I am making a Mark VI cosplay for the first time and need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGodCaboose

I am making a Mark VI cosplay and i need help. What are the items that I should use I already have the pepakura designer i just need to know what would be the best to use for the armor, and what i would need for it, thank you.

Use EVA foam. Its very easy to cut and make patterns with. You can get a 4 pack for $10.00 at Harbor Frieght. They are the puzzle matts you see in garages. For the details, I use 5mm craft foam. You can find a sheet of that for 1.29 at Hobby Lobby. Hope I helped.

Does anyone know how to do the visor part? that is going to be my main problem

There are a number of options, and they are discussed daily here on the forums. Popular options include using a motorcycle visor, vacuforming your own, or using thin sheets of acrylic/flexible plastic. Do some reading through other people's builds and it's amazing how much you can learn!

In addition to EVA foam (and check out Amazon too, you can find good deals since the color doesn't matter) you may also want to look into 2 mm craft foam. Joann's sells a roll for about $9 and I use it for finer detail work and smoothing surfaces, having picked up that tip from RoxyRoo and LilTyrant. Also, I cannot stress this enough, either be prepared to continuously sharpen a box cutter for your cutting or stock up on #11 blades for an Exacto or similar hobby knife. The foam dulls blades incredibly fast. Finally, check out HaloGoddess' tutorial on scaling http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=31627, if you haven't already. I found it extremely helpful.

In addition to EVA foam (and check out Amazon too, you can find good deals since the color doesn't matter) you may also want to look into 2 mm craft foam. Joann's sells a roll for about $9 and I use it for finer detail work and smoothing surfaces, having picked up that tip from RoxyRoo and LilTyrant. Also, I cannot stress this enough, either be prepared to continuously sharpen a box cutter for your cutting or stock up on #11 blades for an Exacto or similar hobby knife. The foam dulls blades incredibly fast. Finally, check out HaloGoddess' tutorial on scaling http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=31627, if you haven't already. I found it extremely helpful.

^^^^can confirm about razor blades... went through 400 on my build and a couple small props...yes, 400

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but make sure the files you download for pepakura designer are foam files. They should say in the name or file location if they are.

Me personally I enjoy using paper and going the long road. I find it almost zen like to just sit and cut everything out and then use a hot glue gun and put everything together. But like I said, this way takes a bit more time and patience so if you have something coming up that you want to make it to you may not want to start with this method.

Oh, and shortly after I wrote this, I found this link...

http://www.405th.com/f19/foam-guide-list-options-supplies-tools-methods-used-foam-builds-42014/

Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back