"Help!" for: Papercraft or Pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there's some warping to a piece how would I best be able to fix that before moving onto resin/bondo/fiberglass? If I move it back with my hands it looks right but it springs back to looking wrong once I take the pressure off. I was thinking popsicle sticks as an internal support to make it look right. Is there an easier or better way to go about making it right?

If there's some warping to a piece how would I best be able to fix that before moving onto resin/bondo/fiberglass? If I move it back with my hands it looks right but it springs back to looking wrong once I take the pressure off. I was thinking popsicle sticks as an internal support to make it look right. Is there an easier or better way to go about making it right?

Cut a piece of cardboard and hot glue it inside. It works much better than popsicle sticks.

Cut a piece of cardboard and hot glue it inside. It works much better than popsicle sticks.
this also helps when you use printer paper or weak cardstock~
now I have a question, this is geared more towards the ladies though, with the basic Halo 3 thigh pieces, how difficult is it to get those to fit right? I mean i'll admit I have pretty big thighs..but it should be ok since im a pretty small person and most men would have the same size in fat/muscle right?

Hey Guys,

Quick Question, I'm scaling my armor at the moment and was wondering if under the print and paper setting orientation mattered whether its landscape or portrait, i know the printer setting have to be on landscape but im not sure about the other settings.

I'm also having a problem with my Pep pieces, they're not fitting in the dotted lines; Would i have to change the side margins and make them greater than 5?

Thanks!

I'm also having a problem with my Pep pieces, they're not fitting in the dotted lines; Would i have to change the side margins and make them greater than 5?

Thanks!

Do you mean the pieces span more than one page? 5 is the smallest margin most printers can do, and if you increase it, it will reduce the amount of room on each page. Either your scaling is up too high, or you need to go into Pepakura Designer and rotate to get them to fit, edit the faces to break it into smaller pieces, or just try and assemble them by attaching the pages together. I have to do that last one a lot for the support struts on the pieces.

I'm getting ready to make my chestpiece. I measured my chest width at 12" so I'm scaling it to 13.75" width on the model... does this sound reasonable? I'm asking because the chest pep file came as 150mm wider than I am, which raises some eyebrows

I'm getting ready to make my chestpiece. I measured my chest width at 12" so I'm scaling it to 13.75" width on the model... does this sound reasonable? I'm asking because the chest pep file came as 150mm wider than I am, which raises some eyebrows
gosh, that happened with my Reach chest plate too...I believe it just has to do with how the model is designed, personally i'm just going to try modifying mine to fit better. I could be wrong, so someone correct me if so

I'M using the Mark VI Flying Squirrel and scaling the height at 434mm and all the supports are like 2/3 off the page.

I'M using the Mark VI Flying Squirrel and scaling the height at 434mm and all the supports are like 2/3 off the page.
put them like this..
|---------|-----------||
|---------|-----------||
|---------|-----------|| <----other page border
|---------|-----------||
-------------- <----------Page break
|---------|-----------||
|---------|-----------||
|---------|-----------||
|---------|-----------||
|---------|-----------||
|________|-----------||
-\_______/-----------||

When you print it out, just cut at the page break and tape/ clue them together, it should be fine~

EDIT: had to add '---' between all the '||', symbolizing spaces

I've searched the Wiki but the Recon chestpiece shown only has the front, no back. Are you supposed to attach it to the back of a Mk VI or is there a file with a back piece?

Correct me if i'm wrong.

But from what i understand when i'm in Pepekura and i set the orientation on portrait and print on portrait settings there will be no re-sizing or distortion and vice versa for landscape. Is that right?

Thanks!

Hey guys help me out with Pepakura scaling.

I'm 5' 11'' and I am a decent build so I need to scale my armor. Width should be fine in my case but height needs to be readjusted..

What I am scaling: Mark VI right bicep made by ROBOGENESIS

Initial Height: 414 mm

Initial Width: 235 mm

Initial Depth: 190 mm

Initial Scale Factor: 86.000

So, using the formula for scaling i take my height in inches, add it by 4 inches and that gives me 75 inches. Right?
Now I divide 75 by 86 (Master Chief's height in inches.) That gives me 0.87209302.
Now do I multiply 0.87209302 by the current scale factor of 86? Because that gives me 74.9999997.

So I'm not sure if that is correct so I'll post how that changes my height, width, and depth on my pep file.

That now gives me:
-a Height of 361 mm
-a Width of 205 mm
-and a Depth of 166 mm

Please let me know if my math is correct and if it will fit me well. Thanks in advance.

Hey guys help me out with Pepakura scaling.

I'm 5' 11'' and I am a decent build so I need to scale my armor. Width should be fine in my case but height needs to be readjusted..

What I am scaling: Mark VI right bicep made by ROBOGENESIS

Initial Height: 414 mm

Initial Width: 235 mm

Initial Depth: 190 mm

Initial Scale Factor: 86.000

So, using the formula for scaling i take my height in inches, add it by 4 inches and that gives me 75 inches. Right?
Now I divide 75 by 86 (Master Chief's height in inches.) That gives me 0.87209302.
Now do I multiply 0.87209302 by the current scale factor of 86? Because that gives me 74.9999997.

So I'm not sure if that is correct so I'll post how that changes my height, width, and depth on my pep file.

That now gives me:
-a Height of 361 mm
-a Width of 205 mm
-and a Depth of 166 mm

Please let me know if my math is correct and if it will fit me well. Thanks in advance.
convert your units here~ http://www.convertunits.com/from/mm/to/inches
Im not quite sure I understand what your doing.... heres a tutorial for how to scale, for anyone who needs it http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31627-HaloGoddess-quot-How-To-Scale-quot-and-More-Tutorial

Correct me if i'm wrong.

But from what i understand when i'm in Pepekura and i set the orientation on portrait and print on portrait settings there will be no re-sizing or distortion and vice versa for landscape. Is that right?

Thanks!

It should print as portrait, as long as you have it selected in print settings, AND in your printer set up, it should go fine from there. When it comes time to print, just do a single sheet to make sure it all comes out 100%

@Reesy

Even with the scaling formulas it won't guarantee a perfect piece. For every piece I do, I print out a low-def (fewer faces/detail) model at the size I want, and then assemble it to get a good idea of what I need to change. The sense of relief is overwhelming when you make the tester and it comes out way too big/small, and it only took you 1-2 hours to find it out, rather than 6+ on a regular/high def model. You can find the low def stuff Here.

Hi all,

I've encountered a problem trying to print off a pep file. The first 9 pages printed perfectly, but for every page after that (I only printed a few more when I saw what happened) the numbers printed perfectly but there were no lines whatsoever, solid or dotted. I did nothing to the pep file while it was printing to cause it, and I've tried changing the print settings, but with no luck. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Asriel

Hi all,

I've encountered a problem trying to print off a pep file. The first 9 pages printed perfectly, but for every page after that (I only printed a few more when I saw what happened) the numbers printed perfectly but there were no lines whatsoever, solid or dotted. I did nothing to the pep file while it was printing to cause it, and I've tried changing the print settings, but with no luck. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Asriel

I've had that happen too! I'm not sure what causes it, but I was able to fix it by changing the thickness of print lines in the print settings. That may fix it for ya, if not I guess you'll need to print 9 at a time =/

The JediFraz links for the Master Chief builds are broken. What do I do?

Use different files. The All In One Pepakura Pack has them, the Costuming Wiki has them and the modeller's own threads probably still have them, too.

I have a reach pistol. The lines are red and blue. There is no design on the lines to tell the difference between the folds. I have a black and white only printer so I was wondering how can I put the designs back on the lines

I have a reach pistol. The lines are red and blue. There is no design on the lines to tell the difference between the folds. I have a black and white only printer so I was wondering how can I put the designs back on the lines

Click Settings/Other Settings, the necessary options are right in the middle of the dialoge box that will pop up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back