"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I resined and fiber glassed my helmet. Its been a few days and it still smells awful. How can I get rid of the smell and is the resin still toxic to breath while dry?

I wouldn't don my respirator when I go near it, but it's probably not exactly healthy either. As Gforce said, it will go away over time. I also hear that some sunlight can help, but I haven't tried that myself. If you don't have a sun at your place or don't want to wait a few weeks, you can just put on some paint or primer, that will seal the resin smell in. Takes a bit to dry as well, though.

Not as far as I know. Mine didnt smell for too long after i think but I am used to the smell of it all. I am not one of those safety conserned types though and I dont even wear a resperator when working with these chemicals in my basement. Once you start the bondoing proces the smell will be gone and it will be repaiced by the smell of bondo but when you finish it all and its covered with paint there will be no smell at all. :)

Where can I find Fiberglass, Resin, or Bondo?
Does anyone know how to prepare them and use them on a Pepakura helemt?
What should I do before I use them, after I finished the cut out process of the helmet?

What should I do before I use them, after I finished the cut out process of the helmet?

you can find all that stuff at any autobody shop supply store,

just make sure you get some spreaders and make sure the **** is all complete and comes with hardener. they are all easy to prepare and your best bet is to just watch some youtube videos on fibreglass so you get the full experience.

just make sure the surface is ready to accept glass or bondo, usually a light sanding is all you need to do.

Just today I got fiberglass cloth, mat, fiberglass resin, and Bondo body filler from my local Walmart. (BTW that stuff isn't even on their site) - It's in the Auto section, and is a good substitute if an autobody shop isn't close to your house.
@lornesbored - Youtube videos really seemed to help a lot throughout every part of the building process. One thing, just make sure you watch your use of the s word on the forum. I'm very lenient about vulgar language, but I'm just letting you know that there are 405th members of all ages, and those kind of words might not be quite suitable to some.

Not as far as I know. Mine didnt smell for too long after i think but I am used to the smell of it all. I am not one of those safety conserned types though and I dont even wear a resperator when working with these chemicals in my basement. Once you start the bondoing proces the smell will be gone and it will be repaiced by the smell of bondo but when you finish it all and its covered with paint there will be no smell at all. :)

Not sure if you meant that seriously or as a joke, but you actually DO get used to the smell and start to perceive high concentrations as far lower.

Also, get a respirator, especially when working inside. Or if you insist on ruining your health, at least don't say so here. Many people come here with the intention to build something quickly and cheaply. Respirators are neither, so they don't really want one in the first place and if they find only a single post where somebody claims to work without one, they will take that over a hundred other posts that do recommend it, simply because it's the easier thing to do.

I guess it's sticky time for you! :)

... and I dont even wear a resperator when working with these chemicals in my basement. .

But you have told other people living in the house about the potential risks of what you are putting into the air you share with them? You (and they) have studied the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) and decided that hanging on to your $30 is worth the risk of:

"... Prolonged or repeated exposure may cause:
Neurological Effects: Signs/symptoms may include personality changes, lack of coordination, sensory loss, tingling or numbness of the extremities, weakness, tremors, and/or changes in blood pressure and heart rate.
Ocular Effects: Signs/symptoms may include blurred or significantly impaired vision.
Immunological Effects: Signs/symptoms may include alterations in the number of circulating immune cells, allergic skin and/or respiratory reaction, and changes in immune function..."​
From the MSDS for the resin located here: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSuUn_zu8l00xM8tvNxm1Mv70k17zHvu9lxtD7SSSSSS--

Or from the filler MSDS (whateveryone here typically calls "Bondo"):
" ... Pneumoconiosis: Sign/symptoms may include persistent cough, breathlessness, chest pain, increased amounts of sputum, and changes in lung function tests..."​
MSDS here - http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSuUn_zu8l00xM8tvn8tSmv70k17zHvu9lxtD7SSSSSS--

But you have told other people living in the house about the potential risks of what you are putting into the air you share with them? You (and they) have studied the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) and decided that hanging on to your $30 is worth the risk of:

"... Prolonged or repeated exposure may cause:
Neurological Effects: Signs/symptoms may include personality changes, lack of coordination, sensory loss, tingling or numbness of the extremities, weakness, tremors, and/or changes in blood pressure and heart rate.
Ocular Effects: Signs/symptoms may include blurred or significantly impaired vision.
Immunological Effects: Signs/symptoms may include alterations in the number of circulating immune cells, allergic skin and/or respiratory reaction, and changes in immune function..."​
From the MSDS for the resin located here: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSuUn_zu8l00xM8tvNxm1Mv70k17zHvu9lxtD7SSSSSS--

Or from the filler MSDS (whateveryone here typically calls "Bondo"):
" ... Pneumoconiosis: Sign/symptoms may include persistent cough, breathlessness, chest pain, increased amounts of sputum, and changes in lung function tests..."​
MSDS here - http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSuUn_zu8l00xM8tvn8tSmv70k17zHvu9lxtD7SSSSSS--

People never understand until they've had someone in their life die due to sensitivity to chemicals, I lean on the safe side and I always always always wear my PPE. I work in the Automotive industry and every painter, and I repeat EVERY painter I've met who has been doing it for more than 3 years has neurologicial problems or various other aliments attributed to those choice few times they decided not to wear their air supplied respirators when painting in the booth, or when clearing. Because some of them say they never wear it while they prime, or when they clear because of the paint being 'waterborne'.

If you keep doing that, you WILL kill yourself, or make yourself so sensitive to it that your life will be dramatically reduced... and all for Halo armour? not worth it.

People never understand until they've had someone in their life die due to sensitivity to chemicals, I lean on the safe side and I always always always wear my PPE. I work in the Automotive industry and every painter, and I repeat EVERY painter I've met who has been doing it for more than 3 years has neurologicial problems or various other aliments attributed to those choice few times they decided not to wear their air supplied respirators when painting in the booth, or when clearing. Because some of them say they never wear it while they prime, or when they clear because of the paint being 'waterborne'.

If you keep doing that, you WILL kill yourself, or make yourself so sensitive to it that your life will be dramatically reduced... and all for Halo armour? not worth it.

definatly agree with this, simply because my best friend's brother died from this type thing, he was in the auto painting buisness and never wore a respirator. ALWAYS, ALWAYS wear a RESPIRATOR when working with paint, resin, and bondo, or any other type of toxic chemical,ALWAYS. if the instructions recommend wearing one, then Wear IT. i even wear one when working with bleach

Not quite sure what you mean, you could try to be a little clearer about what you need help with.

Nonetheless I'm either guessing you want to either attach a piece to itself so you don't have to slide it onto your arm and it can just be clipped on. I've seen parachute clips work very well for this particular technique you could probably just use epoxy or fiberglass to attach it on.

Or your trying to attach, say the forearm to the bicep so it looks like it's all part of the armor. Normally with most all armor I've seen there is just an undersuit with the pieces being individually situated onto you.

Or you might not be asking either one of these questions I don't quite understand what your asking. so if you could be more specific about what your saying I (or someone else) could help you better.

can somebody tell me what should i use to join parts of my armor after i resin and fiber it???

Well, if Omega Ravager didn't hit the right answer, this is the last thing I can think of that you could have meant: You want to attach, say, the shoulder-armour-plate thingy to the piece that goes around your upper arm. For that, I would suggest glue. Resin works as well, preferably epoxy or something similar with high adhesive power.

I have a questions and I haven't found an answer here or on RPF. Hopefully I just didn't overlook it...

1) Rondo vs. Fiberglass: How much heavier is rondo than fiberglass? Also, how much thicker is it?
2) Joint Compound: I've heard of some people using joint compound instead of bondo for details and I know you have to primer it for it to achieve its full level of hardness. How durable is it after priming? is it prone to cracking? for making armor that I plan to wear should I stick with bondo even though it's difficult to work with?

That's all the questions I have... for now haha. Thanks in advance for the help!

Ive found that Rondo increases the weight of a helmet quite a bit. I had a hard time getting fiberglass into the front of my helmet visor and I was also close to sanding through part of the top, so i added a bit of rondo to it. Well, after adding a fair bit of rondo to the visor and top of the helmet, I noticed that there was alot more strain on my neck than before. Of course it could just be that adding rondo to the visor made the helmet slightly imbalanced. That said, fiberglass is the best option if weight is a concern.
-Gryphon

cool, thanks Gyrphon! I think what I'm going to do is fiber glass the inside and instead of bondo or joint compound on the outside, use rondo. That way I get an even coat. I also heard rondo is easier to sand than bondo. if this is wrong, please correct me!

and instead of bondo or joint compound on the outside, use rondo. That way I get an even coat.

The goal is not to have the whole model covered in Bondo or Rondo. If the surface of the paper model just happens to coincide with the desired shape, then leave it as it is.

well I'm making an iron man (mk6) costume and it has a lot of rounded parts. I just wanted to build up enough so that when I sand the corners down I'm not going through the paper. I figured I would use rondo to cover the pieces because there are many things that need to be rounded and rondo would provide an easy way to build it up the pieces so I can sand them down.

If you guys think just using bondo and the parts that need rounding is a better idea please let me know. I appreciate all the advice I've gotten so far. I'm very new to this and just want to go about things the best possible way.

ok so i finally bought some fiberglass and resin yesterday and i have some questions
1)I built my armor from 90lb cardstock and scotch tape so how would the resin effect it?
2)Some models such as my helmet and back/chest(iron man/war machine) are in parts and held together by painters tape so i was thinking of resining in sections at a time to make sure the parts stay in place. i was also thinking of putting some stips on fiberglass cloth over the seems to make sure the parts stay in place while i resin but that might be a bad idea. any pointers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back