How do cons work? I've never been to one in costume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading other people's replies makes me appreciate my local con more (Grand Rapids, MI). Since it's become a bigger event, they now set up a side room where only cosplayers can go into and has a "No Photography or Solicitation" sign.
It has a couple changing booths and a full repair station including a sewing machine, hot glue gun, and soldering iron for free use, they also have some thread, buttons, zippers, and other repair supplies available for use. It's also a place cosplayers can relax and bring food
food to eat in peace. You still have to keep an eye on your stuff and shouldn't leave anything unattended though.

Also as someone else commented, registering would be for a recruiting booth or if you had a group and wanted to advertise yourself and have someone manning the booth all day.

Last edited:
Reading other people's replies makes me appreciate my local con more.Since it's become a bigger event, they now set up a side room where only cosplayers can go into and has a "No Photography or Solicitation" sign.
It has a couple changing booths and a full repair station including a sewing machine, hot glue gun, and soldering iron for free use, they also have some thread, buttons, zippers, and other repair supplies available for use. It's also a place cosplayers can relax and bring food
food to eat in piece. You still have to keep an eye on your stuff and shouldn't leave anything unattended though.

Also as someone else commented, registering would be for a recruiting booth or if you had a group and wanted to advertise yourself and have someone manning the booth all day.
:eek::eek::eek: Wow.... A change/rest area for cosplayers is a great idea.
Fan Expo Toronto just recently started a repair station.

TurboCharizard was like you said
I am feeling the after effects and pain.
Also my hand looks burned due to paint

During con/commission crunch I just have colourful nails and rainbow spray patterns all over my hands. I started wearing nitrile gloves when airbrushing but that just means that I have a colour on my wrist and forearm only :p

:eek::eek::eek: Wow.... A change/rest area for cosplayers is a great idea.
Fan Expo Toronto just recently started a repair station.
I've noticed that Supernova in AU has started having repair stations as well which was a godsend for me when my arm piece came apart when I was there. I do think there should be an official place at all cons for cosplayers to rest though.

I've noticed that Supernova in AU has started having repair stations as well which was a godsend for me when my arm piece came apart when I was there. I do think there should be an official place at all cons for cosplayers to rest though.
completely agree. especially since my legs (and leg armor) died at the last con I attended.

The usual way that a convention goes from my experience.

• Wake up early to play Tetris with 2-3 and their costumes to fit into a hatchback.
  • Wait around until the females in the group have their makeup and wigs on. Enjoy coffee.
  • Fly it like you stole it to make up lost time on the highway.
  • Change in a parking lot because cosplayers have no shame.
  • Walk to the convention and freak out the normies. (In Seattle apparently someone was paying attention to me and had to slam on their brakes to not rear end someone)
  • Go to the convention and move slowly through the crowd of people that want photos with you.
  • Attempt to enjoy panels, realize sitting down is difficult.
  • Go to artist alley or the vendor hall, get stopped for pictures and see about a third of artist alley.
  • Pack up the costume and either drive home or to the hotel.
  • Find dinner because coffee and maybe some water is the only food you had today.
  • Sprawl out on the floor and let all aches and pains flow back into the earth through your fingertips.
  • Watch dumb stuff on YouTube while cruising through social media with your friends to see if you can find photos of each other.

This quote should be a sticky. :lol:

You guys need to learn to jump above the grunt plasma fire.

Also, shaving parts of armor to allow better movement, and improving padding for fit and comfort will help.
i sort of ran out of time to make good leg armor so i poured rondo into shins i pepped like a year ago, lots of warping, need to actually make some shin pieces. the rondo just digs into your skin

You guys need to learn to jump above the grunt plasma fire.

Also, shaving parts of armor to allow better movement, and improving padding for fit and comfort will help.

I did improve the padding and there was plenty of movement when I was standing/stairs/running it was sitting down that was the problem.

It's great when people walk over to you and not only know about HALO but know your character.....and yes the worst is when they have no clue as to who you are....I just nod my head and yell "YES....YES, I AM"( can't hear me through helmet if I just talk normal)........are you a Transformer?......"Yes, yes I am"........Pacific Rim?........"Yes, yes I am".......and I just move on......
this hurts me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back