How Do You Guys Feel About Halo 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah same could be said for the forerunner's. they looked at us as being weak and we fought them for over a million years before we lost but we did do a lot of damage in that time, and that's why LB like'd us, plus if the knight where human then why didn't they fight like plus where was the monitor from 03 at shouldn't have been on the sation?

For someone to 'play god' first one would have to prove that such an entity exists.

I'm going to go now... B

Tread lightly, Serin. I will simply state that you are addressing a Born-again Christian and remind you that this forum is not here for you to pointlessly attempt to discredit the divine, and warn you of the inevitable "war of words" that will come should you continue to pursue said attempt. Scientists cannot prove macro-evolution, the "big bang," nor the existence of the so-called "negative matter" Stephen Hawking's theory hinges upon, and yet such unproven ramblings are blindly regarded as fact. They are, however, very quick to overlook the simple fact that every statement he made during Hawking's "Do we need a god" documentary, for example, began with such phrases as "if we can assume...," which anyone who truly understands science, and more importantly truth, knows to mean "we know absolutely nothing and can prove even less." So perhaps these individuals care less about "playing god" and more about declaring themselves to be god-like in their assumptions that they, above all other human beings before and after, knows the secrets of the universe. A thousand years ago we "knew" for a fact, and could support with "solid scientific evidence" that the world was flat if by no other virtue than the simple fact that we have not slid, rolled, or otherwise fallen off it. A thousand years from now, everything we THINK we know today will be just as ignorant and preposterous as claiming today that the world is flat. We are still barbarians, we just shake more sophisticated "spears" at the sky.

I'm simply stating that for those who do not believe in any form of divine being/cow/dude, the term 'playing god' does not exist.
That is a term that exclusively applies for those who believe in specific religions.

Curious that you take this as some kind of affront...
Perhaps it is you who should tread lightly, because as much as I attempt to respect the diversity of beliefs around the world, it is unreasonable to roam the web expecting everyone to believe as you do.
I did not criticize your beliefs,
I simply posed a suggestion that in the context of this character, she would not even be conscience of anyone else's superstitious qualms.

It's an idiom. "Playing god" is a universally (or at least globally) understood figure of speech. "Jumping the shark," "letting the cat out of the bag," "messiah complex," these things apply whether or not the person being referred to has any personal notion or connection to them or not.

But NONE of that is relevant. Whether or not Catherine Halsey believes in any form of divine being (to my knowledge neither a confirmation nor a denial of this has EVER been stated, explicitly or implicitly, ANYWHERE in the Halo fiction) means absolutely nothing. The simple fact that she feels that she is smart enough, wise enough, skilled enough, or whatever enough to determine the proper and most beneficial direction the human race should take, and then implements it according to her will and design, THAT is "playing god" whether you're a devotee or atheist. Being that she refers to her Spartans as the next best step in human evolution it can be safely assumed she at least beliefs in evolution, at the very least "micro-evolution," that is the adaptation of a species resulting in subtle changes as opposed to "macro-evolution," which involves a change in species (amoebas becoming fish becoming amphibians becoming land-dwelling reptiles becoming avian reptiles becoming birds, for example). Under that assumption one could surmise that perhaps she has no regard for the supernatural (a rather unscientific approach, as science should embrace all possible explanations, even those that cannot yet be reproduced in a lab by our current level of technology). Regardless, by placing herself in the position of control over the "evolution" of humanity through her choice of artificial augmentations, she is still "playing god," and that is just one of many reasons why she is perceived as a potentially dangerous threat, which is the subject of the original question at hand here as to why the UNSC/ONI put a hit out on Halsey or had her locked away in the first place.

serin and zaff it does mention it in ghost of onyx page 157 it said:

"and although she didn't believe in god, she prayed to...someone."

she doesn't believe in any higher power... but she did pray to someone so who knows at this point.

I would just like to point out that the term "playing god" has nothing to do with an entity of any sort. The Cambridge dictionary's definition is: "to act as if you are in total control of something"

Perhaps a better term would be "playing universe" ?
Seems more accurate from a scientific perspective.

@Foxleader
Huh, I'd forgotten about that line... Haven't read Ghosts of Onyx in years.
Perhaps it speaks to Halsey's ability to critically think about her own actions as Marshall touched on earlier? A yearning for her actions to be somehow forgiven etc etc.

Oh dear.. I feel like I'm back in highschool literature >.<

Right, and her reference to the Spartans as the next step in human evolution would likewise imply that at the very least she's skeptical of the divine. But still, a figure of speech is exactly that. It's not meant to be taken literally, otherwise PETA and the ASPCA would have a collective heart attack every time it "rained cats and dogs."

Ahaaahahahahaha!
PETA's too busy criticizing Pokemon :p

I'm convinced the whole thing is a figment in the imagination of a kid who's in a coma. That's why he's still 10 even after traveling around for a little over 6 years (going by time lapses mentioned in the show). His subconscious has no concept of what life would be like beyond that age, and thus he doesn't age. Plus the whole "10 year old kid does in 2 hours what the full force of the police cannot accomplish over several months" theme that is prevalent in many anime.

Ok, I know, that's off topic, but couldn't resist.

or the kid is forced into something he doesn't understand and soon he's protecting the world like in evangelion 1.11 you are(not) alone. he's the protecter of all man kind and yet he's not in control his father/ mad men(SAEEL) is. huh maybe the chief isn't a kid but more like a teenager trying to figure out what to do with his life heck I still like this one turn out the the fan story "the love of a Spartan" the ending is just what the chief needs.

I personally really disliked halo 4, I mean I kinda liked some of the soundtrack but the multiplayer was too similar to COD and the story made no sense whatsoever. I do understand that this is the first halo game that 343 spat out but next time they need to do a little more homework on the subject before they just dive into something they don't understand.

Personally, I was over joyed when I heard that they were finally tying in the books to the game. And I know that there are many nay say-ers against 343 instead of Bungie, but I think many miss that a lot of 343 are ex-Bungie people who couldn't give up Halo. Loved, loved, loved Halo 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back