"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
What should I put on the ascus to make them smooth and curved????????
Help me please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LIKE THIS ????? :
imgres

hello, I'm Italian, I know what you put on the helmet to make it smooth and curved over to Bondo?

What should I put on the ascus to make them smooth and curved????????
Help me please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LIKE THIS ????? :
imgres

Excessive use of punctuation marks won't get you any additional attention. Or actually it might, but not the kind of attention you'd like.

I would have answered you the first time, but your question didn't make much sense to me. It still doesn't - you would use a body filler to smoothen a model, but Bondo is such a body filler and you already mentioned that. So what exactly do you want to know?

My generic tip at this point would be to read the stickies.

That one looks like a clay sculpt. You would make a mould of that to actually get a wearable model (look through the stickies for instructions on that). Doing it this way will give you a cast that is already pretty smooth.
The image before that was a paper model, reinforced with fibreglass. That would be a lot rougher and edgier, so you'd use a putty (like Bondo) to fill holes or create curved surfaces.

Again, you really should read though the forums. Tutorials and ongoing projects will give you a great impression of how things are done.

couple quick questions, first time builder. I'm making a Daft Punk helmet.

1)The cardstock is held together with masking tape. Will this be OK to resin or do I need to glue it?

2)Just the face part is cardstock and it's attached to a baseball helmet. I'm going to need to bondo some spots on the helmet. How do I prepare it? Do I put resin on the helmet, do I rough up the surface, or can I just slap the bondo right on it?

3)My dad has fiberglass tape. Can I use this to reinforce and if so... basically how should I use it? Inside or outside, does the resin go on it, can the bondo go over it, etc..

Thanks for your help!

edit to clarify: I'm using fiberglass resin

Just want to say thanx for the awsome tutorial youtube clips on that Reach helmet. Really helps me out big time when it comes to Doing my helmet up. Only one minor question, after the slushing part in the inside of the helmet was complete, and it was mentioned the foaming part.. I couldnt find the next part after that, only thing I could find was Details vids. I may have missed the links but I did check over and over but couldnt find anything. Again great great vids and as a new member here, anyone whos new should really watch this stuff. Not only does it help you prepare for your construction but also teach's you valued safety tips.

ps.. So after you pep the helmet, you resin it all over and do the bottom of the inside of the helmet when its flipped upside now, dont do the the sides (inside) of the helmet. From the views I seen you just basically leave that alone. After the resin is done and cured you start on the, sorry if i get the names wrong here (Rondo/Bondo??) and do the inside the helmet...if your going to do the slush method. If slush, slush it around and get everything on the insides, then let it set and cure. After thats is where I think I got lost on the youtube clips.. hehe so many clips. Iam guessing after that is the foaming part of the inside, then after that you start doing the details on the outside, making everything sharp. Have I got all that right so far??

Cheers
NobleEight

Hello all, this is my first post or the second i think. Im a student at an art college taking a prop building class, and my teacher made use build boxes for 12 hours and positive that she can not help me.

I've started work on an ODST helmet and I used pepakura, works brilliant, but most of the fine details are unseen, I had to use some clay to build up some of the bits. I was afraid that cardstock was to thin and that it would get wet and fall apart when I fiber glass(ed) and bondo(ed) how ever i used plaster strips and some sort of card board that i think you could use to make puzzles with, the result was it was strong and ridged but i ended up with some extra pieces, don't get me wrong it looks good for a first go.

so anyways what do you do for the process after pepakura, do you slap on the fiber glass and bondo? Because i don't know if it'll hold.

And HOW do you get that fine crevasse detail?

Basicly my problem is I have cats, and I don't know anywhere I could work where they wouldn't frolic

You could always work outside as well Pozzoh, this will give you the best possible ventilation and if you keep the cats inside then it solves your problem, otherwise...work outside and/or in a garage and put some form of an open cage type deal around the piece while you are waiting for it to finish/dry/cure.

I know this is probably a really noob question but I'm a bit confused. So I went to the store and bought the bondo in the picture, it says bondo fiberglassing resin on it but some of the conversations on here make it seem like resin and bondo are 2 different things. So what exactly is the difference between bondo and resin? Also, what is rondo and plasti dip, and if I were to use all these products what order should I use them in?
20zeo92.jpg

So what exactly is the difference between bondo and resin? Also, what is rondo and plasti dip, and if I were to use all these products what order should I use them in?
Bondo is actually the brand of a line of auto repair products. Bondo makes the fiberglass resin (or simply resin for short) shown in your pic. When we speak of "bondo" (small "b"), we mean "auto body filler." Hope that clear it up.

So you would use bondo bodyfiller after using the Bondo resin?
Yes but you use the body filler on the outside.

Why the small B? Isn't "I'm using Bondo" like "I'm driving a Porsche" (with a capital P)?
Normally I would agree with this but in a forum where the terms fiberglass resin, resin and fiberglass often get mixed up by noobs, it had become a necessary to do it this way. Just like the brand name Google had become a verb and not just a noun, the brand Bondo had the same fate as well around here.

So you would use bondo bodyfiller after using the Bondo resin?

You really should go watch BenStreeper's videos on using bondo and fiberglass resin. They are inside this thread:

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/22923-How-To-Make-A-Helmet-From-Pep-To-Finish

I found them to be VERY helpful in understanding the process. Note that you'll have to hunt through that thread for all of them, as he spreads the process out over several videos. Most are about 6 minutes long. But it's like watching a nice TV show about the whole subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back