help! weapon warping and strengthing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

otaku for life

Alright guys, i started making my recon helmet last week and a covy carbine...(way to big, same with the helmet)...sad thing is the weapon warped after i applied resin, i am gonna toss it.
note this is my very first helmet and weapon! gonna toss the carbine, maybe finish the helmet and give it to my cousin or something..thanks all for looking

update! recon helmet
Snapshot_20120707_2.jpg
Snapshot_20120707_3.jpg
carbine
Snapshot_20120707_13.jpg
Diss-Fooh

better picture for size reference
Snapshot_20120707_12.jpg

will add a few more later
ps: sorry for crappy image quality :(

my two ideas on how to strengthen the inside.
I am making a Plasma Repeater this time.
1: My idea is to build one side of the gun and the other side separately, resin the outside of the gun (leaving the edges and tabs untouched) then fiberglass the inside, then somehow glue the two parts back together
2: Second solution is to build the entire gun, resin it..(leaving a small hole or piece open) Take 1:1 ratio of bondo and resin, mix it and pour it into the the gun.

how would i go about keeping it from warping?
What is your solution? please help, i am giving myself a major headache T_T

You don't want to build the halves seperately. There is a high risk they will warp slightly in different ways, so there's no guarantee they'll fit together when it comes time. It's better to do a thin layer of rondo on the inside, then cut it in half and fiberglass from there. This makes sure they won't move or anything, since even in resin stage they are prone to tortion and sag, as you saw with your carbine. To keep it from warping, you need to make sure you are using the strongest cardstock you can get. Then you should probably work in smaller areas since the resin wets the cardstock before hardening it, and when it is wet is when it will sag the most. If you can, you can try setting up something to hold it while it dries, or alternatively as you build the gun you can glue in support structures inside with popsicle/skewer sticks or cardboard. I do that with my helmets, and then cut them off once the rondo hardens.

You don't want to build the halves seperately. There is a high risk they will warp slightly in different ways, so there's no guarantee they'll fit together when it comes time. It's better to do a thin layer of rondo on the inside, then cut it in half and fiberglass from there. This makes sure they won't move or anything, since even in resin stage they are prone to tortion and sag, as you saw with your carbine. To keep it from warping, you need to make sure you are using the strongest cardstock you can get. Then you should probably work in smaller areas since the resin wets the cardstock before hardening it, and when it is wet is when it will sag the most. If you can, you can try setting up something to hold it while it dries, or alternatively as you build the gun you can glue in support structures inside with popsicle/skewer sticks or cardboard. I do that with my helmets, and then cut them off once the rondo hardens.
Thank you for your input :) will avoid the first method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back