"Help!" for: Misc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: "Help!" for: Misc...

Dirtdives is the only currently active member I know that works with foam board. He may have an answer for you. Or at least check out his threads, he's doing some FB builds right now.

Thanks PerniciousDuke. Keep those treads in mind. I intend to get back to it soon.

ChaosDynasty, ​Iv'e mostly used spackle on drywall and miniature scenery pieces. i know that there are some who have used it instead of bondo to some limited success, but those were on armor or helmet pieces. And those were ridged pieces using pep and fiberglass interior. Foam board has some give to it, more than enough to break spackle. I don't recommend mixing the 2 types, 1 ridged and 1 semi flexible. You are going to end up w/ cracks all along the seams until the tape rips and the spackle will start to flake off. It will look like a crack on a wall running along the joint between 2 slabs of drywall. My suggestion is plasta dip. It will cover all the seams. I know you are trying to keep the cost down but keep one thing in mind......if you don't seal the edges of the FB, your spray paint will melt the foam center. The plasta dip will seal it up and you could spray away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might take that route then, thanks.

I also have a few other questions. I plan to do a Tex build for my armor. Being completely new to this, I'm a bit leary to jumping right to a halo 3 level build, but my helmet is the halo 3 version. would it be a bad idea to do a halo 1 version of the armor while having a halo 3 style helmet?, or should I attempt to build a new helmet for halo 1 as well?

Also, how adverse are people to using cardboard? I'm honestly trying to find the cheapest way to do things (as I am poor beyond belief).

I might take that route then, thanks.

I also have a few other questions. I plan to do a Tex build for my armor. Being completely new to this, I'm a bit leary to jumping right to a halo 3 level build, but my helmet is the halo 3 version. would it be a bad idea to do a halo 1 version of the armor while having a halo 3 style helmet?, or should I attempt to build a new helmet for halo 1 as well?

Also, how adverse are people to using cardboard? I'm honestly trying to find the cheapest way to do things (as I am poor beyond belief).

If memory serves, someone in the service over in the Middle-East built a suit out of cardboard and it came out fantastic. I can't remember who.....somebody chime in on this one please........Also, not having a full suit myself, I'm not so sure that anyone but die-hard HALO fanatics would know the difference if you pieced together armor that appealed to your artistic style and your life-style. And even if they did they would probably point out the good aspects of the build.......point out areas that you could improve on and how to do so if asked......very giving and helpful group here. As PerniciousDuke said, I'm making several items out of foam board. Mostly because I get scrap pieces from work for free. So going the cheap way.....sometimes is the best way.

hi , i see that everyone here is building armors and weapons and stuff like that....
good job everyone by the way...
all the photos that i seen are great...

I am wondering if anyone can help me .... on how to make a female mannequin in smaller scale .... i was looking for something to build it in the web about 2 months now and i accidently came up with pepakura and this forum....

is there a thread that someone knows that can help me...? i m trying to read all the threads but there are alot.....

hi , i see that everyone here is building armors and weapons and stuff like that....

I am wondering if anyone can help me .... on how to make a female mannequin in smaller scale .... i was looking for something to build it in the web about 2 months now and i accidently came up with pepakura and this forum....

is there a thread that someone knows that can help me...? i m trying to read all the threads but there are alot.....

Would it not be easier to just buy a mannequin? We make costumes so I don't know if you'll find much help in that field here. :/ Sorry

Would it not be easier to just buy a mannequin? We make costumes so I don't know if you'll find much help in that field here. :/ Sorry

For both of you: you may want to consider looking into how to make a duct-tape dummy. For costuming on a budget, these can be a lot more cost-effective, and there's a much better chance of your mannequin being correct to the body size you're working on.

There is a youtube video on making a duct tape mannequin. It's very simple and you get your measurements 100% accurate since the mannequin is base off your exact dimensions.....You will need a second person though......

For both of you: you may want to consider looking into how to make a duct-tape dummy. For costuming on a budget, these can be a lot more cost-effective, and there's a much better chance of your mannequin being correct to the body size you're working on.

Thanks Chernobyl! That is a great idea! I may look into making one as well. :)

Harbor Freight has the same 4 pack for $10. They just raised their prices but they have sales every so often and they go for $8. Not sure if that is going to help you in Canada..........they do ship but the cost would go up much higher....

Harbour freight isn't good for shipping to Canada.

Agent, I get mine at Home Depot. $13 for the 4 pack, $15 and change after tax.

"I'm just a witness"

help!! I just started resining some part pepakura model and let it's out in the open so that it's cure faster but disaster struck and it's got wet and totally warped half of it's at least. it's totally messy and totally warped. Can this be saved ? or fixed when it's dry? or it's just totally lost cause and I should just remake as it's really time consuming to remake it again and spend like a week for it

help!! I just started resining some part pepakura model and let it's out in the open so that it's cure faster but disaster struck and it's got wet and totally warped half of it's at least. it's totally messy and totally warped. Can this be saved ? or fixed when it's dry? or it's just totally lost cause and I should just remake as it's really time consuming to remake it again and spend like a week for it

Unfortunately you'll have to make it again. This has happened to me a few times when the weather suddenly changes, and there's not really anything you can do to salvage it.

Unfortunately you'll have to make it again. This has happened to me a few times when the weather suddenly changes, and there's not really anything you can do to salvage it.
Welp there goes 1 week of my work. I guess I made it again later on

Hey I have a question about my helmet. I made a Halo Reach Gungnir helmet, and what makes it unique is the lack of a visor. So I'm going to put my phone in it, but I don't know how I'll make it stay in place. I have a Galaxy S6 Edge Plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back