I Am Legend (NO SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so Friday night, me and a group of friends saw "I Am Legend" with Will Smith. It had to be one of the best movies I have seen in a while! Unfortunately, it was rather short for just being under 2 hrs. Has anyone else seen this movie? And if so, what were your views on it?

**CAUTION** Though it says NO SPOILERS, some posts may contain un-concealed movie spoilers! Please take note of this before proceeding!

JediStumpy said:
saw it friday night...loved it. great movie! a emtional ride with thrilling action!
Yes, it was suspenseful, and emotional. But again, great movie. I heard it was a re-make of an older one made back maybe in the 70's?

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed the movie. It was more artistic than I thought it would be, and that's a good thing. It's not often you get a sci-fi thriller that also has artistic value. I was a little disappointed with the ending though. Not the part where Will Smith charged with the grenade, but the part after that. It wasn't exactly a remake of Omega Man, but close, as the infection in Omega Man was cause by fallout from a biological war.

As a side note, did you know that Will Smith has never die in any movie his been in yet, except this one of course.

In actuality, that movie and this one was based off the book, I Am Legend written in 1954. Check here for more information on Omega Man.

-Magnum

PS- Werd Nal, when a topic about a movie says NO SPOILERS, it means your not suppose to take about specific things that happened in the movie, only if you liked it or not.

I heard there were awesomeness zombies. In the comercials there were none...good move in my opinion.

I just got home from seeing I Am Legend...I thought it was awesome! They gave a great sense of the city being empty, barren, and overgrown, almost (if not) on par with 28 Day Later, which I love. Although I spied an M249 SAW (squad automatic weapon, if you don't know, used for laying down a ton of suppressive fire, kinda like the turrets in Halo 3 when you rip them off) in his gun cabinet that he never used, may have been useful at some points haha.

I admittedly almost cried at the dog part, though...and you would think he would have grabbed a sample of the drug he injected the mutant girl with instead of her blood...I dunno how well you could make another 'miracle drug' using her blood instead of the actual vaccine.

Werd Nal said:
SPARTAN you just spoiled so much!!! Edit yours post. I didnt put mine in any context, your explanation is like detailed....
Idk know any coding, and I cant seem to find the highlight so I can black it out, but the best I can do is make it White text color!

P.S.: I take that Omega Man is based off the book "I Am Legend" as well with the cinema featuring Will Smith? And did you know that, that is actually Will Smith's daughter?

I saw I Am Legend with my girlfriend yesterday. (yay for scary movies! she kept jumping on me :lol: )

The creature effects dissapointed me, and the ending was also dissapointing(Will Smith ending, and the mother and child , the movie could have also been dragged on another hour (EASILY!) in my opinion.

Overall a good movie, probably wouldnt see it again though.

Monstermaker13 said:
I saw I Am Legend with my girlfriend yesterday. (yay for scary movies! she kept jumping on me :lol: )

The creature effects dissapointed me, and the ending was also dissapointing(Will Smith ending, and the mother and child , the movie could have also been dragged on another hour (EASILY!) in my opinion.

Overall a good movie, probably wouldnt see it again though.
Agreed. The movie was kind of short. The only time I would see this movie again, is if its in IMAX 3D, which it is, but the nearest IMAX theater is in Philadelphia, PA.

I enjoyed it ...
but it had some problems ... for me it was too laid out like ... do stuff/sleep ... do more stuff/ sleep ... etc.
It was a little too rhythmatic for me

I wish that there had been like a fleshing out of how they were evolving like how he said "today a male exposed himself to sunlight" and then the trap was set uup and he had dogs unleashed ... and like he ripped up the ceiling ... that one special guy who broke the glass in the end ...... it really reminded me of the black zombie from land of the dead

U guys know what im talking about

A lot of people told me not to expect anything great for this movie, and how its just another vampire movie. Well I did enjoy this movie and from what it looks like, so did you guys! I was only disappointed on how short the movie was :(. I was expecting at least 2hrs 30min. Though I wouldn't blame the producers, according to IMDB, it took an estimated $5,000,000 just to film a 6 day shot in New York, including the Brooklyn Bridge. They had the same problem in the 1990's. They wanted to remake I Am Legend but instead of Will Smith, Arnold Schwartzinegar...

SPARTAN-430 said:
Agreed. The movie was kind of short. The only time I would see this movie again, is if its in IMAX 3D, which it is, but the nearest IMAX theater is in Philadelphia, PA.
I would also like to see the movie in I-MAX

Did anyone think the male Infected looked like the mummy version of Arnold Vosloo ( Imhotep from "The Mummy - 1991" ?

I mean seriously, everytime one of them popped up I thought that.

Some of you guys are missing the point of the whole movie.

Though the movie had mutated creatures(not vampires or zombies) in it, it was not about the mutated creatures. Yes that was the driving plot, but the movie was more about his personal struggle to stay alive ALL ON HIS OWN. Note that he talked to the mannequins as if they were real people. He had a regiment for a reason, so he could stay somewhat sane. It's like if you got put into solitary and was told you'd need hear or see another person for the rest of your life. If you didn't figure out a schedule, you'd go insane. It became his obsession, and that's why he didn't run from them at the end. He was tired of running. Yes, he could of gotten in that coal shaft, but that would have been an even worse ending than what we saw.

I don't really expect people to understand what I'm talking about, because you almost had to be looking for the meaning behind the movie to even see it. If you take it at face value, you won't get a lot of what happened.

I do wish they would have gotten more into why the dark stalkers were actually still pretty smart, but that was another thing with the whole being alone part. He pictured himself as superior to the stalkers so he wouldn't be intimidated by them.

There's a lot of hidden meanings and stuff in the movie. I strongly suggest if you'd like to understand it a lot better, either read the book or get it on DVD and watch it with the commentary on. Yes this movie AND Omega Man were both based off the book "I Am Legend" written in 1954(I thought I said that already?).

I don't mean to offend anyone with this, just trying to help people understand the movie better.

-Magnum

PS - A friend of mine almost got one of those charred dummy bodies of the stalkers after the big explosion at the end. He was in New York when they were filming this.

23Magnum said:
Some of you guys are missing the point of the whole movie.

Though the movie had mutated creatures(not vampires or zombies) in it, it was not about the mutated creatures. Yes that was the driving plot, but the movie was more about his personal struggle to stay alive ALL ON HIS OWN. Note that he talked to the mannequins as if they were real people. He had a regiment for a reason, so he could stay somewhat sane. It's like if you got put into solitary and was told you'd need hear or see another person for the rest of your life. If you didn't figure out a schedule, you'd go insane. It became his obsession, and that's why he didn't run from them at the end. He was tired of running. Yes, he could of gotten in that coal shaft, but that would have been an even worse ending than what we saw.

I don't really expect people to understand what I'm talking about, because you almost had to be looking for the meaning behind the movie to even see it. If you take it at face value, you won't get a lot of what happened.

I do wish they would have gotten more into why the dark stalkers were actually still pretty smart, but that was another thing with the whole being alone part. He pictured himself as superior to the stalkers so he wouldn't be intimidated by them.

There's a lot of hidden meanings and stuff in the movie. I strongly suggest if you'd like to understand it a lot better, either read the book or get it on DVD and watch it with the commentary on. Yes this movie AND Omega Man were both based off the book "I Am Legend" written in 1954(I thought I said that already?).

I don't mean to offend anyone with this, just trying to help people understand the movie better.

-Magnum

PS - A friend of mine almost got one of those charred dummy bodies of the stalkers after the big explosion at the end. He was in New York when they were filming this.

I agree 100%. The people next to me questioned so many things, alot of people over looked the point of this movie just to see action.

o_O We've got people here who have seriously read the book but never see the original Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price. It's the original film version of the book and the screenplay was written by the author.

It may be old and black and white but it is still creepier than the two later remakes. "Robert, Let me in. Let me it Robert."
Freaky but check it out.

Monstermaker13 said:
The creature effects dissapointed me

I agree, they looked way too "cartoony" or just not real/human enough! Makeup is wayyyy better in my opinion, or at least decent CG models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back