"Help!" for: Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to begin my first build (MJOLNIR Mark VI) and I'm putting together a supply list so I can grab up whatever I can whenever I can. I have a basic understanding of rigging up electronics thanks to working with my dad on his N gauge layout, so I just need some general advice. Mostly I would like to know what mic and speaker system I should use and where in the helmet I should install it for the best sound quality. I'm new to audio electronics, so I'm a little lost. I want something realatively small but good quality, something that will give my voice that nice speaker sound. Coming from a fan of Red vs Blue, I want my voice to have that particular speaker sound. I know the Stormtroopers of the 501st manage it, but their forums are difficult for me to navigate. Secondly, I was wondering how many LEDs I should use per lighted area on the armor. I will likely use difused LEDs with a frosted plexiglass window and a silver backdrop. Should I use only one light, or two? I'm not looking to blind anyone, just to get an adequate glow.

One LED is plenty for each lit area. You can have two if you want. Diffusion is a must, they are not flashlights!

The stormtrooper guys do their trick with a voice modulator/changer. Since halloween is coming up, you can pick one up and install it in your helmet.

Try this search too, a couple of links down are some good results
http://www.google.com/search?q=501st+diy+voice+changer

Edit: 666 posts!

Thanks! Trying to navigate the 501st site and their individual forums and separate websites with a bad internet connection was murder and the only clear resource I found was a vague reference to about 5 different types of audio systems and no further links... Considering how bright LEDs are, I was pretty sure I only needed one, but I had to be certain. Again, thanks!

i just made this http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=voice+changer+kit&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=oBZ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:$fficial&prmd=imvns&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3383060969082335019&sa=X&ei=fP18TqrYEqjmiALF9pCiDg&ved=0CGkQ8wIwAQ its a digital voice changer, it changes your voice 3 octives below and higher than your original voice your regular voice, a robot voice and a vibrato effect to it as well, though i dont think you can get too close to the cannon voices it still is fun to use and pretty easy to make as well, you just need to get a speaker to go with it, not very hard to solder together and its pretty cheap too
afa12344e7cfeb844278.jpg

afa12344e7e9b4732713.jpg

and built this just now, im going to detatch the mics and attach them to my helmet so i can hear normally, as if i wasnt wearing a helmet

Please excuse me if this question has been answered already!

I'm looking to light up the eyes of my suit helmet. Fairly simple, right? However, I would like to still be able to wear the helmet and see decently through the eyes or eye area. Is there a way to set up the lights so they'll show on the outside but won't bother my eyes on the inside while at the same time avoiding overheating?

Thanks~

I'm working on modding a LED flashlight to use the already-wired together LED part to put into an Iron Man suit for for the arc reactor. Here's what I'm working with. I figured it would be a pretty easy solution that I could figure out myself, but being new to electronics, I've really got no idea what I'm doing wrong, so I figured I'd ask for some help since I can't get it to work outside of the tube it came in.

I've got two of the LED setups pictured so you can see what the top and bottom look like, and then the power source, and the switch. I'm wanting to make it more un-tube-like so I can better use it in the piece. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

picture of what I've got. http://i.imgur.com/kKCCo.jpg

Flashlight part looks perfect for a small sized arc reactor !

No problem, but you will need to get a solder iron. Snip off the spring and solder a wire in it's place, solder the other side of the wire to the battery pack in the appropriate location. The second wire will be added to the edges of the LED board, you can see the edge contacts there. Attach the other end to the other side of the battery pack.

If the LEDs don't light up after wiring, swap the two wires around on the battery pack.

No worries about skill level and solder irons. You can find some very good soldering tutorials on youtube.

Flashlight part looks perfect for a small sized arc reactor !

No problem, but you will need to get a solder iron. Snip off the spring and solder a wire in it's place, solder the other side of the wire to the battery pack in the appropriate location. The second wire will be added to the edges of the LED board, you can see the edge contacts there. Attach the other end to the other side of the battery pack.

If the LEDs don't light up after wiring, swap the two wires around on the battery pack.

No worries about skill level and solder irons. You can find some very good soldering tutorials on youtube.

Thanks for the help! Worked like a charm!

E77yk.jpg

I'm making a model M6D from Halo: CE, and I was thinking about making it have sounds and a flashing barrel when you pull the trigger. Would this be possible? Oh, and obviously, I'm a complete noob at electronics, so I have no experience with wiring or things like that. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Muzzle flash is dangerous to add to props and toys, is too real and you'll get yourself shot.

Sound effects are ok, have a few options depending on your budget. I like these USB programmable sound players from electronics123. I never could get gunfire to sound right, probably just need to play with the bitrate.
http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/it.A/id.3041/.f

Hey I'm going to be making a helmet (ODST Dutch helmet) in a few weeks with a friend and was wondering if I could add speakers in the ears (like some cheap headphone speakers) and a spot to put my phone in the helmet (iPhone)? I was thinking of getting some motorcycle helmet pads and making a "pocket" for the phone with the plug in for the speakers in the pocket. Would this work or should I just go without it (It isn't needed but would be cool)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back