Hugh's 3D Sketchbook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys :)

Na, you did great. The iron helm in the trailer was different than in the game wasn't it? They always do that :/

Well next up for me is probably a sniper rifle CNC file for a short film and some sort of cybernetic motorcycle for a music video. I wanted to get all of the quick stuff out of the way first before I tackle those because they're going to be beast projects :)

Max I'm shooting you a pm

-Hugh

Thanks guys :)

Na, you did great. The iron helm in the trailer was different than in the game wasn't it? They always do that :/

Well next up for me is probably a sniper rifle CNC file for a short film and some sort of cybernetic motorcycle for a music video. I wanted to get all of the quick stuff out of the way first before I tackle those because they're going to be beast projects :)

Max I'm shooting you a pm

-Hugh

Could be, it seemed the eye rim was diffrent at the side in the trailer. Ohwell :p Can't wait to see your rifle!

Great work :D I had a question, would I be able to commission you to get me a Dead Space 2 model into Pepakura?

Can't believe you Hugh, you never fail to amaze me. Your pep files look flawless. Where did you learn your 3d modeling? That's a skill I'd like to learn.

Hi there Hugh, first of all great 3D modeling work, wish I could do so!

I have only one question: using the .obj files exported from pepakura or an original .3ds file, how do I convert them to make them usable on a CNC mill? The owner of the machine has asked me for STEP or IGES files. I have tried exporting in those format with 3D studio max 2011 but he said that they were not good for the machine's software (I think he uses Solidworks or something similar).

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys!

@Sir Tsaboc - Thanks! But I'm still an entry level 3D guy. I first started learning 3D when I was in high school. I opted to take a vocational class for it. I also did some self teaching when I was in the Marines between 2003 and 2007 but I didn't start any formal training until 2007 at Full Sail University.

Hi there Hugh, first of all great 3D modeling work, wish I could do so!

I have only one question: using the .obj files exported from pepakura or an original .3ds file, how do I convert them to make them usable on a CNC mill? The owner of the machine has asked me for STEP or IGES files. I have tried exporting in those format with 3D studio max 2011 but he said that they were not good for the machine's software (I think he uses Solidworks or something similar).

Any help would be much appreciated!

No problem. 99.9% of all 3d files will not be usable straight out of pepakura because they are not closed (watertight) surfaces. This means that it needs to have at minimum 3 faces joined together with an interior space. If you export a 3d object that isn't closed and doesn't have the face normals pointed in the correct direction you will have trouble using that model for fabrication purposes. Look there first, after that look to the exporter your software (3DS max) is using. Sometimes plugins made by 3rd parties simply do not work when trying to go between softwares.

A lot of hobby and small business level CNC controller software can be fickle. You'd be hard pressed to find software that wasn't buggy without spending tens of thousands of dollars. That being said, there are very good software options made specially for using 3D (Polygon based) objects out there, but if your CNC guy is asking for just those two file types then he probably doesn't have them.

STEP and IGES files are associated with CAD programs. They primarily deal with parametric modeling - surfaces derived from the calculation of a curve. This type of modeling is based more on math, functionality, and ability to be fabricated - much like modeling with NURBS in the 3D program you're using. With that, it's safe to say that this type of modeling is much more efficient for this kind of work (props)

Yodajammies is a professional sculptor that works heavily in this type of work so he'd know more than I would. For me, coming from a special effects/animation background using animation tools is just easier for me. I know a lot of pro CNC guys would probably raise an eyebrow to someone that uses 3DS max or Maya to do what they do. But at the end of the day I guess all that matters is the final product and not the method used to create it.

Current project:

Started working on this Saturday

407314_232682230151019_209271642492078_509381_1649269311_n.jpg

Well, it's something different! I wish I could show the concept art, what a challenge.

Just stopping in to say how much I love watching you're work. You're files are Epic and the attention to detail is out of this world. Thank you for all you're hard work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back