Helmet Scaling Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellcat19

Hi, Ive been searching for a thread on scaling helmets specifically but only found information on armour, i know if id searched a little longer i probably would of found something but here it is. Im going to start building a Mark VI helmet and i need help on scaling it correctly, i have my head measurements but i dont know the formula and also, what is the norm as far as inner padding thickness and where is a good place to get some?

The reason there's no thread on helmet scaling only is because you do it the same exact way as the other armor pieces. There's no formula; you take your measurements and input them into Pepakura after having taken into account extra space for visor, padding, and electronics. I forgot what my head size was in comparison to the size helmet I made, but I think I added maybe about an inch to my head height to use as the helmet height. Don't be afraid to do some calculations based on photos of your head and how big you want the helmet to be over your head.

Regarding padding, this usually gets covered in people's build threads since everyone does it differently. (Check the Elite forum as a good starting point) Most common padding materials are EVA floor mats, low density foam, or motorcycle helmet pads.

you just gotta play around with a ruler man. measure and then try to picture it and then just add a few mm for space. i honestly fretted over the measurements soooo much, and i never had to do any remakes. one i got super lucky since i'd never attempted anything like this before but i also was a little OCD with measuring lol.

thanks guys, im pretty sure i got the scale right, but it might be a little short height wise, but ic an just use less padding there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back