Howdy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Captain Hillman

Hey all,

I've just registered and this is my first post so feel free to call me a noob. I just wanted to introduce myself and run a few things by you all. So I'm looking to make some master chief armour for a games convention i'm going to. I've read through all the noob guides and I just wanted to make sure I've got it all understood. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is the general jist of it ...

-Download pepakura
-Print pdo files from pepakura onto thick card
-Cut & assemble card template
-Resin the inside of template
-Add fiberglass sheet.
-Another coat of resin
-Once set remove card
-Shape the fiberglass cast
-Paint cast
-Add detail/weather the cast etc
-Attach to under armour
- DONE!

Of course all the safety stuff like wearing glasses, respirator gloves etc goes without saying, as does allowing the resin to set.
Anything else I should know before I start?

Thanks,
Hillman

um... i realyl don't know where people are getting the idea that you remove the card stock.... xD
1. the card stock would be almost imposible to remove!
2. whats the point?
3. thicker makes it look more reilistic

and, you don't have to make a cast unless
a. you plan to sell it
b. you are making more...

I see, I've seen guides stating that the card should be waxed first so it can be removed after, but I suppose if you're only making the one you can leave it on. Also I only used the word 'cast' as I didn't know what else to call the fiberglass bit :D

That's more or less the idea, but what happens is you need to print it off onto cardstock then that becomes your base, you don't remove the cardstock. And you usually resin the inside and out so that it become sort of waterproof But the primer should also do something along the lines of that before you begin to paint it.

Anyways, welcome to the 405th! If you ever need help feel free to ask. Hope you enjoy it here :)

Hey all,

I've just registered and this is my first post so feel free to call me a noob. I just wanted to introduce myself and run a few things by you all. So I'm looking to make some master chief armour for a games convention i'm going to. I've read through all the noob guides and I just wanted to make sure I've got it all understood. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is the general jist of it ...

-Download pepakura
-Print pdo files from pepakura onto thick card
-Cut & assemble card template
-Add Fiberglass and resin to inside
-Add Resin to outside (about 2-3 layers)

-Paint armor piece
-Add detail/weather the armor piece etc
-Put on under armor
-Attach pieces starting with...
*Thighs
*Shins
*Boots
*Shoulders
*Forearms
*handplates
*Chest
*Cod
*Helmet

- DONE!
*to take off...
*Do above steps backwards

Of course all the safety stuff like wearing glasses, respirator gloves etc goes without saying, as does allowing the resin to set.
Anything else I should know before I start?

Thanks,
Hillman

OK look at all the edits I made to your original post, they are in bold...
That should put you in the right direction

Also there is another technique you can use instead of fiberglassing...
Its called Rondo, first you resin the outside, then you take bondo body filler and resin and mix them together (I think the amount is fill half the cup with bondo, a quarter with resin and add the correct amount of hardener for both. dont quote me on that!!) you will then have this pinkish brownish goop,* pour this goop into the armor piece, spread it around through out the piece,** wait till it hardens!

*Before you pour it you can glue down pieces of fiberglass into the piece to make it even stronger!
or
**While it hardens you can add fiberglass mat or cloth to the mix to make it even stronger!

DO NOT DO BOTH IT WILL WASTE FIBERGLASS, and your piece will be as hard as a rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back