How To Scale Your Armour - Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much. This was one of the major barriers in my project. There were various tutorials on scaling all over the forums, but none mentioned how to scale with pep. 3 and its weird choice of milimeters as measuring unit. Thanks again for the time you put into helping us noobs scale our armor. Its really nice to have someone advertising to give help to noobs. It is such a relief compared to the almost downright nasty attitude of some members toward helping noobs. I seriously appreciate your work here. Well done!

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
jlhR2, PM me with a digital copy of the tutorial booklet you put togeather. I will take a look at it and we will go from there.

PM Sent, also sent you an e-mail as well. This is really a great place to start for noobs. Method 3 and 1 in Combination is what I am using personally.

~James

Last edited by a moderator:
Replied to your E-mail.

Okay, I have noticed a slowing down in PM's and E-mails about scaling (Thank-you!) BUT, I would like to remind people to read the tutorial twice, and try all of the methods twice before contacting me. You have a scaling problem if you can't scale correctly after trying every possible method.

Again, read, scale, print and pep before asking me!

Thank-you, and I am currently doing everything in my power to get this thread stickied!

Again, thank-you all for your continued support!

Cheers!

Maybe because you're asking for it? See it as Recon. Don't ask or you won't get it. If the mods don't think it should be stickied, it's their problem. Just let your inbox fill itself, and you won't get any PM. Who's going to receive the PMs after? Probably the mods. Eh. ^^

Thank you, I used method one, It was kind of confusing where your talking about sizing Hayabusa helmet when you were also talking about sizing normally. I suggest you separate them.

Noob question for method 1.

I have yet to test any of these out myself and have only started making a helmet, but would the actual picture not pose a huge problem when scaling? I mean you could have the picture you used as an example vs one of the same person, taken by the same photographer, BUT zoomed way out or in and that alone would send the whole scaling out of wack would it not? Besides, not everybodies body is the same so by using a pic as reference that isnt the form of a person's body may cause some problems.

Pretty late and I'm tired, but just thought I'd throw that out there before I try any of these. Mi myself would think that taking measurements of my own body to scale vs using an internet picture as reference would do the trick...but what do I know? Cheers :)

InrDmons said:
Noob question for method 1.

I have yet to test any of these out myself and have only started making a helmet, but would the actual picture not pose a huge problem when scaling? I mean you could have the picture you used as an example vs one of the same person, taken by the same photographer, BUT zoomed way out or in and that alone would send the whole scaling out of wack would it not? Besides, not everybodies body is the same so by using a pic as reference that isnt the form of a person's body may cause some problems.

Pretty late and I'm tired, but just thought I'd throw that out there before I try any of these. Mi myself would think that taking measurements of my own body to scale vs using an internet picture as reference would do the trick...but what do I know? Cheers :)

I'll take this one... :)

Yes you are right in a sense and I think it's been discusses here before, but it's early for me today.

First the use of a photograph is the best way to determine scale of one object to another. Regardless of the photo or the photographer one object will be in proper proportions to the other object measured in the same way from the same photograph. this is why it is important to use a photo of a full body so you can get the scale and proportions of the objects from the same perspective. So long as the photographer doesn't use some sort of funky lens method one will work as described.

Not if you measure your body to fit the pieces to you, the armor will fit you and probably be very comfortable, however the scale and proportions will be off and you could end up a distorted looking suit. For example an over weight person would have an extremely wide chest piece and an extremely tall person would have an abnormally longer chest piece.

To get the best looking proportional suit use method #1, but if you are larger width or height wise then you may have to accept that your suit will not be in the proper scale.

I hopw that clarifies it for you, and welcome to the site.

I think this is the best tut for people getting started & if you combine this with Mr Oreo's smooth low def's it Works well with option 3 (I used that one ) & got a very accurate suit for my husband he's 5'10 280pnds because they are Robo's files.

This is a really nice tutorial. I'm using this one for my suit instead what I was doing. Which was not really scaling anything :unsure

Do you mind if I ask you if my scaling is correct?

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
Go ahead. I don't have a problem with that.

Okay, so my dad is 6' and I'm 5'8" and 15 so I added 8 cm for growth and using the first method. The scale is 1:7.34 which I rounded to 7 and the height of the helmet in the picture is 4.3cm so that brings it to 30.1cm with 4.3 x 7. Everything seem right? Thanks!

Keep your 7.34 as 7.3. You would be supprised what a single number after a decimal can do to the accuracy of your scaling.

Other then that, after you adjust everything with the 7.3 in place of the 7, it should be fine.

Cheers!

Roadwarrior said:
Thank you, I used method one, It was kind of confusing where your talking about sizing Hayabusa helmet when you were also talking about sizing normally. I suggest you separate them.

Noted, and fixed. I hope that is better.

As for the sticky for this thread, don't look forward to it. I contacted a mod about it and was told although it has amazing sticky potential, there may soon be a tutorial section in the forum. This will eliminate the need for stickies.

Either stickey, or tut section, this deserves it! Thumbs up! This really helped, Thanks for your hard work! MAkes us noobs not freak out! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back