Helmet Cooling System / Visor Anti-Fog Installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SagittariusArt

I have a big Problem at the Moment with my MkVI Helmet.

I have a new Neckseal and it should help to prevent Fog on the Visor inside.

But it doesn´t work.

I had once a Fan installed, but that Thing don´t helped either.

Short sayed: I need Help, ASAP.
Carneval starts in 2 Weeks and this is my last Problem i need to solve.

Helmet is a MkVI from Sean Breadly.

There is not much Space and regular Fans don´t do their Job.

Pls share your Solutions with me and how good they work!

I'm new to the Halo costuming but, I have been wearing Mandalorians for 6 years years. Fogging is always an issue and there really is no perfect fix for it.

Ive tried all the tricks... sealed, double paned visors... they work somewhat but by no means are a cure all, I've rubbed shaving cream on the inside of the visor and other antifogging devices... helps but not a cure all.

My personal experience has been sneak ventilation into the helmet wherever you can and use a fan. The trick with the fan is it needs to be pulling fresh air in from the outside and directed to blow over the visor, particularly in the area of your nose and mouth. There also needs to be an exit vent somewhere along the direction the air travels.

For me, that is the best way to prevent fog buildup. Other than that, once you are in the helmet for awhile, the temp of the ambient air, the visor and your breath start to stabilize and the fogging reduces.

Where did you initially install the fans? I know most people put them behind the cheek vents (the parts that look like ribbed hose), but with that placement, the air simply blows inward. As AdenS mentions, the trick to the fan placement is to get the air to flow over your visor. My solution was to place the fans here...

DSC04867.jpg

There are two square indents under the chin area of the helmet that practically face upward. With a little positioning of the fans, the airflow on my helmet works perfectly to defog the visor in all but the most extreme circumstances. When I wore my suit to the H4 launch, I had no problems with fogging. When I wore it to the movie shoot, it was pretty humid outside, so the visor fogged up pretty badly; the fans helped a little, but it was too humid that day for them to work effectively.

You could also look into some sort of anti-fog gel, the kind of stuff you'd put on your glasses.

Nice, I actually put screens in the exact same place on my helmet and plan to install my fan there as well. Good to know ahead of time it's tested and works in that configuration.

Where did you initially install the fans? I know most people put them behind the cheek vents (the parts that look like ribbed hose), but with that placement, the air simply blows inward. As AdenS mentions, the trick to the fan placement is to get the air to flow over your visor. My solution was to place the fans here...

DSC04867.jpg

There are two square indents under the chin area of the helmet that practically face upward. With a little positioning of the fans, the airflow on my helmet works perfectly to defog the visor in all but the most extreme circumstances. When I wore my suit to the H4 launch, I had no problems with fogging. When I wore it to the movie shoot, it was pretty humid outside, so the visor fogged up pretty badly; the fans helped a little, but it was too humid that day for them to work effectively.

You could also look into some sort of anti-fog gel, the kind of stuff you'd put on your glasses.

Could work!

I´ll redesign this a little and add it to my Helmet.

I also played a little around in PS and got 2 possible Holes for the Front Section:

helmetvents.jpg

You could put the fan up by the brim and have it blow down on your face and visor, the flow of the fan should suck air in from the top of your head. Also have a look at this vid
I know he talks alot about the electronics but at 50sec and 3 min 10sec in you see the breath deflector he uses to redirect his breath away from the visor to help with fogging. You can get these at any motorcycle shop or even e-bay.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could put the fan up by the brim and have it blow down on your face and visor, the flow of the fan should suck air in from the top of your head. Also have a look at this vid
I know he talks alot about the electronics but at 50sec and 3 min 10sec in you see the breath deflector he uses to redirect his breath away from the visor to help with fogging. You can get these at any motorcycle shop or even e-bay.

AAAAAND we have a Winner!

Also found one at my local Store online! Hope they have it also in the Shop tomorrow.

I cut a small hole under one of the black rubber tubing on MC3 and hot glued a PC fan behind it. It sucked fresh air and blew it directly on my son's mouth. Worked like a charm. Here is a quick description of how I did it.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...mpleted-More-Updates-Soon?p=469308#post469308

Last year I updated one of the helmet and I did the same by reinstalling the fan. I made a video describing it. Hope that helps.

If all else fails, you can try the classic swimmer's trick: the spit-n-rub. Definitely not a long term solution, but it will keep swim goggles fog-free long enough to finish a practice. Its easy:
Step 1: rinse out the inside of the lens,
Step 2: spit on the inside of the lens.
Step 3: rub the spit to cover the lens.
Step 4: rinse out the inside of the lens.
Step 5: dry the lens. Probably with a washcloth. (I use my thumbs for my goggles)

No idea if this will work at all on a helmet, since its not suctioned to your face like goggles are, but it could be worth a shot if all else fails and you find yourself blindly walking into people.

Soooo...

A Combination of a Breath Deflector and square Indents (mine are 2 Triangles) made the Magic work. No Fogging anymore!
But i´ll add 2 Fans just for Safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back