Hey Motorcycle Buffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nynjamasta

Jr Member
A few months ago I bought a 175cc 2 stroke 1972 Kawasaki F7 for about 50$. It Had been sitting out for about 7 years, but me and my freind were convident that we could unseize the engine, free up the clutch, and basicly get it running again.

Well, me and my buddy had to surpass several challenges with this bike, some of them were:

1. The piston was to big for the cylinder, so we had to throw it in the oven for and hour on the hopes that it would cause it to expand, and shockingly, it did.

2. The gas tank was full of rust, but we fixed that by hosing it off about 20 times.

3. Missing clutch bolt. Got it.

Now, we have it to were it SHOULD run. only, it doesnt. We have gotten it to run, but doing that involves an hour of kicking ind a broken ankle, and even then it will die after running for ten minutes.

In fact, I came up with the possibly brilliant idea of having my freind pull me with another bike while it was in gear. One promblem, we forgot the fact that the bike hadnt even been ridden in, like I said, 7 years, and therefor, the chain wasnit lubbed AT ALL!!! so guess what, broken chain.

So now Im getting desperate, and I desided to put it up to the 405th crew.

(Mods, If this is in the noob forum, I AM REALLY SORRY)

Umm, im not that good at mechanics of vehicles but it sounds almost like the gas line might be clogged. Therefore not enough gas would be getting through to run it.

how did you not know it was the noob forum? you had to post the thread somewhere did you not?

i'm not much of a motorcyle or any type of automotive person, i'd suggest going to an actual auto forum or something. i'm sure some know a thing or two about automotives here, it's what gets us around, but i don't really see this crowd as being a mainstream source of automotive information ^^

sounds like one heck of a project though. i wish you the best of luck!

buy a can of sea foam
Sea%20Foam%20Can.JPG
and dump it in the gas tank. get the cycle to run a little and make sure the sea foam goes thruough the gas line into the engine.

nynjamasta said:
A few months ago I bought a 175cc 2 stroke 1972 Kawasaki F7 for about 50$. It Had been sitting out for about 7 years, but me and my freind were convident that we could unseize the engine, free up the clutch, and basicly get it running again.

Well, me and my buddy had to surpass several challenges with this bike, some of them were:

1. The piston was to big for the cylinder, so we had to throw it in the oven for and hour on the hopes that it would cause it to expand, and shockingly, it did.

2. The gas tank was full of rust, but we fixed that by hosing it off about 20 times.

3. Missing clutch bolt. Got it.

Now, we have it to were it SHOULD run. only, it doesnt. We have gotten it to run, but doing that involves an hour of kicking ind a broken ankle, and even then it will die after running for ten minutes.

In fact, I came up with the possibly brilliant idea of having my freind pull me with another bike while it was in gear. One promblem, we forgot the fact that the bike hadnt even been ridden in, like I said, 7 years, and therefor, the chain wasnit lubbed AT ALL!!! so guess what, broken chain.

So now Im getting desperate, and I desided to put it up to the 405th crew.

(Mods, If this is in the noob forum, I AM REALLY SORRY)

It could be a number of things, a engine needs three things, fuel, fire and air. With out these basic component it will not run. Since it ran for 10 minutes i am going to say the timing is not off and should be good, take the spark plug wire out, stick a screw drive in it and then ground the metal out to the engine (use rubber to ground your self or be prepared to be shocked) and have you friend kick it over. If it keeps having good flash of spark. (You will have some piston slap (loose piston) on a 2 stroke until the engine heats up to operation temperature, this is normal, then it shrinks back down after it cools off) Since you said the gastank was full of rust the Carb may be full of tiny rust particles, and this is what i am leaning toward as your problem, drop the round (bowl) off the carb and see what trash it has in it, try some WD 40 and see if you can blow through your fuel jet) To get the rest of the rust out of the tank put a little bit of fluid in it, drop a few rocks into it, then put the top on and shake the crap out of it, this will get the rest of the trash out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back