Hud Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

gasman7

I've been reading over the Halo novels again and I noticed that in First Strike after Fred hit the ground after jumping out of the Pelican his display is black and he thinks that it has malfunctioned.
This makes me think that instead of just projecting an image onto the visor, the visor is actually a display.
Supporting this theory is the fact that a HUD CANNOT project colour and Jenkins mission record is all in colour.
What are your thoughts.

well, you have to have a minimum distance of about 6 inches or so inf ront of your eyes.....

our helmets do not have that much room inside. not to mention fitting a "projector" of sorts inside as well. you best bet is a small LCD screen hooked up to a computer or chip that is programmed by you to send out the animatic of this HUD display that you have designed on your computer, with an opacity level that coudl be adjusted on the fly.

I was thinking more of a bent OLED screen in place of the visor.
The OLED screen can be made super thin and printed straight on top of your regular visor.
They also consume a lot LESS power than an LCD screen.
my idea was to hook it up to two cameras on the front of the helmet then have the HUD programmed over that.
If you wanted to get really spiffy then you could even hook it up to a PDA/cellphone/GPS and show incoming calls, your current location and change modes via a little touch screen.

All this stuff about adding HUDs in your helmet, I honestly don't see the point. You won't be in your armor long enough to get all technical and fancy, nobody is going to see it, and it's just not very practical.

I would tend to agree, Enrisan. Given the short period of time any of us will actually spend in our MJOLNIR armour, it's not very practical or cost-effective. But you have to admit... it's still a pretty kewl concept :cool:

Concept is sweet and does have practical merit for a windowless display for defense contracts and the like. However, you're probably talking a good $3000 to get the compact Hi-Def cameras and the OLED custom made ($3000 at the very cheapest!). Also, the human eye has a hard time focusing on objects less than 25 cm from them (around 9.8") without straining. This would give you a headache and even though you had 2 cameras to try to give you a stereoscopic effect you would still have trouble interpreting depth.

Also, Jenkins' mission log was in full color because the camera he had mounted in his gear allowed for it. The visor he had was not recording the events.

BFDesigns said:
Also, Jenkins' mission log was in full color because the camera he had mounted in his gear allowed for it. The visor he had was not recording the events.

BFDesigns is right, all marine visors in Halo: Combat Evolved are green so you would see a tiny HUD in your left eye but the camera in his helmet was able to record in colour with sound. Kind of like a black box in a plane, but with video as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
BFDesigns said:

I wasn't actually talking about Jenkins watching the mission record but the Master Chief.
For the master chief to have watched it in full colour he would have needed a full colour display.
Also I wasn't talking about it being practical but as more of a concept.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on the roominess of your visor, it could be possible to cannibalize the viewing screen off of this toy. My lil' bro has one, and it's actually very easy to focus on the screen. When you're looking at the screen, however, you can't look at anything else. So this could be possible for relatively cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back