As a short person, how could wear a masterchief outfit to be closer to his height?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chromxtic

For context, I’ve been intrigued with the halo costume community for a really long time now, and I’ve finally decided I might try to make my first outfit! Before I begin though, I’m around 5”4’ and I’m pretty sure masterchief is around 7 ft. For any people with experience making these, would there be any way to bump up my height in the costume so I’m not just some masterchief walking around shorter than everyone else. I had thought maybe I could try and find some platform-ish boots to build his boots over, but I’m not too sure if that would work. Any suggestions?

Some platform boots can get you around 3-4" of height.

Most "Halo" armors have Arch protectors on the boots than are almost slanted at 45-degree angles; you can use that arch protector to hide the placement of your feet and extend your height slightly; almost as if you're wearing high heels. The soles of the boot will have to have an arch on the heel of your foot.

This should give you an extra 3" or more.

Boot posture.png

Helmet padding also plays a huge role. Most helmets should have around 1" or 1 1/2" of padding. Adjusting it could get you another 2".

Unfortunately, it is extremely difficult to add height to a character without using actual stilts.

Honestly, I would suggest just making the costume as scaled as perfectly to your own height as possible. In pictures it's hard to tell your height, and a well scaled and fitted costume is more impressive than a costume that looks out of proportion just to try and get another half foot to foot of height.

As a short person there is no way to get 2 feet onto our height. I'm similar to you - 5'2/5'3 so I understand your issue.
You could cheese some height just in the boot area like Nuts posted above but it's just 2-3 inches and walking on heels for hours could be exhausting.
Also don't recommend making boots any higher than they normally should be - it'll just make them look vertically stretched.
Wearing a helmet will also make you gain about 1 inch too.
But nothing from those ways would make you magically gain 1-2 feet unfortunately.

Best just accept the height that you may be a smaller Chief or other Spartans and best to make whole armor scaled to your body for best proportions.

Smol is great! :cool:

I'd add that making the legs look longer can sort of "stretch you out" visually and give you larger-looking, more heroic proportions. You can do this at the bottom of the leg, by using lifts or platform shoes like Nuts said, or at the top of the leg by making the belt line higher than your waist actually is in real life. On my suit the belt sits 2-3 inches above where I would wear a regular belt day-to-day, and it helps give me the appearance of long legs that I don't actually have. The thigh pieces sit pretty high as well, to match the belt.

I have 4" platform boots that are very easy to walk in. When it comes to platform boots you want the toe part of the sole to slightly curve up so that they can rock forward while you walk. I doubt you’ll reach 6" but you can get a decent amount closer.

As far as making legs look longer that depends more on body type then what 4" platform will do. I already have long legs and I don’t find my boots make me look any more disproportionate. Just beef up the legs a bit and it’s all good.

Reach Jun Build (Foam/fibreglass + custom undersuit)

I'm 5'4" and I made my armor to scale for my height. It's better for everything to be proportional than to be tall. If you make yourself taller all the armor pieces will become bigger in all dimensions. Then everything just looks oversized on you.

mine are demonia shaker 52s, however theyre a bit expensive (200$ cad) you could probably find some cheaper ones on amazon or aliexpress. I plan to wear mine in everyday settings too so I splurged on good reviewd ones. i still will need to add an insole, the shank is metal i think.

maybe watch some youtube videos on platforms for beginners so you can find some cheap but easy to wear ones. you will probably want a sole that flairs out slightly so you are more stable.

another option is to make your own platforms out of eva foam. you will want high density foam for the platforms and i recommend adding a shank made of metal or wood to the top of the foam stack for stability and so you dont compress the foam as much as you walk. And add a rubber sole to the bottom so you don’t slip. (rubber stair treads from Home Depot work as material)

You can strap them or glue them to a pair of shoes like that. Please make sure the straps are secure and tight. Loose Platforms are dangerous.
The shoes you pick to attach to your platforms should cover your ankle and be able to be tightened so they can support your ankle.

A635801C-00C1-44EE-A45E-9BC208E239EC.jpeg

For context, I’ve been intrigued with the halo costume community for a really long time now, and I’ve finally decided I might try to make my first outfit! Before I begin though, I’m around 5”4’ and I’m pretty sure masterchief is around 7 ft. For any people with experience making these, would there be any way to bump up my height in the costume so I’m not just some masterchief walking around shorter than everyone else. I had thought maybe I could try and find some platform-ish boots to build his boots over, but I’m not too sure if that would work. Any suggestions?
I added padding to the bottom of my boots to make me taller. I plan on adding an additional pad this year to be just a smidge taller again. Don't want to go too crazy. I attached a phot with Viper 466 for scale. Im the short one.

Attachments

• 461DEBBB-15EF-424A-B74C-1E40344CBA2F (1).jpg
    461DEBBB-15EF-424A-B74C-1E40344CBA2F (1).jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 122
I've been back on my Noble 6 build lately and was messing around with shoe heights/lifts. Anything more than 1.5" and I just felt and looked awkward walking and my shoe mock ups started to look odd. For y'all that have 3-4" lifts, how do you handle the boot armor to make it look proportionally proper?

I'm 6'2" barefoot. With boots plus about a 1.5" lift, that puts me at 6'4". Helmet top should be around 6'6". I was hoping to hit 6'8", but 6-6 will still be more than the average person just walking around....but another 2" would be cool.

To give you all some confidence - Spartans on average are tall but there are short Spartans too. For example Spartan-III Lucy B-091 is one of shortest Spartans and only 5f 3in (160cm) tall. Some others are around 6 feet tall.
So it's ok to be a shorter Spartan too. :D

To give you all some confidence - Spartans on average are tall but there are short Spartans too. For example Spartan-III Lucy B-091 is one of shortest Spartans and only 5f 3in (160cm) tall. Some others are around 6 feet tall.
So it's ok to be a shorter Spartan too. :D
This I can agree to, being a 5'9 spartan

Not going to lie; I chuckled at the first photo, those boots look adorably stubby, but in the rest of the photos they don't seem that out of place.
Yeah, looking at the suit as a whole it's not very noticeable. I think I just need to finish the entire legs first. Hard to look a single piece of armor and get a perspective without the adjacent armor parts. I've been oversizing things a hair and taping together for test fitting. Doing it in metal, I'm trying really hard not have to redo anything!

Not sure I could balance in 4" lifts even if I could fit them in. I think all my ninja skills died off when I turned 50! :)

Not going to lie; I chuckled at the first photo, those boots look adorably stubby, but in the rest of the photos they don't seem that out of place.
That tends to be the case with most reach boots lol. They're real chonky and annoying to go overtop shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back