Idea for the Classifieds (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrub

Jr Member
Coming from a different forum, I can see where things are a tad bit different. Some for the better, some... kind of iffy. One idea I thought up of involves the classifieds. Now, I'm a new member here, and from what I read this forum has went through a few recent changes, so I don't know how things were ran before. But, wouldn't it be better if the classifieds could be viewed by anyone? We can keep the post count requirements so that members with 100+ posts are allowed to post within the classifieds section, while members who do not meet the count requirement are not. This way, members who are not ranked as an infantryman can see what's on the market and contact the seller via PM, but still have to work their way up and establish their own reputation before they start selling what they have. This is just an idea. Opinions?

My honest opinion...

I personally hate that system. It opens the market up to re-casters far too easily, and when you are dealing with a new member, you may have no clue of the members status amongst the costuming community.

This may also cause a problem with a lot of E-mails/PM's from members who really do not have the money to buy due to them thinking everything costs pennies to make around here. I always find it annoying when I get an E-mail from a non-serious buyer who just wants to check the price. Its a waist of my time when I'm trying to scratch together some funds. I'm sure any member here who has done a run of their mold(s) would agree with me on this one.

Re-caster prevention is always top priority with me. If I don't like the content of the potential buyers topics on the forums, don't believe they are a trustworthy, contributing member, and may be a possible re-caster, I don't even bother sending an E-mail/replying to their E-mail. With the other Classifieds section system on other forums, you might as well throw that prevention plan right out the window…

That’s just my 2 cents,

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

That's a valid point, I honestly had no idea recasting was really a threat among the 405th. But then again, I guess if you can make a mold of it, it can be recasted. Thank you for your input, Jake.

i agree with your point scrub, they should be able to at least view it, if not post in it.
so they can get an idead as to how its ran

To expand somewhat on what Jake posted (and add my own spin), the limited access to the classifieds is an intentional design, not an accidental oversight. Very few people are in this hobby to make money and most are very selective about the people they are willing to sell their pieces to. Recasting is a major problem, however so are people claiming credit for work that isn't theirs and new members who seem excited at first, purchase a few pieces, lose interest, and then liquidate everything on Ebay.

It also cuts down on wasted time - this tends to be a very "young" forum and quite frankly, some new members simply may not have the financial resources to purchase most of the items that are listed. This is not an inexpensive hobby and hopefully by the time a member has spent enough time to allow access to the classifieds, they have a better understanding of what some of these pieces go for.

Many artists go so far as to request that buyers notify them before they re-sell an item, simply so they can keep track of where they end up. This is a courtesy that when extended, is much appreciated. By restricting the classified to established members, it helps (at least a bit) screen out those that are either looking for product to recast or who really aren't serious about this hobby. Your posting history provides a record of how you interact with people and to some extent, your personality that sellers can research before offering something.

Personally, I don't care how much money you offer, if I don't know you or at least have a comfort level with you, I won't sell you one of my pieces.

Lastly - it's a "privilege", not a "right" and thus needs to be earned. If you are serious about this hobby and the 405th, then your activity level should be a non-issue anyway.

Everyone gets an opinion and that's mine... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is recasting making a mould of something you bought to sell it again and that last thing I said?,
that must be it.

what exactly is recasting, is that making a mould of something so you can sell as many as you can mould?
Here's a friendly heads-up for you: resurrecting a long-dead thread (older than 1 month) and double-posting is frowned upon around here, as listed below:

Common Problems: Instead of a formal warning the following offenses may grant you a friendly warning from the mod or staff either via PM or in the involved thread itself. All of these things may be altered or removed without notification from a staff member or moderator. Continued repeat of these offenses may have your posting privileges removed for a time.

-For Sale/Trade/Auction Threads [NOT ALLOWED]

-Indecision Threads

-Attention Threads or Posts

-Oversized Signatures

-Spam Posts

-WIP Threads without Progress Pictures

-Necro-Posts <--------------- what you did

-Multiple Simultaneous or Consecutive Posts <----------- what you did
Read more about the rules here.

As for your question, recasting is making armor pieces from an unauthorized mold of another person's work for the purpose of selling them for profit. This offense will make you an instant persona non-grata among the 405th members, not to mention, enough to get you banned permanently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back