"Help!" for: Papercraft or Pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about printing the .PDO files. I have a Mac and the Pepakura viewer program is not available for Macs. Im sorry if this question has been asked and answered before, i tried searching but i did not come up with a solution. Thanks for the help sorry for being a noob.

I have a question about printing the .PDO files. I have a Mac and the Pepakura viewer program is not available for Macs. Im sorry if this question has been asked and answered before, i tried searching but i did not come up with a solution. Thanks for the help sorry for being a noob.

What is the question?

I just finished my Pep Mjolnir Mark VI. I want to go on to fiberglassing and resining, but I'm not sure which areas to fiberglass. I've seen some tutorials where the person fiberglasses the inside, or outside, or both. I'm not sure which to do. Can anyone help?

Hello there!
ok mi 1rs Q. how to correctly scale ur armor? cos ive seen tutorials n its simple but some parts r TOO BIG n others too small like a boot n using the same scale(26) im 69 inches +4=73inches
tnx ;D

I just finished my Pep Mjolnir Mark VI. I want to go on to fiberglassing and resining, but I'm not sure which areas to fiberglass. I've seen some tutorials where the person fiberglasses the inside, or outside, or both. I'm not sure which to do. Can anyone help?

Anything used for hardening only goes on the inside.

Hello there!
ok mi 1rs Q. how to correctly scale ur armor? cos ive seen tutorials n its simple but some parts r TOO BIG n others too small like a boot n using the same scale(26) im 69 inches +4=73inches
tnx ;D

Ur 1rs Q is rly hrd 2 reed!!1elevenLOLROFLZ

Use proper spelling and punctuation marks please, this is not kindergarden.

The scale factor varies between files, don't use it.

Read this: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31627-HaloGoddess-quot-How-To-Scale-quot-and-More-Tutorial

Thanks alot for the feedback. One other question. When I put the fiberglass strips on the inside of the helmet, can I attach them using hot glue or something so I have an easier time keeping them in there?

what grade cardstock should one us... i've notice some ppl are using a heavier grade so they don't need as much supports so i was wondering what grade would you guys recommend

Thanks alot for the feedback. One other question. When I put the fiberglass strips on the inside of the helmet, can I attach them using hot glue or something so I have an easier time keeping them in there?

It's not recommended. Just brush a very light coat of resin on the piece before applying the fiberglass cloth to it, position it, and then proceed to saturate with more resin. It should hold it's place just fine doing it that way.

I could use a hand in clear coat knowledge...suggestions on brands and whether or not it will have an adverse reaction with fiberglass resin...I was mainly hoping it would help seal the cardboard and make it so the resin wouldn't soften the card and warp the project/

I have already pepped my MJOLNIR Mark VI helmet. This being my first helmet I didn't scale it (because I didn't really know how to, and I wanted to see how It came out.) The helmet came out great, and I think it fits. The only problem is Im not sure how it should sit on my head. Like it is perfectly fine heightwise, but it is really big inside. Like if my head rests against the back there is like 4-6 inches (im not sure) between my nose and the visor. Is this how it is supposed to be? The only problem i would have with making it any smaller is the neck hole. The neckhole is the perfect size for my head to fit through, but if it was ANY smaller I wouldnt be able to fit my head inside. Should I just suck it up and put ALOt of padding in the face and back for a snug fit, or make it smaller but keeping the height and neckhole the same?

I have already pepped my MJOLNIR Mark VI helmet. This being my first helmet I didn't scale it (because I didn't really know how to, and I wanted to see how It came out.) The helmet came out great, and I think it fits. The only problem is Im not sure how it should sit on my head. Like it is perfectly fine heightwise, but it is really big inside. Like if my head rests against the back there is like 4-6 inches (im not sure) between my nose and the visor. Is this how it is supposed to be? The only problem i would have with making it any smaller is the neck hole. The neckhole is the perfect size for my head to fit through, but if it was ANY smaller I wouldnt be able to fit my head inside. Should I just suck it up and put ALOt of padding in the face and back for a snug fit, or make it smaller but keeping the height and neckhole the same?

It's very difficult, if not impossible, for us to provide assistance or advice without at least one or 2 photos showing you wearing the helmet. Four to six inches of extra space sounds like way too much though...

However, I will say that if you did not scale it, then there is a good chance it is too large as the default helmet size is more suited to actual Master Chief size (i.e. ~7 feet tall). Secondly, what reinforces this is that your helmet opening is comfortably wide enough for you to fit your head in as is. Don't worry too much about the neck opening, it's better to have the helmet sized correctly and then trim the opening a little bigger to get it to fit properly. Most people have to do this. Again, photos would help a lot.

Ok, I took some pictures. Can you tell if I should make a new one?

DSC00077.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

DSC00076.jpg

This is the helmet pushed all the way to my face
DSC00073.jpg

This is the helmet pushed to the back of my head
DSC00072.jpg

Unfortunately, it does look much too big, almost comically so. You could say you're a Bobble-head Master Chief if you want! :cool

If you'd like, I can offer 2 pieces of advice if you decide to remake the helmet for a better fit.

1. To risk offending the creator/unfolder of this model of MC's helmet, I'd suggest using another file. This was also the first helmet I made, and I much preferred using another file that had less folds and more curves so less finishing work was required.

2. Make sure that the bottom side of the brim part (the lid that sticks out) is level/horizontal. When I built this model, I also had this issue, so it just may be a problem with the model/unfold itself.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Unfortunately, it does look much too big, almost comically so. You could say you're a Bobble-head Master Chief if you want! :cool

If you'd like, I can offer 2 pieces of advice if you decide to remake the helmet for a better fit.

1. To risk offending the creator/unfolder of this model of MC's helmet, I'd suggest using another file. This was also the first helmet I made, and I much preferred using another file that had less folds and more curves so less finishing work was required.

2. Make sure that the bottom side of the brim part (the lid that sticks out) is level/horizontal. When I built this model, I also had this issue, so it just may be a problem with the model/unfold itself.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Spitfire22V, Yeah. I was thinking if I would remake it, I would use the same second model that you did in your build thread, because it looked alot smoother and sturdy. Do you know what model you did for the second, by any chance?
Also Spitfire, I read your thread on scaling, But how I didnt really learn how someone would scale a helmet. Which axis is best, and how high above and below your head (or front and back) should it be?

HElp with scaling ODST helmet

ok so i did the whole take your hiegth and divide it by 86 (master chiefs hieght) then i took that times the default scale to get my new scale just like halo costuming wiki sais then i printed the ODST helm out and started and relised about 1/3 of the way in that it was definatly gonna be to small so can anyone help me? btw in 72 in tall with the 3in added on if that helps PLEASE HELP!

Spitfire22V, Yeah. I was thinking if I would remake it, I would use the same second model that you did in your build thread, because it looked alot smoother and sturdy. Do you know what model you did for the second, by any chance?
Also Spitfire, I read your thread on scaling, But how I didnt really learn how someone would scale a helmet. Which axis is best, and how high above and below your head (or front and back) should it be?

Yes, I much preferred that 2nd model that ended up being the helmet I used. I got all of my Pep files from the All-in-One Halo Pepakura pack. If you don't have it, a quick search in here for it will most likely find it.

Anyway, that helmet file is called "HD MKVI Helmet 2", and is found in the "HD files" folder of the "Mark VI armor" folder. It has 66 pieces on 15 pages.

I'll be honest with you, helmet scaling is not quite as easy as other pieces like the shins or forearms. My quick and easy scaling tutorial is better suited to those kinds of pieces, and just to give a general idea of how scaling works. However, that process can be applied to the helmet. I measured my head (with someone to help), and then input that into Pep. I forgot how I determined which axis was which, but I probably manually measured the dimensions of the helmet on my screen, and then found the ratios between dimensions, and matched those up the ratios of the dimensions of the default size of the helmet (I hope that makes sense). And only a few inches needs to be added to your head size.

Another thing you can do is take a side view of your head on the computer, and overlay the helmet on top (in Photoshop or something similar). Once you have helmet to look like the right size, find the ratio of your head height to the helmet height, and then apply this ratio to your actual full-size head height to get the helmet height (this is of course assuming you figured out which axis is the height in Pepakura).

Hope this isn't too confusing.

ok so i did the whole take your hiegth and divide it by 86 (master chiefs hieght) then i took that times the default scale to get my new scale just like halo costuming wiki sais then i printed the ODST helm out and started and relised about 1/3 of the way in that it was definatly gonna be to small so can anyone help me? btw in 72 in tall with the 3in added on if that helps PLEASE HELP!

Using Master Chief's height and scaling an ODST costume. Notice something? :)

Read this: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31627-HaloGoddess-quot-How-To-Scale-quot-and-More-Tutorial

I need a quick tip off someone to do with the pepakura designer. Everytime I have fit it to a page and then go to print, only the numbers are showing on the paper and not the cuts. Is there any solution to this while I am sat here doing nothing? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back