Helmet fan set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike bike

I just put together a little fan circuit, i noticed the battery gets a little warm when its on is that normal? Does anyone have mounting tips for attaching it?
Im using a 9v battery, a toggle switch that the contacts are rated at 125vac 1a at 250VAC and a 12VDC mini fan.
put those details incase it was needed either to check the specs or if anyone wanted to know. I got them at radio shack for like $5

Attachments

• IMG_1020.jpg
    IMG_1020.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 333
You should switch to a 3 AA battery pack......a 9 volt will give the fan a lot of power but it will die very quickly. That is why the battery is warming up.

I haven't finished my own helmet yet but I'm told that the 3 AA pack lasts for hours.....long enough for you to enjoy a Con w/o battery issues. But always bring spares!!!

I haven't finished my own helmet yet but I'm told that the 3 AA pack lasts for hours.....long enough for you to enjoy a Con w/o battery issues. But always bring spares!!!
Yup, I run a 3 AA pack that powers 2 5v fans and 2 LEDs in my helmet. I have a switch that allows me to easily turn the fans and LEDs on independently, and it lasts me a weekend of trooping in the summer. I would say I only run the fans for 2-3 hours a day max, though.

Out of curiosity what size fan are you using and where did you mount it? Never done it myself but I want to in my ODST helm.

Out of curiosity what size fan are you using and where did you mount it? Never done it myself but I want to in my ODST helm.
I have one that is probably an inch-inch and a half square. They are usually used in computers. If you type mini computer fan in amazon or eBay you will find them. If you have a radio shack near you they will have them. The one near me was closing the next day, so no more radio shack for me haha

Or if you are luck enough to work in a company that occasionally throws out computers........salvage.....it's free!!

I believe i picked up my little 5v fans on ebay for $3-4 each with free shipping. The nice thing is that a 3-AAA battery pack puts out 4.5 volts, so no resistors are needed. They are about an inch square, and 1/4" deep. I'll see if i can find a link for you guys.

Edit: This link is what i purchased. the airflow isn't crazy, but its enough to put a light breeze on your face and pull fresh air in through a vent or two.

5V 2Pin ph2.0 5cm 50mm 50x10mm Mini DC Brushless Computer Cooling Fan 9 Blades | eBay

Last edited:
IMG_1062.JPG IMG_1063.JPG A little update on the helmet cleaned up a little and visor cut out. Now it's officially a helmet haha

Attachments

• IMG_1061.JPG
    IMG_1061.JPG
    932.2 KB · Views: 323
What do most people use for a Master Chief visor? I'm making a Master Chief helmet and i need a visor. I'm looking for something kinda cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back