tall for proportions?

Last edited:
Whatever you do make it fit you. Im guessing you have platforms? I also have 4in platforms as long as the armor isn't bobbleing around on you itll look fine. You can add upholstery foam to help pad your armor peices as well.

Also, in case you weren't aware of it - there's a program (paid, but it's a one-off payment of I think 35 bucks) called Armorsmith that lets you scale Pepakura patterns and 3D models to an avatar that you put your measurements into. That might help for something like this, if you want to simulate being a bit larger and then scale any pieces around that. As Electraknite said, putting additional padding and/or platforms would help with that; it's just that Armorsmith might help you scale the pieces to appear larger over you.

Also, in case you weren't aware of it - there's a program (paid, but it's a one-off payment of I think 35 bucks) called Armorsmith that lets you scale Pepakura patterns and 3D models to an avatar that you put your measurements into. That might help for something like this, if you want to simulate being a bit larger and then scale any pieces around that. As Electraknite said, putting additional padding and/or platforms would help with that; it's just that Armorsmith might help you scale the pieces to appear larger over you.
I haven't heard of that before, but it sounds really helpful! Thanks for the advice!

You're welcome. It's a very useful program, because not only can you use it to scale armor pieces (it also has snap points, though sometimes you may need to manually reposition parts), you can also use it to scale props. It also has a number of convenient features, including the ability to do non-uniform scaling (which I had to do for my Colonial Marine breastplate - it was bulging out too much in the front and so I wound up having to modify it to be a bit flatter against my torso) and then be able to export the modified model. It's really cool and really handy.

The one thing to be aware of is that at least in some cases (i.e. mine), helmets are (very) difficult to scale properly, even if you have your exact head circumference inputted. I was trying to print an ODST helmet, and I had to print the bottom half at least three times before finding a size that actually fit my head, but even that was too big. For helmets, or at least for the one I was using and my larger-than-average head, it's pretty much trial and error, due to how the head model isn't the best.

Don't let that discourage you though - for everything else, Armorsmith is fantastic and works perfectly fine.

I also highly recommend Armorsmith! It's been a very worthwhile purchase for me!

You're welcome. It's a very useful program, because not only can you use it to scale armor pieces (it also has snap points, though sometimes you may need to manually reposition parts), you can also use it to scale props. It also has a number of convenient features, including the ability to do non-uniform scaling (which I had to do for my Colonial Marine breastplate - it was bulging out too much in the front and so I wound up having to modify it to be a bit flatter against my torso) and then be able to export the modified model. It's really cool and really handy.

The one thing to be aware of is that at least in some cases (i.e. mine), helmets are (very) difficult to scale properly, even if you have your exact head circumference inputted. I was trying to print an ODST helmet, and I had to print the bottom half at least three times before finding a size that actually fit my head, but even that was too big. For helmets, or at least for the one I was using and my larger-than-average head, it's pretty much trial and error, due to how the head model isn't the best.

Don't let that discourage you though - for everything else, Armorsmith is fantastic and works perfectly fine.
I will keep that in mind when making my helmet, I'm probably going to try making a head ring before I print the full thing and hope that will help with it. Thank you!

I will keep that in mind when making my helmet, I'm probably going to try making a head ring before I print the full thing and hope that will help with it. Thank you!
You're welcome. A head ring is definitely your best bet; I wish I'd had the foresight to do something like that. For the next helmet I print, that's most likely what I'm going to wind up doing.

i have to try this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm your height. We are smol gang.
Scale proportions accordingly to your body - measure exactly how long your body sections are for example how long your forearm is so when you'll be building nothing will turn out too small or too big afterwards or that they won't restrict your movement (if you were to make for example thighs/shins bigger scaled you may not be able to bend your legs).

If you really want to add artificial height you can add up a little on making the shoes higher. But I wouldn't do it on any other parts as they might rather make you look too small for them. You can cheat on the shoes by adding bit of height there but you won't be able to cheat on extending any other body parts.
Personally I'm not adding any height. Embrace the smol! Also if it'll make you feel better - not all Spartans are same height and there are some smol Spartans like us too.

Scale proportions accordingly to your body - measure exactly how long your body sections are for example how long your forearm is so when you'll be building nothing will turn out too small or too big afterwards or that they won't restrict your movement (if you were to make for example thighs/shins bigger scaled you may not be able to bend your legs).

If you really want to add artificial height you can add up a little on making the shoes higher. But I wouldn't do it on any other parts as they might rather make you look too small for them. You can cheat on the shoes by adding bit of height there but you won't be able to cheat on extending any other body parts.
Personally I'm not adding any height. Embrace the smol! Also if it'll make you feel better - not all Spartans are same height and there are some smol Spartans like us too.
yall are not that small I'm only 5.3 lol

We are same height lol. OP said they are your height. I'm 160cm too :lol:
I just embraced it. It's hilarious when I was in Halo cosplay and kids passing by were often taller lol.
And there are many smol heroes, not only few short Spartans. Look at the Hobbits for example! Smol but mighty.

Glad to know I'm not the only smol one out there lol! All other posts I've seen these people were 6ft looking for height. And thank you for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back