Help Frist Timers Of Dragoncon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironkamakaze

Jr Member
hello everybody i'm looking for some help it's my frist time going to drangon con and i needed to know a check list if you will of things to be ready for. i plain on being there sept 4 / sept 6 and i'm working on a place to stay i just need to know the in's and out's of the hole thing from some of the Dcon vets any help you guys can give me would be cool thanks

thanks for the web site. but i was talking more about presonal experience of do's and dont's of the Dcon. you know like how long to expect to be in the ticket lines , the basic amount of money to have on a poor man's budget and just in general the things that a frist timer would make a mistake at. i just want to able experience as much as possible without the newbie mistakes that always happen

Regular ticket lines are ridiculous, the pre-registration lines are much much more manageable. Even if you have do pre-registration right before the con and don't save any money do it anyway, just to save yourself a couple of hours in a line. (line length also depends on what time you get there)

As far as money goes... that one is tough, it all depends on if you are wanting to buy stuff at the con, or are more or less wanting to experience it. Food isn't really an issue because one of the host hotels has a food court attached to it. so it really all depends on how much extra you want to spend.

One other piece of advice I can give you is to plan out all the panels etc. You want to attend, then write down where and when they all are then get there early. They fill up early and you really don't want to have to stand in a doorway, or sit in the floor like my crew did for the space ghost panel.

Other than that, just ask people at the con if you have any questions. All the people I talked to were really helpful last year, don't be shy.

To add what techbot was saying also dont forget that the i think the 2nd floor of the hilton i belive is your best friend when you are broke thats where the con suite is and there is always cold flat coke and some kinda snack. I went one year with enuff to get in and slept in the floor and on couchs where i could till i was told to leave that area...lol...i suggest that to anyone it sucked. also dont try and buy a coke, just coke at the bar in the hilton a small cup costed me 3 bucks im talkin like tiny.

thats what i'm talking about! the inside stuff that someone like me knows nothing about. "thanks guys" if any body else has anything helpful like tip's or personal experience of thing's you should or shouldn't do please post them i will be very greatful. also if we can lets pull all of your experiences together and make a list of all the helpful tips for everybody else because i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one in this predicament of being a noob to the Dcon and not having a clue of what to expect. i will take it upon myself to make the list (if there isn't anything out there already like that) of all the helpful tip and things you guys post so that we all can benefit from this . once again thanks

After we went to D*Con last year we put up a thread for just this kind of advice.

Dragoncon Lessons

Here's a good random sampling from that thread:

The people with the most germs will proportionally dole out the most random, uninvited hugs. I'll remember the hand sanitizer next time. Back con peasants! Back I say! - Vexona

Never lay hands on someone (or jab them in the ribs) if they get in the way of your pic - SKG

PAD the armor on the pressure points. Though you may not notice them normally, wearing for 4 or 5 hours will bring it out. - Adam

Bring duck tape and hot glue to repair yr armor. hey i am glad i did - Dreads

When I complain about hurting more than the people wearing the armor, that tells me I need to be in better shape to do this again. Be prepared to be on your feet for several hours at a time. - 23Magnum

Finish your costume before you leave. Nothing sucks worse than knowing that you're missing a great time because you're stuck finishing/fixing something at your hotel. - Sean Bradley

The at the door line can sometimes block the entire entrance, making it hard if not impossible to get inside to the shorter pre-reg line, but if that happens, just grab a D*Con staff member and tell them you are a pre-reg ad want to get your badge and they will clear a hole for you. - Cadet

Find a way to integrate that Camelback into your armor. I had it, I planned on doing it, it just didn't get done and I was sorry. It's not that finding water was hard, it's just that you lose a hand and when you're trying to juggle your helmet, AR, and camera, that's an extra hand you don't have... - DogWizard

bring more inventory (so i dont sell out on the 2nd day) - Link4044

Bring a handler or two. You're going to need someone to help you get in and out of your suit, hold your new toys, take pictures, get you water or anything else you need. - Kensai111

It's a good read, and totally invaluable for the first time D*Con attendee. Go check it out!

man look at all these Alabama guys in here! I'm usually like the only native in any forum I visit. I live near McCalla not too far away from the Tuscaloosa area...ROLL TIDE!

I wish I could make the con this year, but armor will nowhere near be ready. I am shooting for Halloween and will definitely make next years! You guys have fun.

The following list was posted on my local 501st Garrison board, some entries have been edited out, as they were more specific to local Garrison traditions, but the rest here are pretty good general tid-btis of info:

1. The elevators at the Hyatt suck. Do not get in the main hotel, ask for a room in one of the international towers.

----The Hyatt will be sold out for this year, remember this for next year, and book your room EARLY.

2. On any elevator you need to ride it down to go up and go up to go down.

3. Driving down is fun.

4. Always bring your own alcohol, if you are old enough to drink.

5. Get there on Thursday. You can get your badge on Thursday night and not have to stand in long lines Friday morning. (UPDATE-rumor is DC will start on Thursday in 2010 so this may need to change to Wednesday soon)

9. Check out on Tuesday if you can because check out on Monday is CRAZY! If you have to check out Monday then do it early if possible or consider carrying everything down the stairs.

10. Beware of errant fairy wings poking you in your eye.

11. Bring a cooler since the hotel doesn't have a fridge.

----(UPDATE-There is a limited number of refrigerators however they go quick be sure to request it when you get your room - but that is still not a guarantee)

12. If you plan on getting autographs then bring something to keep them safe in, something that won't bend to protect them.

13. Bring plenty of cash. The ATMs in the hotels tend to be out of cash quickly and the ones at the food court have high fees.

14. Try Subway, tucked in the back, but semi-healthy and shorter lines.

15. If you collect Hard Rock pins, get there right away on Thursday to get the HR DC pin.

16. Trash cans make good coolers.

17. Get cell #'s for other people going down so you can meet up with them. also get their hotel and room #'s after check in.

18. Put an identifying sign on your door for what group you are with, 405th, 501st, or any other group. on your hotel room door.

-----On the other hand, do not put an identifying sign on your door if your friends are prone to light night druken antics such as attempting to duct tape your door closed.

19. Take snacks and drinks. Hotel snacks are expensive.

20. If you're going to go to any panels, make sure you pick up the schedule on Thursday so you can plan accordingly. many panels will fill up quickly so be prepared to get there early anR wait, especially the Firefly/Serenity and Buffy panels. (UPDATE-in 2009 SG, BSG and Dr. horrible also had large lines)

21. Get a lanyard for your badge. the clips they give you with them suck. (UPDATE-Now the badges are super flimsy so you may want something to slide your badge into as well or bring clear tape to reinforce.)

22. Don't lose your badge.

23. Beware of the con cold. start taking vitamin c several days before you leave and keep taking it til at least after. it's not fun being sick during. (UPDATE-seriously this happens take vitamins before GenCon and keep it going through DragonCon and get some sleep the week before)

24. remember to set your alarm if your going to march in the parade. i would recommend not drinking to much the night before.

26. For those of you that like Starbucks, there is one almost across the street from the Hyatt's main entrance. You'll find me there once a day, usually in the morning.(UPDATE-one of the hotels, I think Marriott, now has Starbucks in the lobby - but there is usually a line)

27. The hotels do serve Starbuck's coffee, but they do not use the same syrups etc.

28. You will have a lot of people stopping you for pictures if you are in costume, so don't plan to wear a fancy or unusual costume and do any looking around in the exhibit hall etc. while wearing one.

29. It is recommend to look into taking the day off after you get back, if you can manage it. Most of us find that we have a major case of the con depression, if not a case of the con flu and need the time to recoup.

30. Don't be afraid to say, I'm tired and need to rest. It is no fun to be sick at the con. Dawn and I can both attest to that. I spent more time in my room the first year I went, than at the con. Make sure you get plenty of sleep. Remember most of us will be there the 4 full days, it will give you plenty of time to get to the exhibitor halls etc. Just make sure you know what panels you want to go to and plan accordingly.

31. Don't buy something from the first vendor that you see something that you want. You may be able to find it at another vendor cheaper. Unless of course you have to have it and it's the only one they have.

32. Post con depression hits hard after DragonCon.....you are surrounded by so much stimulus and so many people that are into the same things you are and it is so much fun, and then you get home back to reality.....

wow it seems that i've already made the worst mistake that you can i have not made my reservations and can't find any thing in the area. the only thing i can find is about 10 miles away. "O" well better luck next year. back to the matter at hand thanks for the input sean and cadet it seems that i'm a little behind the times on the whole make a list thing but i quess thats why i'm still a noob on the site but i think i'll still make a list just because so don't stop with the info. personal question for someone who has warn there armor to the con befor if you had to lable the most problematic thing of being at the con and wearing your armor or the most irritating with your armor what would it be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back