Hello need some opinions on a armor set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kula

Been lurking for awhile but have decided to jump in. Hope to get some advice too on my new armor
Im looking at a Rubies or a Disguise Prestige. Any thoughts?

If you want to buy one of those costumes, I strongly suggest the Disguise.
I personally think very low of the Rubies whereas I really like the Disguise and think for that price you could hardly get anything better.
It's quite cheap and looks very nicely. You can always do some afterwork but overall, it's a nice costume.

The Rubies helmet, especially the visor, is enough to make me puke. It's a low cost affair : a golden non-look-through part with a meh-darker-inlay which still shows your face.
Just compare the helmets/visors of the Rubies to the Disguise, and you should already have made up your mind.

And yet it's more expensive than the Disguise kits, oddly enough.

The Rubies looks nice in te commercial pictures but up close and personal, it's ... bad. As Palmer said, stick with the Disguise if you want a instant-suit : it's a perfect starter suit and it can be personalized and upgraded no-end. And the undersuit, while not really screen-perfect, doesn't look like an oversized garbage bag when you'd wear it which is a complaint I've read about the Rubies several times already.

Disguises' suit came out a couple of years after the Rubies. It's clear the guys at Disguise took a close look at what was wrong with the Rubies and they addressed most issues in a decent fashion I think : enough people have showed their pics of how the Disguise fits out-of-the-box, and it looks very decent as-is, even without modding.

Im just worried about the undersuit. Seems my only choice is either M or XL. Im 5'10 175lbs. Anyone here got a set?

Have a look at the Halo Props Facebook group. Several people have been showing and reporting their experiences with the Disguise. Pretty sure you'll find all the answers you're looking for there. :D

I bought a disguise set, NOT the ultra prestige; I really just wanted the helmet, which is nicely detailed. as for the visor, it is good looking, but hard to see through. I would put some RAIN-X or something on the outside to keep it from fogging up. the crease makes it hard to see, so you have to look either slightly upwards or downwards (where the crease isn't) and try to see that way. once it is properly repainted and weathered it looks quite a bit better then a lot of casts.:D

All-in-all a pretty good looking helmet ;)

I've purchased 5 or 6 of the Disguise helmets now, and repainted all of them and sold or gave as gifts to friends. For the price, they are great, but overall, not overly amazing. The visor visibility is ok at best, and the biggest issue I've found is that the helmet is too "shallow". Meaning when you wear it, you can see the lower portion of your jaw/chin. Its not "tall" enough, to hide your full head. But for as cheap as $25, you really can't complain that much. I have one just sitting at home to use when messing around or whatever, something I wouldn't do with a Stony Props Chief helm for instance. But overall, if you want something decently accurate, cheap, and kid friendly, then the Disguise stuff is great.

As for the full suit, I imagine the price will be going down now that Halloween has passed, and if you want a near complete suit with little to no work needed, then its the best you're going to get.

Thanks. Already ordered it and after some advice a medium was recommended. Now looking for a Ma5 or a magnum. Will a boomco do? Also will be getting a new helmet...

Oh man, that depends.
The MA5 Boomco has merrit. For the price ? Why not. But depending on your physicall height, it can become really smallish really fast.
Same is true for the Boomco M6.

I'm 1.85 meters. About 1.93 in suit. Anything smaller than a CB88 becomes too small really fast then (CB88 is about the size of a Boomco). Same is true for the M6 Blaster. There's no way I can put my hand on the grip of a Boomco when wearing gloves without letting my pinky finger drop outside of the handguard. It looks off.

But at 5.10 ? You should be fine using the Boomco's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back