"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok i think i can answer you question. i have a few friends that love doing helmets in specific and they love padding the crap out of them. one time they actually upholstered it just like a motor-cycle helmet and other times they put in this spray in foam fabric stuff kinda like felt but it all really matters on how much room you have left and how you intend to use your helmet.for me i am a pro paintballer and i pad the hell out of all the helmets i make even the armor but if i'm just wearing them to be flashy i just wear a balaclava on underneath

I thought of padding it with an old yoga mat that I already cut in pieces, do you think that would be sufficient?

Ok, so I am going to start my MKV suit as soon as I can print out all the pages and whatnot. I'm really excited about starting and I cant wait until it's all ready to wear to impress my friends. Since it's the MKV from the first Halo, I would like it to look a little polygonal and computer like. But what I am not so thrilled about is all this talk about Fiber-glassing. I know it's probably the surefire way for an awesome finish, but what I would prefer is to not use all the harsh chemicals. I can do it, it's not a problem, but are there any other pastes or finishes that I can use instead that may be a little easier? I heard that a quick finish I could try is wood glue mixed with a little bit of water. Does this work?

ok mr OldFox i believe that YES yoga mat would be very sufficient as padding as a mater of fact one of my friends used that once and it turned out nicely. Now mr. jona ye s the weight of paper would work but it might take a little bit more resin than usual because it will take quite a bit to soak into the paper but your paper choice, when coated enough, will provide a very hard sturdy piece of armor.

ok mikeburrito what i would use is a thing called lacker im not sure if i spelled it right but it sound right but ok back on subject lacker will provide a nice hard finish and it smooths itself out but you will have to use several layers but in the end it will look very nice

ok mr OldFox i believe that YES yoga mat would be very sufficient as padding as a mater of fact one of my friends used that once and it turned out nicely. Now mr. jona ye s the weight of paper would work but it might take a little bit more resin than usual because it will take quite a bit to soak into the paper but your paper choice, when coated enough, will provide a very hard sturdy piece of armor.

Thanks man you've been very helpful, much appreciated.

Thanks, that is really helpful :D

you both are welcome i am glad to help in any way possible and if either of you have any more questions just send me a private message and i will try my best to help you out

Hi, I don't know if this is the right area to be asking this, but here's my question. I am using 65lb paper and I was wondering if that is thick enough for when I start appying resin and fibreglass? I thought I should ask this befor I go much further. thanks
Jona

You need twice that weight. If you have made anything a bit larger, you've probably already noticed that the model won't hold it's shape even without resin. A more appropriate thread would have been the Pepakura Help!-thread, since your question is about pepping, not what comes after that.

Ok, so I am going to start my MKV suit as soon as I can print out all the pages and whatnot. I'm really excited about starting and I cant wait until it's all ready to wear to impress my friends. Since it's the MKV from the first Halo, I would like it to look a little polygonal and computer like. But what I am not so thrilled about is all this talk about Fiber-glassing. I know it's probably the surefire way for an awesome finish, but what I would prefer is to not use all the harsh chemicals. I can do it, it's not a problem, but are there any other pastes or finishes that I can use instead that may be a little easier? I heard that a quick finish I could try is wood glue mixed with a little bit of water. Does this work?

Fibreglass is not a "finish", it's more like the core of your model. If you want something non-toxic, you can use Aqua-Resin.

ok mikeburrito what i would use is a thing called lacker im not sure if i spelled it right but it sound right but ok back on subject lacker will provide a nice hard finish and it smooths itself out but you will have to use several layers but in the end it will look very nice

You probably mean "lacquer". Many of those products aren't exactly health-friendly either, though.

thank you for the spelling correction being that i am a blonde i make plenty of mistakes but it doesnt mean that i am not good at what i do

thank you for the spelling correction being that i am a blonde i make plenty of mistakes but it doesnt mean that i am not good at what i do

Nobody said that. I told you how to spell it correctly because you won't find anything on the internet if you type stuff wrong :)

homer-eating-popcorn-small-c78.jpg

Ok I have a quick question for you guys. Im Doing a Kamen Rider build, and want to fiber glass not only the inside but te out side as well.Dose anyone know if you have to sand the fiberglass down on the outside? I did read most of the tread and some metods came up.But i couldnt make heads or tails about what they ment. One way was to fiberglass and buff with some kind of (stone).What are they refering to when they said that? Im thinking maybe its some kind of sandpaper?It also says something about oil? Im not sure what to do about it.I need your advice one this.If anyone can tell me how to go about this, it would be great. Message or even just reply to this post would be nice.Also what kind of fiberglass should I use.Im trying to find some at home depo. But im not sure on witch one i should buy.

Ok I have a quick question for you guys. Im Doing a Kamen Rider build, and want to fiber glass not only the inside but te out side as well.Dose anyone know if you have to sand the fiberglass down on the outside? I did read most of the tread and some metods came up.But i couldnt make heads or tails about what they ment. One way was to fiberglass and buff with some kind of (stone).What are they refering to when they said that? Im thinking maybe its some kind of sandpaper?It also says something about oil? Im not sure what to do about it.I need your advice one this.If anyone can tell me how to go about this, it would be great. Message or even just reply to this post would be nice.Also what kind of fiberglass should I use.Im trying to find some at home depo. But im not sure on witch one i should buy.

Fibreglass is a pain to sand. You really don't want to do that. If you want the thing to be stronger, use two layers on the inside. You can use both fibreglass cloth and mat, almost any weight (that you'll find at a DIY market, anyway) will work.

Fibreglass is a pain to sand. You really don't want to do that. If you want the thing to be stronger, use two layers on the inside. You can use both fibreglass cloth and mat, almost any weight (that you'll find at a DIY market, anyway) will work.

Thanks Im just really nervus about this WIP im trying to make it look great on the outside.

Thanks Im just really nervus about this WIP im trying to make it look great on the outside.

Then you would accomplish the opposite by fiberglassing the outside, since you would lose a lot of detail. If you want it to "look great on the outside", then you can use Bondo Auto Body filler to smooth the parts and carve in details.

Ok so I have all my armor pepped and ready to go, I got my aqua resin in the mail today with my fiberglass, I know the basics, but is there any certain amount of coats or layers of resin I should put on and usually how long before I can slap another coat on? I know you onlu fiberglass the inside, I just need to know if there's a limit and how long I should give it before adding another coat.

alright well I did and it seems to have come out good, the glossy look I'm guessing means it worked, but the problem is it looks like I have some small dry spots here and there. Should I had another coat to the whole thing again, or just dab some aqua resin here and there, or just leave it the way it is?

i personally would put on another layer because i like to make sure that it is sure that all of the resin was soaked up by the paper and i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back