help!!!!! ways to attach visor to be removable

Status
Not open for further replies.

noble 1

hello not sure if this is the right place to post this so could someone move it if so

i am not quite to the visor stage of my helm but i wear glasses and can't wear contacts, so i am looking for a way to attach the visor so that it is removable without having to take of the helmet because i have to take off the glasses to put on the helm and then put them back on after it is on, so any ideas would be appreciated. i was thinking about velcro or magnets.

thanks.

Which helm are you making? Have you thought about making it flip up into the helm. Kind of like a motorcycle helmet. Then all you have to do is flip it up and put on your glasses, plus if the visor fogs up you can flip it up to see.

Hmmmm I have the same problem, I wear glasses but I can wear contacts. I thought of making the visor 2 peaces and hinging it like a jaw. One peace goes up into the helm and the other goes down into the jaw. A small gear on the sides will make them move as a unit so when the top open or closes the bottom does the same. A little servo in the back of the helm and a cable and you could even make it automatic like Iron Mans helmet.

that could work, only problem is that i have no idea how to rig the electronics for that or even set it up to be manual

Well the manual one would be easy, have a gear on the two peaces of visor that mesh together. When you push one with your finger the other one moves. That's the absolute easy way. You could use a leaver to open it located some where else to keep finger prints off the visor. The electronics would be a servo some cable, a battery and a 2 way switch. So when you push the switch one way and it opens and push the switch the other way and it closes the visor. No circuit boards or anything fancy.

thanks i might try that and later make it electronically controlled. if you come up with any more ideas let me know or if you try this let me know how it turns out

I've got a way!! i think...

A trench/groove running along the bottom edge of the visor area along the helmet where the visor can slip into that and then at the top have two clips that will pull themselves back and lock into place with a spring simply by pushing it in, Then have to little sort of handles that will aallow you to pull back the clips and then the Visor could just pull back out :D

If you didnt get that i could draw you a picture... :/

Hope this helps :)

It depends on the helmet you want to do, but you could use earth magnets to attach/detach a piece of the helmet itself, like the chin/jaw. Alot of the clone troopers you may see out and about actually use that method to take the whole face plate off. If you cut right (it has to be along the valley of an edge and the cuts have to be precise!), no one will know it detaches when you have it all together. You just need enough room to get your glasses on, so if it's just the chin area that is preventing that, it could be easier than trying to fiddle with the visor.

let me know how it works too plz. i don't wear glasses but to drink with out the hassle of removing helmet would be nice and to wipe fog away to.

use the jaw part. cut the helm right under the jaw. add more mats to the inside of it so u can attack it back on with say 2 screws. or velcro. or something like that. and attach the visor to the jaw part. and attach the top with velcro so the visor attach's to the top piece. the jaw will just have a lil line in it.(were the cut is.) but u can blend it n whatnot...i can try with my paint skills to show what i mean.

Just velcro with thin velcro around the edges inside the helmet leave a bit of overlap to attach the velcro on the visor to the velcro inside the helmet.

answer to your prayers

my friend wears glasses, and he can put this helmet on no problemo. here is one of my videos that shows the removable mk6 visor. motorcycle lense, dual layer, towards the middle of the video.;)

i suggest this method,

Last edited by a moderator:
Just velcro with thin velcro around the edges inside the helmet leave a bit of overlap to attach the velcro on the visor to the velcro inside the helmet.

That's what I was gonna say. Id just give yourself like a 1/2-1" buffer when you cut your visor and slap some velcro on there with some epoxy glue or something very strong so it doesn't just peel off

I also wear glasses, and have no problems with helmets, Sometimes, it knocks my glasses off getting it on, but from there, it stays in place for me.

thanks for all the input guys, but i have some awesome news, i went to the eye doc today and they are getting some new contacts in for me to try (i don't wear them now cause i cant find any that feel right) so if these work out it will save alot of time, but i will still probably make the visor removable so you can get air or wipe off the fog. so if anyone has anymore ideas keep them coming. again thanks for the input

I have a removable visor on my MK VI helmet...I used the Chicago screw method! This idea was brought up back in 2008!

I had another idea about the visor. Now keep in mind this is an idea I've never tried this YET. You would need two things, a peace of sheet metal about 1/8" wide and say about a foot long. You cut it and shape it to form a lip all the way around the opening of the visor. Now you get a magnet say from the door of an old fridge. Glue it to the visor on the inside and now you can take the visor on and off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back