"Help!" for: Foam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed there isn't a cardboard thread. can you use the foam techniques on cardboard?

For the most part yes. there are some subtle differences, for example you don't want the edges of cardboard showing as much as if you were to make a piece out of foam. You also can't round a cardboard surface like you can foam. However, I have been using cardboard to make prototypes for foam, and they look pretty cool as is. You can check out my build thread if you wanna see it. If you are looking for an inexpensive starting material, cardboard is good way to go.

if I don't have a hot knife, what is the best way to cut the foam?

Also, once the foam is cut, what is the best way to neaten the messier edges up?

The best way to cut foam is a fresh, sharp blade. When the blade starts to hint that it's cutting ragged, switch to a new blade. You can go through a lot of blades cutting foam.

if I don't have a hot knife, what is the best way to cut the foam?

Also, once the foam is cut, what is the best way to neaten the messier edges up?

The best way to cut foam is a fresh, sharp blade. When the blade starts to hint that it's cutting ragged, switch to a new blade. You can go through a lot of blades cutting foam.

this is the knife i use for my cutting of foam.. Stanley Fatmax

it also has 6replacement blades in a convienient holder in the handle. it is very sharp, very precise, and even though its a snapofff blade, i did all the pieces on my chest (see my EOD thread) and i havent had to change out any pieces yet. with the cleaning up of messy edges, a small sharp hobby blade or scalpel will do the trick nicely, or a touch of sandpaper. Also recomend putting a plastic chopping board or the like under the foam when cutting unless your not that fond of the surface you are working on :)

hope this helps :)

Jimmay!

Is it bad to cut foam indoors with a hot knife? I did one cut and it had a bad smell, Should I be using it outside? I chose a hot knife because I am not very good at cutting with regular exacto knifes

Is it bad to cut foam indoors with a hot knife? I did one cut and it had a bad smell, Should I be using it outside? I chose a hot knife because I am not very good at cutting with regular exacto knifes

You shouldn't need to be outside, if you can set your work-desk up or whatever you're working on right by an open window with a fan, that should help circulate some air and keep it clean, You probably don't want to be sealed in a room with those fumes.

Hello, I am having issues finding a foam template for a halo reach female thigh. The one from L3X's does not fit me, it is too small and doesnt fit around the top of my thigh, Im trying to find one that doesnt wrap all the way around on the top

Hello, I am having issues finding a foam template for a halo reach female thigh. The one from L3X's does not fit me, it is too small and doesnt fit around the top of my thigh, Im trying to find one that doesnt wrap all the way around on the top

This might be fixed by simply adjusting the scale through the Pepakura program. As for the top, you could simply leave off the pieces you don't want to use.

I know i have adjusted it, but I dont want to keep making the length longer so that it looks to long on my leg. and I wanted to try a different one because the edge would be so straight? sorry I dont know how to explain it

Perhaps a good place to start then would be to find a model with better fitting proportions and ask for a foam-friendly unfold to be made for it. The database only has one foam reach thigh, but there may be other models that were unfolded for pep that could be converted for foam. If you still can't find something that works for you, it might come down to building it free-hand, which is something quite a few people have found to be the best solution, as we don't all have spartan-esque proportions.

Hey guys,

I have a couple questions I'm hoping can be answered. I am currently starting a H4 MK VII build and I found these files from KingRahl over at 4shared http://www.4shared.com/folder/f5KxjPlk/Foam_templates_Beta.html and I am wondering if anyone has used these or knows if they're legit or not, any better ones. Another thing is I don't know if I am over thinking this putting the pieces together because I started doing pep using paper, but I can not really tell how some of these foam pieces are suppose to fit together because of the way they look in Pep designer or viewer? It seems like some of the things left in just really didn't need to be cause they are covered by another piece right on top of them. Any help or ideas of what I am doing wrong?

Hey guys, I am going to start a foam build and would like to know what thickness of foam is good for a build? I found 3/8 inch on amazon and wasn't sure if should get that or a thicker foam.

I would say having a variety of thicknesses would be helpful, but 1/2 an inch would be a good thickness to use.

2 questions:

1) What is the best way to get clean seams on the foam pieces if you're using hot glue?

2) How do I go about using my soldering iron to draw in some details in the foam?

Thanks!

2 questions:

1) What is the best way to get clean seams on the foam pieces if you're using hot glue?

2) How do I go about using my soldering iron to draw in some details in the foam?

Thanks!

1) A little goes along ways. I tend to run a bead down the edge and then use the side of the glue gun tip to spread the glue bead out. Work in small sections and don't take to long or it will setup/harden before you get your pieces together. The nice thing is; if it does set/harden before you get your pieces together you can use the side of the tip to reheat the glue and clean your edge off to try again. I use scrap pieces of foam to wipe off the excess glue that gathers on the glue gun tip.

2) All I can say here is practice on some of your scraps. And I have used the glue gun tip, a solder iron. I've also played with acetone and other chemicals to melt/eat into the foam. Sometimes I just make cuts with an exacto blade and tear the chunks out. Play with it. And don't be afraid to think outside the box. Just play with scraps and get comfy with your process before you dig into your armor pieces that you've worked so hard to create.

Hope this helps.

FD

Can anyone who is foam costume savvy give me a rundown of some of the steps involved in taking a picture of a character and turning into a costume?

I have a fair grasp of the back end of the process (cut, heat, bend, score, fold, glue, PVA, paint, attach, big grin, lie down) but the process of turning a 2D picture into a 2D pattern that can be made into a 3D costume is one that I'm struggling to make sense of.

For example, let's say that a person were fixated on the character in the image below... and really wanted to turn it into a costume...
The main thing to do is look at the image, and try to work out the basic scale and shape of each piece. Then you try to sketch the templates, and see how it goes. I would recommend reading this as well: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/29532-Reach-UNSC-Trooper-WIP

I scanned through all 8 pages, and searched for quite a bit, but i couldn't find an answer to my question. I wanted to know what is the best glue for gluing EVA foam armor to an underarmor compression undersuit, I don't think hot glue would be one of the better routes for gluing large pieces to the compression top, so what other options are out there ?? I know of some really wicked stuff that glues pretty much everything together called barge cement, but don't have any experience using it, does anyone here have experience using barge or any other type of liquid glue to glue foam armor to under suits ??

Thanks guys and gals,
-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back