I Got An Early Christmas Persent

Status
Not open for further replies.
waterNIG said:
but i need some help using it and stuff like that......
any tips and tricks???

Dont even plug it in without safty glasses and by safety glasses I meen safty glasses not reading glasses or sun glasses spend the 5 bucks and get a pair of clear wraparounds that cover your eyes. Trust me from many years working in metal fab shops getting debris cut from your eye is no fun.
Buy yourself a good carbide cutting wheel the ceramic ones can detonate without warning when you spool up the motor.
Get comfortable (sp) where you can work on your projects without being in a ackward position or where you have to try and balance your project and cut where the debris is thrown towards your body.
Resperator or particulate mask at the least whenever your cutting be it resin, bondo, wood anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes definitely get some safety goggles. I learned that the hard way when a piece of plexiglass hit me in the eye.

safety is priority over it all... i have 2 dremels.. one doesnt work properly... but heres my sugesstion.. if its new udes the snake neck.. its easyer to get around your peice of armor or artwork. also always always when your working have a section where you protect yourself because the peices are flying towards your body.. if a large chunck comes off well its best be prepaired.. i have a makeshift carboard vest so nothing huts me... if anyone remebers the topic not to long ago where one guy was working with a larger machine and hit his gonads.. well these will be smaller projectiles but they still aint fun!

regards,
fluffy

NEVER work over a carpeted area, dremels make a HUGE mess... as it was already states get eye protection... if you wear glasses that's not good enough, you need to at least have safety glasses.

If you start working on plexiglass a simple alergy face mask would be very useful. Once you start carving on wood, you will get powder everywhere.

If you don't have a shop vac already, go get one. When you use the dremel, you will want the shop vac close by as you will likely be covered in dust when you are done.

Goto a hardware store (Ace, Menards, Home Depot... etc...) and buy a large accessory kit for your dremel. You will get a variety of carving bits and several sanding bits and 1 or 2 saw bits.

Be very mindful of the blade as it will take out large chunks of skin if you brush up against it, if your hand starts cramping up, its time to shut it off and take a little break.

When you are about to use it for the first time, practice on some scrap wood. You will want to draw some shapes on the wood with a pencil or pen. Your goal will be to carve out these shapes. Your next goal will be to carve a shape into the wood and have the wood as flat as possible when you are done.

Be careful when you buy new bits... make sure they are for dremels as router bits might look a lot like them, but they aren't. They offer drill bits but I won't ever use them. If you get hard core you will have 1 or 2 drills with built in levels for drilling straight up and down... maybe even a drill press...

Dremels are for soft materials like wood and most plastics. Do NOT use it on metals unless you are using the cutting disk designed for cutting metal.

thanks for all the safety tips guys.....
for a safety glasses i use a paintball mask and a one time use paint respirator
ive been practicing on my skim board and so to be starting on my armor (once i get my resin fiberglass and bondo)
and a question what kind of set should i get the all in one, carving, cutting, or polishing

You likely only got 1 cutting bit and some sanding disks with your dremel, I would suggest a all in 1 kit fist off, they run like 20$. As you become more familiar with your dremel you may want to buy more, but bits run 3-5$ each, doesn't sound bad until you realize you need several different bits...

the Pyramid bit, and one that looks somewhat like a cylander are the 2 that I use the most. There is one with a small ball on the tip, its great for adding fine details. If you want to make straight lines you can get a barrel extender and rig up a heavy duty metal ruler above what you are working on, use the ruler to guide the dremel.

Use higher speeds for taking off larger ammounts of wood/plastic and the lower speeds when you are doing fine details as the slower speeds don't cut as fast saving you from some fustrating accidental cuts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back