"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok im going to nub here to. where can i fint some creap resin and how much, and can i just use resin or do i have to use fiberglass to?
Biggest tip I can give you: If you want to save MONEY, then spend the time to search the forums ^_^.

That happens when the resin begins to catalyze and harden. I usually stop when I start seeing them because sanding down those resin globs can be pain especially when they are left in the grooves.
Perhaps you might be adding too much hardener as well and dealing with less time to work with it? But yes, as soon as you see the globs, STOP. It helps to mix SMALL amounts of resin and use 1-3 drops less of hardener than it suggests so you have longer to deal with it before it globs, and waste less resin.

how do i put fiberglas in hard-to-reach places like the visor on a MK V helmet

Not easy. If you plan to wear your helmet to crash on something (like a motorcyle helmet), you may want to put in the fiberglass carefully. If you want to wear it just for fun, you may want to look into rondo. It is basically a mixture of 1 part resin and 1 part bondo together. Slushing the mixture around the helmet to fill in the hard-to-reach places. Rondo is strong after it dries, but it is still not as strong as fiberglass. If you drop the helmet from high places, it will probably crack. See my ODST thread.

i am starting from scratch on my first suit so i have no idea how much resin and bondo i should buy. any ideas?

As a starting point, a single quart can of resin and a single can of Bondo will work.

I ended up using a little less than 4 packets of fiberglass, about a quart and a half of resin, and 2 full cans of Bondo (which was also used for a weapon prop).

This is all assuming you're using the "Bondo" brand of materials found at Wal-Mart, home improvement stores, and auto stores.

Not necessarily. I should have been more clear. I ended up using more than a quart of each, but I started off by only buying one of each. When I needed more, I bought more. Simple as that.

Also, this was only one layer of fiberglass on all pieces. It's not uncommon to do several layers for even more strength.

so a quart of both resin and a quart of bondo will be good for an entire suit?

Since your working on your first suit with no real experience to speak of you should plan to use 3-4 quarts of resin and 1 to 1.5 gallons of Bondo. And you may use more before your finished with a suit.

This is for two reasons.

1) Rondo is the best method for new builders but requires you to plan for more a little more material.

2) You WILL end up wasting more material than you think. It is just the nature of the beast that as you learn exactly what mixtures work for you, you will end up wasting material. Your speed, skill, weather, and personal choice all play a factor in what ratios of resin-to-bondo-to-hardener you will need.

Basically it comes down to this. Spitfire is dead on correct that you should start out with one quart of each. You will be more aware of how much you use when you know you only have a little bit to work with. Once you get an idea of the mixtures from the first quarts, then you can begin to plan for the larger quantities.

so a quart of both resin and a quart of bondo will be good for an entire suit?

I agree with Spitfire. It depends on your ultimate goal too. You may want to try a quart of both to see if you like building armor. It takes time and a lot of effort. You may discover that you don't have a nack of armor building and decide to drop this hobby.

However, if you are determine to finish a costume, I would recommend that you buy a gallon of each. You will have more than enough to do an armor and some weapons. It is cheaper if you buy both in larger size. At Wal-Mart, a quart of bondo cost around $8. A gallon costs $21. You save almost $10.

Hey guys, another question for you all. How many layers of resin should I put on my piece before glassing? I've resin'd several pieces already but I've noticed that some people recommend a layer or two more. Is one layer fine or should I put more on?

Hey guys, another question for you all. How many layers of resin should I put on my piece before glassing? I've resin'd several pieces already but I've noticed that some people recommend a layer or two more. Is one layer fine or should I put more on?

It's up to you really. Like you've already observed, some people advise to do several layers. I only did one resin layer on the outside of my armor before fiberglassing, and it seemed to work out fine.

one more question

hey guys,
first of all i want to thank everyone who has given me advice on what i need to do to get started on my first suit.
my question is for said suit should i use rondo or should i fiberglass? what are the pros and cons of each method? i.e. cost, time, durability, weight
(suit will be Halo 3 MK V if it helps)
~themeta
(edit) if rondo is the way to go, how much resin and bondo should i mix? If fiberglass, how many layers should i put on?

Theoretically, you don't have to resin it at all if your cardstock is strong enough. But if you use the usual 110 lbs cardstock, I'd say do one very (very!) light layer and then another two that are a bit thicker. Since each coat needs to cure before you apply the next, you can just check the strength yourself between coats.

Yeah, can we stop replying to people too lazy to look?

if you don't like the answer you should refrain from responding. Your answer clearly states you are lazy in looking for the answer that has been discussed. We always have issue with noobs wanting an answer immediately. Most of the vets know this and most of the vets are tired of repeating the answers. That's why we have stickies. If you ask nicely we may answer. Your respond may very well make you unwelcome. Any of us can report any infractions and get you banned. Be careful!

if you don't like the answer you should refrain from responding. Your answer clearly states you are lazy in looking for the answer that has been discussed. We always have issue with noobs wanting an answer immediately. Most of the vets know this and most of the vets are tired of repeating the answers. That's why we have stickies. If you ask nicely we may answer. Your respond may very well make you unwelcome. Any of us can report any infractions and get you banned. Be careful!

I liked the answer quite well, and was in fact agreeing with it and taking it one step further. Perhaps you should think about what I meant instead of getting mad, because I think you misread something.
Also you said I asked a question that was already answered. Take a look at who asked what questions, I have not asked any questions that have not been answered.
However, I do now have a couple of questions... How did I make an infraction? Also, how does my answer state I am lazy? I'm merely pointing out what you said "Most of the vets are tired of repeating the answers. That's why we have stickies." I think you're getting a little offended a lot too easily. I'm merely making a suggestion that perhaps this thread should have a final post of "Please read all stickies." and then it should be locked. I do use the search bar and am also a vet who has offered much insight on this forum, thanks. ^_^

Come on now, giving new members a place to ask questions is precisely the purpose of this thread. If you don't think they're worth your time, then don't read them.

And before we go and bash all the stupid noobs, it may be smart to look back at our own questions and reconsider our attitude. Everybody has not-so-smart days every now and then and none of us were born with unending wisdom.

Come on now, giving new members a place to ask questions is precisely the purpose of this thread. If you don't think they're worth your time, then don't read them.

And before we go and bash all the stupid noobs...

Ventrue, I've read your posts quite a lot and I do respect you because you are always helpful. I think you misunderstood my meaning. I was going to give an answer on the pro and con of rondo and fiberglass...then the one line, "lazy answer" that got me sidetracked. One line of being lazy is not helpful, plus it conveys a message to tell someone to shut up. A few months ago someone said, "don't tell me to read all the stupid stickies!" That was something. I'll just sign-off by saying if I offended anyone I apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back