help on making pepakura files

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan23

I've recently had a crazy idea from making a life size grunt statue from halo reach. I have searched all over the web and this website for a pepakura file, and from my research I have turned up empty.

I have construed many types of pepakura models from this website, which I'm proud of, and I thank the makers of the files. My question is, how do you create your own files for pepakura? Someone has already suggested to use blender, but thats to confusing for me. Can some one please suggest a different 3d file maker thats easier to understand and remember?

From my experience, pretty much all 3D design programs have a steep learning curve, and like everything, you have to put them time in to master it. I've used 3D Studio Max, Maya, and ZBrush, all which are similar to Blender, but perhaps more complex?
I recently read a post done by Nintendude? on ways in which you rip 3D files from ie: Playstation games using a program that captures the files, then you import them in say 3DS Max, but the files still needed lots of work. I am still a "noob" in the pepakura world, but I'll look for the post that I am referring to and maybe it will help you understand a bit more the process in which you can get your files from so that you do not have to start 100% from scratch.

P.S Lynda.com, thegnomonworkshop.com and other similar sites offer training DVDs on various types of 3D rendering programs, you might want to look into it if you are wanting to learn how to use the programs for your projects

Sorry to say, but there is no "quick and easy" way to approach 3D modeling.

It's not simply just about triangles or squares. Though there are some self taught artists that haven't dealt much with any modeling beyond that, then wonder why their files don't work.

Blender IS the most basic 3d program available while also being very versatile in what you can accomplish with it. And when you start jumping to different 3d packages you quickly learn that the vast majority of the tools and elements are the same, they're just named differently.

You could us google sketch up because it is VERY simple. But that simplicity is only going to hurt your progress in the long run by giving you incomplete, non-watertight meshes with all sorts of issues.

You are going to have to put in the hours doing tutorials to learn this stuff if it's something you really want to do, sorry. If this was an easy skill to master then I wouldn't have been made such a great offer to take the job I currently have.

If you have any specific questions you encounter please feel free to contact me and I can break this stuff down for you so it's easier to understand. I have no problem helping people out that want to know this stuff :)

Good luck!

There is however, a pep file on the wiki for grunt armor. That might work for your project. You would just have to make the head, arms and legs.

Learning curves on any modeling program are going to be steep. I have worked in about ten different programs through my career from Ideas to Unigraphix to Catia and every single one I have had to relearn some or all parts of how the program functions. I recently tried out Autedesk Maya and was 100% in the dark I had no clue how to use the program. So all i have been doing is finding tutorials and so on and books to try and learn it. but to be honest I am not getting very far on it. For me its a tuogh program but for others who have worked in it for a long time its easy.

What I am getting at is that there is nothign out there that you will be able to just pick up and model something imediately. It will take a while to be able to even model basic forms and it will take more tiem to be able to do complex objects.

I am not trying to discourage you just saying that its going to take a boat load of work so you should plan on a lot of time spent learning

Learning curves on any modeling program are going to be steep. I have worked in about ten different programs through my career from Ideas to Unigraphix to Catia and every single one I have had to relearn some or all parts of how the program functions. I recently tried out Autedesk Maya and was 100% in the dark I had no clue how to use the program. So all i have been doing is finding tutorials and so on and books to try and learn it. but to be honest I am not getting very far on it. For me its a tuogh program but for others who have worked in it for a long time its easy.

What I am getting at is that there is nothign out there that you will be able to just pick up and model something imediately. It will take a while to be able to even model basic forms and it will take more tiem to be able to do complex objects.

I am not trying to discourage you just saying that its going to take a boat load of work so you should plan on a lot of time spent learning

Man, I use Maya to convert data exported out of Catia. And I personally find Catia rough! lol

But you're absolutely right. I had to spend 2 years in school, and hundreds of hours on my free time just to learn Maya. And even still I can't say I know every feature on that program.. But in the industry you really just need to know more than the people you work with :p

3d modeling concepts concerning the mesh type and all of the elements it's made from I am very fluent in however. If there's a problem with your model 9/10 I can tell you what the problem is.

Man, I use Maya to convert data exported out of Catia. And I personally find Catia rough! lol

But you're absolutely right. I had to spend 2 years in school, and hundreds of hours on my free time just to learn Maya. And even still I can't say I know every feature on that program.. But in the industry you really just need to know more than the people you work with :p

Lol yea of all the prgrams I have learned Catia so far has been the most difficult. (though if i contiue trying to Learn Maya I think thats going to be the toughest) I am the only one at my company who knows it too so there is no one "more knowledgeable" than me to help me out when I run into issues.
It might be the toughest but it is a truely phenominal surfacing program once ya get to know how to do it.

relating this back to the OP, again if you want to learn then go for it. Just stick with it. And to be honest it is an AMAZING skill set to have and can open up other new opportunities in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back