How did the chiefs armour get upgraded..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok here's the breakdown on the armor. This armor is actually just a remake of the original H3 armor. It's still th same armor just 343 decided to re-model it. When cortana say "I've upgraded your firmware" she means that shes taken the internal software that runs the armor and upgraded it and made improvements. She has done nohting to the armor. It's just remodeled.

Then why is there a Mark VI variant of the GEN2 armor that looks nothing like the "Mark VI" that the Chief is wearing?

Can we all just agree that there isn't a simple "canon" answer to the fact that 343i just wanted to change the armor?

Ok here's the breakdown on the armor. This armor is actually just a remake of the original H3 armor. It's still th same armor just 343 decided to re-model it. When cortana say "I've upgraded your firmware" she means that shes taken the internal software that runs the armor and upgraded it and made improvements. She has done nohting to the armor. It's just remodeled.

sorry to burst your bubble but we allready knew what "firmware" is,
this thread is to do with how his armor was changed ON THE DAWN! not remodeled by the 3d artists

to tell you the truth, Most of the problem is even if we did come up with a reason that his armor changed (i have to agree on the nanobot idea (it IS 535 years in the future)) they also changed the design of the forward unto dawn and why they used cheifs mk VII (I'm calling the spartan IVs armor VII ) because they wanted to draw in new fans to the series. what they fail to realise is almost everyone who played halo 4 or are getting halo 4 are people who played the previous games, so changing things to fit new people is pretty moot. they should have used mkIV armor in the cutscene and used the older frigate's rear end for the first level, but they had the delusian new players would come in by the masses, and when they did, they were gonna care. 343 should just higher one of us *cough*me*cough* to keep this stuff in line. kinda like a fact checker to keep things strait.

whatever the reason I think the best explanation is, it changed so get used to it coz thats how its going to be from now on. Personally I won't get used to it. I think it all looks too manga inspired, something I really have no interest in and that for me has ruined it.

And someone mentioned the sound of the warthog:
The biggest change they made that I noticed immediately and was unhappy about was the sound of the Warthog starting up and low gear driving. It no longer growls like a cornered Puma. Now it sounds like a little piglet running off.

Personally although the warthog does sound like a 1litre nissan micra having the nuts revved off it at least it doesn't sound like a flymo lawn mower anymore :p

Good game, just a shame they felt like remaking the armour :/

We know she upgraded her armor (it looks different right). The answer is simple. It's a game and it is a world of "make-believe". Either that or Cortana has "Iron Man" mechanism to undress Master Chief.

None of the world we see in Halo, Star Wars, Star Trek or any of the science fiction movies make any logical sense in today's technology. Trying to understand any of it with our limited capability is just pure speculation.

To this day I have yet to understand how the Death Star was built. Think about it, it will require a tremendous amount of steel/alloy to build a small moon. Even if you can dig pure ore from a planet, you have to probably destroy 10 planets to come up with sufficient amount steel. Illogical.

Asteroid belts, asteroid belts everywhere!

The canon reason is Cortana used nanobots on the FUD to upgrade his suit. The real reason is the new art direction that 343i took.

Because 343 sucks.

If that's the canon reason, then why are the spartans wearing the armor in the flashback during the prologue? I believe that 343 is trying to pull wool over our eyes and make us believe that this is the armor that he's always worn, all the way back before Halo: CE. They kind of wrote themselves into a corner with this, and ticked a lot of people off.

Because 343 sucks.

Maybe because 343i is too lazy to make a Hi-res original MKVI suit. That is what Halopedia says.

Because 343 sucks.

So if I remember right 117 is a generation 2 SPARTAN. And the current gen is 4. So the prologue is Halsey talking about her SPARTANs, which would include gens 1-4. So the prologue flashbacks could possibly be gen 3 and 4 SPARTANs. Just a thought process. Either way, cool new graphics the 343 Mjolnir looks good. Only complaint is I really didn't see many ODSTs during game play.

Because ODST's are so badass that they do their job right and are never seen.

If they ever did Halo 2 Anniversary, it would be most cost effective to 343 to just re-use the classic mk 6 armor from H4, just because they'd likely end up reusing a lot of H4 stuff anyway and they'd have to at least fake some degree of consistency.

They will do a Halo 2 Anniversary, and if it's not done like CEA, then it's going to suck a fatty.

Overall I think 343 has done a tremendous job, and while many things are different, they still FEEL like Halo. Some of the sounds need to be changed to better reflect the amazing new graphics, and the Elites new look is WAY more terrifying than Halo 3!

The biggest change they made that I noticed immediately and was unhappy about was the sound of the Warthog starting up and low gear driving. It no longer growls like a cornered Puma. Now it sounds like a little piglet running off.

The SPTN-4's have some crazy helmets, and there are several that I would never consider wearing, but I have always been old fashioned with Halo games and usually don either the Mrk V or VI or the CQB. I think the new direction will help Halo keep pace with CoD with the younger market, and let's all remember, they do this for the $$$

I don't think H4 still feels like Halo. Straight up. Its just not.

343 sucks and ruined my baby. They played with the noise that the Warthog makes and ruined her forever, and I will never forgive them, unless they publish a formal apology and go back and improve the noise so it sounds like a manly beast that is should be and not a whiny child. Because that's whats happened to Halo. It went from an upstanding man who can handle himself to a whiny child that you hear on Xbox live.

Halo doesn't need to keep pace with anything but itself, because CoD can eat its own poo, but you're right, the greed of Micro$oft is the driving force behind everything that's happened. Its sad.

I don't think H4 still feels like Halo. Straight up. Its just not.

343 sucks and ruined my baby.

You probably think George Lucas ruined Star Wars too!

Why can't people just enjoy variations on themes? If they had made Reach 2.0 with MC, someone would have complained about that! Look at Transformers, there have been no less than 10 variations of the Transformers using the same name, and each variation has its good points and bad points, but they are ALL Transformers.

I feel your pain about the Warthog sound being all wrong (I drive a 2007 Metallic Green Jeep that actually has M12-LRV Warthog on the hood), but it hasn't stopped me from playing Halo 4 every moment possible! I just finished co-op legendary this morning with my bro-in-law. It's Halo, love it, and hope they never stop making more

You probably think George Lucas ruined Star Wars too!

Why can't people just enjoy variations on themes? If they had made Reach 2.0 with MC, someone would have complained about that! Look at Transformers, there have been no less than 10 variations of the Transformers using the same name, and each variation has its good points and bad points, but they are ALL Transformers.

I feel your pain about the Warthog sound being all wrong (I drive a 2007 Metallic Green Jeep that actually has M12-LRV Warthog on the hood), but it hasn't stopped me from playing Halo 4 every moment possible! I just finished co-op legendary this morning with my bro-in-law. It's Halo, love it, and hope they never stop making more

Transformers has had different series, only few of whcih were sequals to previous ones. Those that weren't had different styles and names. If this was a whole new series, in a different segment in time or place, disconnected by plenty of things, then it would be fine. The problem is, it isn't. This is a sequel trilogy, continueing the story from halo 3 and the books. George Lucas had many constraints when making the prequel trilogy because he had to make it match up with the original trilogy. He did a pretty good job with consistency (minus the whole han shot first bs) yet still was able to create an entire trilogy that has a life of its own. 343 didn't do that. They TRIED to be different, and it is painfully obvious in the game. Yes, it is halo, we all love it and play it, but it still doesnt make for the blatant disregard of consistency, and generates plot holes. Halo reach, for me atleast, generated this big plot black hole in my head, and it took a month to try and sort things out to make the game and predetermined canon story fit together (even though it kinda looks like the improvised co2 scrubber from Apollo 13)

In the end, if you are more of a hardcore fan (like me) then these things probably bothered you when playing the game. If you are more of a passive, casual fan of the game (played all the games and maybe read a book or two) then you probably were able to shrug it off more. Does this mean I hate halo 4 and 343 industries? No, they have one more chance to prove themselves worthy of the halo title. Does that mean I wasn't disappointed with them, no, I think they let me down with halo 4 and really should have tried harder and put more work in keeping all the games connected, if not by story, then by consistency.

I'm really kinda annoyed that people are still talking on this thread. We can all agree that 343 made Halo 4 extremely unlike all of the others before it. It's your opinion to decide whether or not they did a terrible job.

Personally, I've been far less into the games themselves and more into costuming and prop-making, so I'm not too pissed off at 343.

I think that most of us can agree that campaign was short and not as epic as we may have expected, and I'm sure we can agree that the multiplayer is way better than Reach's. I'll say that Reach was a better game all-around, but maybe that's just my bias of it being my first Halo game I ever owned.

I love Halo 4, I love most of the things 343 did with it. Some decisions were the worst thing ever, some were really great. You can't expect a prefect game from a new company that's just getting their head in the game. I think it definitely would have been a great decision for Micro$oft to sign Bungie up for the next trilogy, or just leave it where it lay. The reclaimer saga is entirely unnecessary, but I'll still go to the midnight launches and play the hell out of them until my fingers get sore.

Halo will be forever awesome, and whatever 343 does can't ruin that.

Blue Fox:
my reply was to Fuzzy Bears post

I would call myself a "hardcore" fan, owning ALL halo games, books, soundtracks a boat-load of action figures, driving a car nicknamed the Warthog and having built 2.25 costumes. I guess the difference is that I don't let the minutia and picky details get to me the way others do. Video games are an art-form, and like all art, are subject to opinion and interpretation. I love to see passionate fans, I guess I just wish they would show their passion for the things they liked more than what they dislike.

Blue Fox:

I would call myself a "hardcore" fan, owning ALL halo games, books, soundtracks a boat-load of action figures, driving a car nicknamed the Warthog and having built 2.25 costumes. I guess the difference is that I don't let the minutia and picky details get to me the way others do. Video games are an art-form, and like all art, are subject to opinion and interpretation. I love to see passionate fans, I guess I just wish they would show their passion for the things they liked more than what they dislike.

i just believe that 343 did a great job at reviving/continuing the halo franchise. i just want arby and a halo 2 annaversary

Blue Fox:

I know it was. If you go into a thread about this kinda subject you should expect the more negative reaction from a lot of people. We aren't gonna jump up out of our chairs and be like "OH YES 343 USED THEIR OWN ARTFORM ITS GREAT" sure, its "great" and all, but the fact is they got sloppy. i dont care if you found a way to revive Albert Einstein. if you ant prove its him, a lot of people are going to have a problem with that. There are 2 types of fans in this category. Ones who don't really mind nor care how it happened or why, then the ones who do. I do care because i always hated seeing the kid playing next to me in kindergarten try to shove a square peg into a round hole. Some of us just don't like it. I grew up; with this game, and spent countless hours replaying the campaign. After reading first strike, i would sometimes lower my amo on my ma5b and m6 to the same amount chief had, just to be accurate. Hell, I just finished halo 4 on legendary an hour before posting this and i gave up a shotgun for an assault rifle just cause it was right before a cutscene. Some people are just bothered when they go and throw tons of continuity errors in the mix. Just give them some time to simmer and everyone will stop yelling about how 343 sucks and halo 4 sucks. All said, I was disapointed with the game due to these facts. they matter enough to me to have let me down after finishing. i still love halo, and still beat it on legendary and am still making the mkVII or MkVI armor or whatever we are gonna officially name it.

<//While trying to examine the parts of her indicating rampancy, the Dawn's short range sensors alert Cortana to a faint shipwide probe. As she runs diagnostics to determine whether or not the ship's systems have finally started to fail, she is alerted to a faint electronic probe from an unkown source. Suddenly, what appears to be a set of instructions bearing a Forerunner signature, comes to the forefront of a large data packet that appears to have been transferred to the Dawn's data core, apparently under Cortana's nose.
Before she can firewall and examine the intent of the Forerunner program, the monitoring systems for Chief's tube surge with alien energy. The nanites built into the Mjolnir MK VI respond to the new instructions with an efficiency known only to Covenant Engineers.
Cortana, having been locked out of all systems, watches helplessly as the Master Chief's armor changes in both shape and appearence within the confines of the cryotube. The only thing that keeps her from going fully rampant is the fact that John's vitals indicate him to be in a perfect state of hibernation. He is not disturbed as his suit undergoes what will prove to be an upgrade of unprecedented magnitude. Then, with a dazzling display of light, almost as quickly as it began, it's over.
Cortana sighs and notices that the damage John received after his EVA from the Covenant Dreadnaught 5 years ago remains. Not even Forerunner tech can replace lost mass, it would seem. However this is the only thing that has not been changed by this strange and powerful program.
Cortana sighs with relief as the ship's systems return to 'normal' and makes herself busy.
"Looks like I'll be upgrading some firmware."//>

Still a better story than the retcon prologue.

<//While trying to examine the parts of her indicating rampancy, the Dawn's short range sensors alert Cortana to a faint shipwide probe. As she runs diagnostics to determine whether or not the ship's systems have finally started to fail, she is alerted to a faint electronic probe from an unkown source. Suddenly, what appears to be a set of instructions bearing a Forerunner signature, comes to the forefront of a large data packet that appears to have been transferred to the Dawn's data core, apparently under Cortana's nose.
Before she can firewall and examine the intent of the Forerunner program, the monitoring systems for Chief's tube surge with alien energy. The nanites built into the Mjolnir MK VI respond to the new instructions with an efficiency known only to Covenant Engineers.
Cortana, having been locked out of all systems, watches helplessly as the Master Chief's armor changes in both shape and appearence within the confines of the cryotube. The only thing that keeps her from going fully rampant is the fact that John's vitals indicate him to be in a perfect state of hibernation. He is not disturbed as his suit undergoes what will prove to be an upgrade of unprecedented magnitude. Then, with a dazzling display of light, almost as quickly as it began, it's over.
Cortana sighs and notices that the damage John received after his EVA from the Covenant Dreadnaught 5 years ago remains. Not even Forerunner tech can replace lost mass, it would seem. However this is the only thing that has not been changed by this strange and powerful program.
Cortana sighs with relief as the ship's systems return to 'normal' and makes herself busy.
"Looks like I'll be upgrading some firmware."//>

Still a better story than the retcon prologue.

Someone send this to 343. It's the best story that someones come up with so far. If we could make this canon, I could play halo 4 with a SETTLED HEART KNOWING SOMEBODY ACTUALLY CARES!

Hopefully they'll fill in the gaps with some literature or another group of Halo Legends like shorts. All I know is I'm bracing for the tremor in the earth that will be caused by the millions of fans sighing in relieve all at once.

Hopefully they'll fill in the gaps with some literature or another group of Halo Legends like shorts. All I know is I'm bracing for the tremor in the earth that will be caused by the millions of fans sighing in relieve all at once.

Amen, brother

Thanks for the compliment Blue Fox!!
But lets face it guys. There is no explaination forthcoming. The minute I saw the prologue it confirmed for me that this is how 343 will make the Reclaimer series their own. Can't compare apples to oranges ya know, not without being completely biased. However with something as precious as the Halo Universe, there are a LOT of biased people.

However, as a franchise I think they're doing an excellent job of keeping the spirit of Halo alive. I couldn't believe it when they managed to create a product that was new yet familiar. It affected me on a subconcious level. It reminded me of the second Batman movie, with the Joker. Even though heath ledger stole the show, the real heart of the movie was the story. Although The Batman ultimately prevailed, he did NOT win. This is the only way I can relate Chief's story. In the prologue you seem him all sad and lonely. The augmented super-human weirdo, suffering in silence, until halsey provides the "tool" to help him cope. Cortana's prescence saved John. It's funny but I remember doing an entire socialogical work-up on MC when REACH came out. It's even funnier that a lot of the observations I put forth in that Psch Eval are explored by the Agent interrogating the war criminal.

Aside from all the visual anamolies and canon distractions, I really connected with this Halo. I really invested myself in John. And I believed in Cortana.

I just wish Lasky had given Chief a hug or something. That woulda made me feel a lot better about the way things ended.

Cortana.jpg

If that's the canon reason, then why are the spartans wearing the armor in the flashback during the prologue? I believe that 343 is trying to pull wool over our eyes and make us believe that this is the armor that he's always worn, all the way back before Halo: CE. They kind of wrote themselves into a corner with this, and ticked a lot of people off.

Not before CE. That was Mk. V armor, and neither Bungie nor 343i have ever said otherwise on that point. Between CE and Halo 2 Chief upgraded to the Mk. VI armor, presumably being issued the new suit after returning to Earth and prior to the celebration that was set to take place at the beginning of Halo 2 and then interrupted by the arrival of the Covenant.

However, you are partially right, 343i has indeed claimed that what Chief is wearing in Halo 4 is still the same armor he wore in Halo 3 (Mk. VI), it has simply been reimagined and interpreted by the new visual art staff. This is the first game done by a new team on an old franchise. Things are going to look different. Things are going to sound different. Quite honestly a great many of us would be rather miffed if after 4 other games (3, ODST, Wars, and Reach) on this console they couldn't offer something graphically better than what Bungie had at the beginning of Halo's Xbox 360 reign (over 5 years ago). Technology has changed immensely in those 5 years, and developers' ability to make use of what's available has likewise grown. If Halo 4 Chief still had the same cartonishly plastic-looking armor that he had back then, this thread would be ranting about how utterly lazy these people are for not finding ways to improve the graphics and appearance of this game. 343i went back and rebuilt everything from the ground up. Sounds, visuals, enemies (I've noticed not many people, if any, are ranting about the newly snub-nosed Jackals), everything has been scrapped and made new because 343i did not want to simply piggy-back off Bungie's work. They wanted to make this game as completely their own as possible. Obviously there were lements they could not get rid of. I don't think anyone would be happy if there were no Covenant, Forerunners, Assault Rifles, DMRs, Scorpion Tanks, or any of the other elements we've come to be familiar with. So rather than scrap those, they simply redesigned them. Chief's armor is bulkier, beefier. He looks like a walking tank now. But that change is also reflected in the vehicles and weapons, as they now also look, feel, and sound so much bigger and more powerful than before (although admittedly, the Warthog engine does sound a bit more wimpy this time around).

Some people are just tall, and the Chief TOWERS over the Spartan 4's, so I figured they were less than Spartan 3's in medical aug.

The IVs were all augmented, but you have to figure at this point they've had maybe 4 years for their bodies to adjust to the augmentation (if they were augmented very close to the end of Halo 3), and they were all augmented as adults. The Chief has what, 30, 40 years? I forget how old he's supposed to be. And he was augmented as a child, and a child's body (as Halsey hints at during the Ops cenematics) is far more receptive and suseptible to the augmentations. Think of it this way, if you excercise rigorously every day for the next four years, you're going to be larger and more well-muscled than the average person, or even someone who excercises three times a week. But if you were to stand beside someone who's stuck to that same regimen for decades and started when they were very young, you would suddenly look rather small in comparison. Because the IVs were augmented as adults, it is doubtful they would ever achieve the same level as John, simply because their bodies do not have the ability to adjust the way his did.

As for Cortana's firmware comment that several of you have mentioned (and some have explained), firmware is essentially the permanent programming in a computer system. Basically firmware is what makes a group of linked electronic components (hardware) actually become a computer. It is the brain, so to speak, of the system. I assume we are all familiar with software (iTunes, Photoshop, Pepakura Designer, etc.), which would be the simplest level, and operating systems (Windows, Apple, Android, etc.) which would be the next and more complex tier. Firmware is above that. Without firmware, software and operating systems are useless. Firmware is what allows the Chief to use or even have a HUD. It would also govern his shield systems as well as his ability to make use of enhancement modules (armor abilities). As some of you may recall when the Chief kills a cloaked Elite Cortana tells him to examine the Active Camo module he dropped, and them makes a comment about writing a patch to his suit's systems (OS or Software, take your pick) to allow him to actually use the module (much as you have to use an installation disc to install the proper drivers and programs before you can use a webcam, printer, or other peripheral on your ocmputer).

The long and short of all that is no, Cortana saying she upgraded Chief's firmware has absolutely nothing to do with how his armor looks.

First off, not meaning to be a jerk about it, but it's not "your" baby. It's Bungie's. They're the ones that brought it into the world. You're just the crazy/creepy uncle who's been playing with it incessantly for the last decade. And Bungie handed over all rights and whatnot of their baby to 343i. It is now 343i's baby. Still not yours. What they do with it is what they do with it. Disney now owns the rights to make Star Wars movies. If they want to make Jar Jar Binks the central focus of the new trilogy, that's their choice, and you still have no say in the matter. It's not yours. They just let you play with it if you choose to.

Also, can someone teach this guy a new word besides "sucks?" I get it, you don't like the direction in which this first game 343i has ever done went. That goes with the territory of first games, especially when it's a new team working with something that has been established already. Someone made a Transformers analogy. I grew up with the original Gen 1 Transformers back in the 80s. Seeing Bumblebee as a Camaro I must admit ticked me off to no end. But that's the direction they wanted to take it in. The movie had absolutely nothing in common with the original Transformers except character names, but for what it was, it was still a good movie. I can sit around and whine all day about how Ironhide is supposed to be a red minivan or how Optimus Prime NEVER had a flamed-out paint job, or I can choose to simply accept that this is a new generation with a new team at the helm and things WILL be different. LEt's face it, if things don't change, they become stale, stagnant, dull, boring. These are not words a developer wants to ever have their work described as. Stale, stagnant, dull, and boring won't sell. It won't make a return on their investments of time and money. It won't please the fans. It won't give anyone a reason to come back.

Finally I say to ALL thepeople complaining about what Chief's armor looks like in Halo 4: you'd best buckle up, or punch out, because Chief's de-armoring in that final cutscene has the bearing of a decommisioning as upposed to simply changing into "casual" attire. So most likely Halo 5 WILL have what will be in essence "Mk. VII" armor, as it seems extremely likely that Chief will be getting new duds, considering what he's wearing is quite obsolete after spending 4 years adrift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back