How Slushcasting Works - Urethane in Action

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome! Should give everyone interested some idea of how it works.
Oh, and nice choice of background music ;)
*Spider-Pig, Spider-Pig*

very awesome. id heard you saying you slushcasted your armor, but I didnt actually know how that worked. awesome.

Holy Crap, all I need to do is make a mold now, question though, will it be that flimsy always? it seems rubbery.

Hey Adam,

You might want to pick up some 1 gallon, 2.5 gallon, and/or 5 gallon buckets.

That way you can get enough in a single pour so you won't have differences between the two mixtures AND you don't lose any with slop from a large enough bucket. Although with each bucket the time to stir properly increases, so you'd need either a different mechanism or you'd have to make sure you can get it all mixed up within the material's pot life.

adreniline said:
Holy Crap, all I need to do is make a mold now, question though, will it be that flimsy always? it seems rubbery.

when it cools, it's hard as a rock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great vid Adam... I truly appreciate this.

I haven't done any slushcasting of my armor or weapons, but I have for other projects and with other materials. It makes me want to give it a shot again.

Ever thought about doing a two part cavity mold.. That you can just inject the plastic or press cast. Much easier and you'll get cleaner results.

The epoxy reaction is an exothermic reaction, so it produces a bit of heat.

Too much epoxy = too hot of a casting = melted mold or fire.

its a chemical reaction that produces heat as a byproduct, so yes, it gets hot for awhile then cools.

I have a few questions...

How would a silicon mold that big cost?

Where can I get one?

What are you mixing to make the cast, and where do I get it?

I can answer these...

1. $100 - $200 dependnig on material choices

2. You have to make it yourself, or hire a moldmaker to do it for you.

3. It's rotocasting urethane... Adam said that in his first post. It's available though Smooth-On... a mold supply company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back