Soft Parts Helmet Padding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just use Pipe Insulators (3x 1 meter tubes for £1 / $1.50, or buy individual 1.5m tubes for about 50p / 80c)

They're cheap, easy-to-shape and they work well on all the pieces I've tried so far.

Just make sure to use the right glue to stick them in, and DEFINITELY DON'T USE HOT GLUE! (Especially the males)

It burns right through the foam, and the fumes the foam gives off can make you infertile if inhaled :eek

Just use a bit of spray glue or the like, and it works fine! :D

If you are going to use foam strips you can go to walmart to the section where they sell AC filters and weather stripping. They sell 2 inch thick black foam strips therre already and some thins ones that have a sticky side as well. I have used this for mine before. I think it is like $3.00 a package.

Ithica

I picked up some of the Scorpion EXO-700 motorcycle padding. It's a tight fit into the helmet, but it's really comfortable.

Ithica said:
If you are going to use foam strips you can go to walmart to the section where they sell AC filters and weather stripping. They sell 2 inch thick black foam strips therre already and some thins ones that have a sticky side as well. I have used this for mine before. I think it is like $3.00 a package.

Ithica

I have tried Using that foam,and if you get the placement right,it fits quite well.

just mine has started to wear and tear... hmmm

Last edited by a moderator:
My idea was to have some cheap craft foam overtop some blue closed cell camp foam from walmart

The blue foam is commonly used in camping for under-sleeping bag material, about 1inch thick and good for cushion (you could just use it, but it would be blue inside)

I believe the price went up to around $7.00 a roll (6ft by about 3ft=-plenty for about 3+ helms)

then some 8x11 sheets of black foam craft paper.. like $0.33 per sheet. (be a few pieces if you cover EVERYTHING)

Super glue - mini 4 pack for $1.00 (cheap brand-non resealable tubes)

Industrial grade Velcro $4.00 (self sticking, non sewn)

Cut blue foam into sections (forehead, top, back, sides) and just leave gaps between, or custom cut to fill everything ((depends on what you want, first way would be easier, lighter, and provide airflow and room for wiring)) and use black craft foam on the "shown" sides to cover the blue (parts that touch your head)

Use velcro to put the padding in place (so you can remove the padding to air dry when needed, or replace foam pads if they get worn)

and easy, cheap padding to keep the helmet secure on your head (so it doesn't rock or spin) and you can remove the pads to clean/air out in case of hot days and lots of sweating.

Mostly I came up with this because I already have all the materials... so it costs me $0.

This way also allows you to custom the foam - you can make it thicker if you need in some places so the helmet sits squarely on your head, as well as keep it from spinning, plus the random passer by that knocks on your helmet won't tap your skull.

Downside to this is you had to of planned ahead so you had room to do this sorta thing inside the helmet before Pepping, because if the helmet just barely fits on your head now - adding a few inches of foam inside is going to make it impossible for you to wear.

I will just be using the guts of a skate helmet that I got.

They come right out of the helmet, as they are velcro-ed in, and i bought a butt load of velcro for my suit.

So, I use the same helmet insert from my skate helmet, insert velcro into my chief helmet, and swap the helmet guts as required.

I don't plan on jumping out of a plane, or getting shot in the head, so I won't personally need the military grade stuff.

This is what I have been using:

3.jpg

You can get cheap hard hats from pawn shops, resale shops, garage sales, or you can just get the liner at hardware stores or ebay.

They are adjustable, and can be removed easily if you need to do any repairs. It also provides more airflow than a padded helmet. The weather stripping option is great as well. You can use the foam strips to help keep arms/legs in place so they don't flip around when you move.

i like maxphobia's idea for the cheap padding (i've actually seen that before but it didnt click until he posted the link) but i think that the exo-700 padding looks better, which is what i'm going with. the exo-700 padding looks very professional in my opinion. here is a picture of it inside of a motorcycle helmet for those who don't know

caberg-sintesi-helmet-liner.jpg

that's not the exo-700 padding because i couldn't find a picture of the innards of the exo-700 helmet. but it looks very much like the innards of that helmet. in my opinion it looks better and would feel very comfortable. it costs about 30 bucks only also :)

the link for the exo-series padding:

http://shopping.scor...479B87D7AE2BE56

personaly im going to be taking sheet polystyrene and making a thin layer around the inside of teh helmet, then its glue gunning foam sections, Not sure what type of foam pads as everyone here has good suggestions. In the end I think it will be teh cheapest and easiest one I find to be honest. Everyone has had something that seems to work well.

and anyway, we all know, Its about the development in teh future that makes it fun. hehe....

tomb-stone said:
i like maxphobia's idea for the cheap padding (i've actually seen that before but it didnt click until he posted the link) but i think that the exo-700 padding looks better, which is what i'm going with. the exo-700 padding looks very professional in my opinion. here is a picture of it inside of a motorcycle helmet for those who don't know

caberg-sintesi-helmet-liner.jpg

that's not the exo-700 padding because i couldn't find a picture of the innards of the exo-700 helmet. but it looks very much like the innards of that helmet. in my opinion it looks better and would feel very comfortable. it costs about 30 bucks only also :)

the link for the exo-series padding:

http://shopping.scor...479B87D7AE2BE56

dam dude, that is some pro stuff right there. but problem, how will you know if it even fits the helmet you are making or are their some sort of thing that makes it take the shape of the helmet?

Last edited by a moderator:
The cheapest way that I've seen to pad a helmet involves about $5.00 in air conditioner weather seal foam stripping (Home Depot) and a can of 3M spray adhesive. You get something that holds very firm and looks professional.

DSC01451.jpg

as nice as that padding is on the website, i found that - that foam mattress topper actually works really well..

a circle in the top of the helmet, a strip across the back and sides and another fore the forehead did it for me. :)

the only thing is it gets a little warm...

I use this stuff a lot, and it works great as padding, and not just in helmets. For a cheaper solution, I've used those gel wrist-rests you use for computer mice. But that military stuff looks pretty sweet too, I need to check that out.

@ ONESHOTKILL: I actually got the idea before I read this to use the EXO-700 from another member on these forums. I would tell you their name, because they deserve all the credit, but I had read the post during the summer, so I have absolutely no idea who had made the post, and I feel bad for posting their idea. But they did say it was a slightly tight fit, but was very comfortable, and he didn't have to worry about the helmet getting lopsided or turning, and it's not loose at all. Apparently it is held into the helmet after using an adhesive that comes with it. it also conforms to the helmet. I personally wouldn't use it in EVA, but it would be good in helmets like the ODST or the Mark helmets, or even EOD. i don't think it would work in recon though.

And by the way............... I'M BAAAACK :D

Well, I'm seriously planning on using Foam Backer Rod to pad my helmet. I've got a massive surplus, because FBR is the primary ingredient in home-made Nerf darts, or Stefans. Well, a while back, I accidentally bought some that was a size too big. (5/8 inch over 1/2 inch) Well, that just won't fit my barrels, I can't return it, the cat ripped it up anyway (No way that's flying), and I've 20 or so feet of it lying around.

You can buy it at Lowe's for $2, or maybe Walmart will have it. For creature comfort, I'm gonna lay cloth over the padding. Great thing about this is you can lay it as thick as you want and fill the entire helmet, versus a few strategically placed pads. It also gives control over what space is open for, say, electronics.

This method's pretty similar to other Air Conditioner sealing strip methods, but I prefer it because it's slightly cheaper, especially for a Nerfer. Figure I might as well get that out there, in case anyone would like to try it.

I wanna point out that I've used FBR before in other padding instances, but never a helmet, so I'm just assuming it'll work well. Godspeed to anyone who tries it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back