How To Export From Google Sketchup To Pepakura Designer-Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtreme TACTICS 101

Hey everyone,

I have noticed an abundance of question threads asking how to export a model from Google Sketch-Up to Pepakura Designer. I have decided to write a tutorial to help ease the amount of question threads being created, and to make it so you have less stress attempting to export a .SKP file into Pepakura Designer 3 format (.PDO). This may not be hw everybody else does it, but this is how I do it. So far, this has worked great for me.

Now, onto the tutorial.

--------------------------------------------------

STARTING NOTES:

-If you have any further questions regarding modeling with Google Sketch-Up 7, or any questions regarding making props and/or costumes, feel free to ask me. My contact information is as follows:

MSN: xtremetactics@hotmail.com

E-mail: halo99567@yahoo.ca

405th PM: Xtreme TACTICS 101

-In order to save your 3D models in Pepakura Designer, you need a Pepakura password. If you do not have a password, you can not save your files in Pepakura Designer or Viewer.

-Do not use Pepakura Viewer for this. You need Pepakura Designer to scale and properly print your Pepakura models.

First, open your model of choice in Google Sketch-Up. I will be using Google Sketch-Up 7 for this tutorial. I will also be using my own model of Legacy Effects Tarkov chest plate from the “We Are ODST” live action short film.

149459_screenshot_09_l.jpg

Next, click “File”, and go down to “Export”.

HaloReachAR.jpg

A box should open in the middle of your screen. Choose where to export your file (My Documents, Desktop…) and what to export it as. I HIGHLY recommend exporting it as a .KMZ (Google Earth). Finally, click “Export“.

halo_reach_610_1263987046.jpg

The box should automatically close, and a small loading box should appear.

MA5B.jpg

Depending on the detail and size of the 3D model, it may take seconds or minutes to export. When the Export is complete, another small box should pop up. Click “OK” to close it.

ReachSpartan2.jpg

Now, go to the place you saved it, and right click. Go to “Open With >“ then to “Pepakura Designer…”

Reach_Battle_Riflecopycopy.jpg

Pepakura Designer should then open with your file. You may notice that the model has open edges. You can fix those by re-opening the Google-Sketch-Up file, and re-doing the mesh in the area the open edge(s) are.

149459_screenshot_09_l-1.jpg

When you believe you have fixed all of the open edges, save the model, and re-follow the steps above. Continue to do this until you are satisfied with the model in Pepakura Designer.

Armorchoices-2.jpg

Good luck!

For further information about how to use Google Sketch-Up 7, visit this site:

Google Sketch-Up: Video Tutorials

For tutorials on how to use Pepakura Designer during the pre-printing and peping stages, visit the 405th Source Main Page every Tuesday, and look at the weekly article “Tips and Tricks With TACTICS”. For the next few weeks, I will be going over the basic operations of Pepakura Designer.

You can also visit this thread for links to those tutorials, and the many other tutorials I have written for the costuming community on the 405th.

Xtreme TACTICS 101- Ultimate Tutorial Hub

Good luck, and happy costuming!

I followed this to the letter, pep does not take kmz. for me. Is it a problem with pep designer? I get, "failed to open a file"

Well, it may be the version of Sketch-Up, Google Earth, or even Pepakura Designer you are using. Do you have a password for Pepakura Designer? That also may be the problem.

I use:

Pepakura Designer 3.0.6

Google Sketch-Up 7

Google Earth (2010 version-the newest version available)

Also, if you have a Mac, and you are running Boot Camp, that may contribute to the problem...

Other then those reasons, I haven't the slightest idea.

something bevbor told me that i was missing is a would have a face or two the wrong way which was leading to open edges. its a small thing that can easily slip by someone new to the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back