I Quit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tahu said:
Man this sucks.

My suggestion would be to, everytime you spot a re-poster of your model and he takes credit for it, contact a moderator to sort things out so everyone knows its your for sure, then IP - ban that member without even pre-warning the member. No mercy for the banhammer!

I wouldnt doubt that for a second if I ran the forums, because we are dependent of our great modelers.

Kind Regards,

/Tahu

I second.

So everybody start taking those wip pics, but don't post the wip pics unless you need to.

Last edited by a moderator:
sharkhead7854 said:
Great point!

Although there are scratch builders here, majority of people are using pepakura files. If all the modelers get scared off, what's left? =/

Thanks, though the scratch builders would´nt be affected (if they dont use pepakura as inspiration), we could still procced with this suggestion. It will give some gurantee to the modelers that they have the option to report people in case they spot someone reposting and taking credit for their hard work.

sharkhead7854 said:
Well, technically if Dungbeetle charges for, say Iron Man helmet files, then he is supposed to be paying "likeness" royalty to Marvel, and even that is if he never calls it "Iron Man". =/

Not the point though, he's been making these files to help people make a costume. Why try to take a man's work and call it your own? DX

Just to be clear, my comment wasn't in any way trying to defend the copy-cats. I have had someone else claim one of my models as his own too. Even if it was just a hand plate, it still left a bitter taste in my mouth and reassured me that not sharing my models is the right way to go.

The point I was trying to make is that if the law does work like Perceptor says, it means that nobody will ever have any protection, as anyone would be able to make the same claim that their version is just their artistic interpretation. It would basically be a catch 22 sort of deal. The only time it could work, and most likely does, is for original work, which as far as I know most of dungbeetle's peps aren't. Great models, yes. Original work, no.

Tahu said:
Man this sucks.

My suggestion would be to, everytime you spot a re-poster of your model and he takes credit for it, contact a moderator to sort things out so everyone knows its your for sure, then IP - ban that member without even pre-warning the member. No mercy for the banhammer!

I wouldnt doubt that for a second if I ran the forums, because we are dependent of our great modelers.

Kind Regards,

/Tahu

IP banning sounds good, but it isn't always that easy. A lot of IP adresses are dynamic, which means that they aren't specific to one computer. There are also a lot of ways to hide your IP adress too.

sharkhead7854 said:
If all the modelers get scared off, what's left? =/

Hopefully, admins that will realize that the forum needs defined rules. Right now the forum is a giant sandbox and any moderating done on the forum is arbitrary, which in my eyes isn't a very good way to attract serious people.

I'm sorry to hear this. I have some of your files and I really like your work.

You are amezing modeler. I have not had a chance to finish my ironman project yet only the helmet that unfold by samuray

I love your models. Thank you for all the work you have done for us. you're rock doungbeetle

I still think files should be available on a PM basis at least. I mean, those things were amazing dude. Look at all this support that you're losing by making this drastic move

AceHigh said:
Just to be clear, my comment wasn't in any way trying to defend the copy-cats. I have had someone else claim one of my models as his own too. Even if it was just a hand plate, it still left a bitter taste in my mouth and reassured me that not sharing my models is the right way to go.

The point I was trying to make is that if the law does work like Perceptor says, it means that nobody will ever have any protection, as anyone would be able to make the same claim that their version is just their artistic interpretation. It would basically be a catch 22 sort of deal. The only time it could work, and most likely does, is for original work, which as far as I know most of dungbeetle's peps aren't. Great models, yes. Original work, no.

IP banning sounds good, but it isn't always that easy. A lot of IP adresses are dynamic, which means that they aren't specific to one computer. There are also a lot of ways to hide your IP adress too.

Hopefully, admins that will realize that the forum needs defined rules. Right now the forum is a giant sandbox and any moderating done on the forum is arbitrary, which in my eyes isn't a very good way to attract serious people.

Even though people have IP protection, its more than the "standard" knowledge a jerkass who tries to claim other peoples work have. I monitered my own forum a while ago, and I could with a simple mouseclick IP ban a member, and I mean also that you should delete the account instantly, hopefully that will scare some of them away.

You could use a dynamic IP, or have a paid service, or simply join the Thor program to hide your IP. But I think that seems to be quite a hassle just to claim someones model work, if you been banned before for it. Rumor will spread all over the forum, and everyone will at the end realise it was (just as an example!) Dungbeetles file that is copied all the time, and recognise it whenever someone tries.

I totally agree with you, we need more defined rules. We should recruit more Moderators, it seems that here you are "chosen" if you should become a Moderator, your dont have the chance to make an apply, or atleast it wont matter in the long run.

//Tahu

Tahu said:
Even though people have IP protection, its more than the "standard" knowledge a jerkass who tries to claim other peoples work have. I monitered my own forum a while ago, and I could with a simple mouseclick IP ban a member, and I mean also that you should delete the account instantly, hopefully that will scare some of them away.

You could use a dynamic IP, or have a paid service, or simply join the Thor program to hide your IP. But I think that seems to be quite a hassle just to claim someones model work, if you been banned before for it. Rumor will spread all over the forum, and everyone will at the end realise it was (just as an example!) Dungbeetles file that is copied all the time, and recognise it whenever someone tries.

I totally agree with you, we need more defined rules. We should recruit more Moderators, it seems that here you are "chosen" if you should become a Moderator, your dont have the chance to make an apply, or atleast it wont matter in the long run.

//Tahu

Having been a forum moderator myself I have seen people go through far more hassle for far less. Some people will go to great lengths in order to be jerks. You are absolutely right that not all of them would go through all that, but I would say that if they're not going through all that, the chances are high that they won't be coming back anyway if their account is simply suspended. As IP bans risk causing innocent people to not be able to access the forums, I say simple account suspensions would be sufficient as far as bans go. Of course the person behind the account should be outed like recasters are, but that's another matter.

Well it's a shame that we are loosing one of our best and most dedicated modelers, and it time to break out the pitchforks and torches, and lnych a few file stealing nub-A** 'MF's

Absolutely hate to hear this dung beetle. I know I used one of your pep files for the newer helmet you created and it was quite easy. You made it very easy for a newcomer to get started. Hate to see the few ungrateful spoil it for the rest of us. Good luck and boo to the thieves, they will get theirs eventually. Always comes back around! :angry

mc hammer time said:
I still think files should be available on a PM basis at least. I mean, those things were amazing dude. Look at all this support that you're losing by making this drastic move

Or atleast the password to locked Peps. This way you can control who has access to your files. I just started doing this today. and it works well.

im so sorry to hear this dungbeetle. whoever steals a someone's work and claims it as their own is a jerk.

sorry that this has happened to you. i hope that you will still continue to make the amazing models that youre famous for!

And finally, one more big thanks for the stormtrooper files!!!!

Sorry to hear about this brother....it's unfortunate when something like this happens. I hope you that you would reconsider, and look into doing some of the things mentioned here-in, but I completely understand if you don't. I know that whatever you decide is what you feel is best for you, and here is hoping that most people would understand and respect that decision. I know I sincerely appreciate everything that I saw you do here thus far, and I will continue to respect you for your work regardless of your decision. Thanks again!!

-Matt

yes i agree as well especialy on your green ranger helmut thanks to you i was able to get my favorite chariture and it was easy to build. thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back