If We Wanted To Improve The 405Th Forums...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an opinion. If you don't want to hear it, don't ask for it or don't read it- you have options.

Personally, I'm tired of the flood of 14-year-olds. Anyone else interested in a 405th-for-grownups?

dconkid said:
It's an opinion. If you don't want to hear it, don't ask for it or don't read it- you have options.

Personally, I'm tired of the flood of 14-year-olds. Anyone else interested in a 405th-for-grownups?

Not trying to flame, but...

Your name is "dconkid" and you haven't provided any information about yourself in your profile, so what says that you aren't fourteen yourself? It's not that hard to lie about your age, trust me, I've done it.

Segregating the older and younger sections of the forum would be quite stupid. Young people have good ideas as well, and sometimes the older group spams just as much as the younger group. Age has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
bevbor said:
Meeeeeeee... Maybe paid membership??

I don't agree but, if that were to actually take into play, levels of membership, a bit like Xbox Live.

dconkid, what do you mean immature staff? You've only had 20 posts and what not, so how would you have dealt with them before firstly..

Anyways, let's try to stay on track.

Sithslayer78 said:
Hello. I know, :) the first thing you looked at after reading hello was my post count and forum status. You obviously saw that despite having "Veteran" under my name, i am (And fully admit) that I am a newb.

Same here, I have over 200 posts but I still don't have a piece pepped.

xalener said:
Change the theme back to what it was before this one.

It's not actually a theme change it was an entire software forums upgrade from IP.Board 2 to IP.Board 3

To my knowledge, there's no downgrade option: http://www.invisionpower.com/products/board/

I do however prefer the grey/black theme of IP.Board 2 although this new one is technically more suited to our color scheme.

Cheers,

Kensai

I think you should make a system where new members could post only 1-3 topics/posts per day.

So that the new members would learn how to edit their previous threads and wouldnt double post too often...

in my opinion i think the search function should be improved. i have done a lot of searching over the few months ive been here i was searching for an ar a while ago and i got every topic with the word ar in it. ii also think the forums need to be cleaned up and the sticky's put in one place so we dont have to go searching all over to find them

We can significantly reduce number of threads in such easy way:

1. Make blogs available

2. Automatically assign new blog to each new user

3. Change the rules such way:

- Any personal progress must be published only in personal blog

- Forums are only for discussions, questions, community wide publishing, development, ets.

What do you think, will it work?

bevbor said:
We can significantly reduce number of threads in such easy way:

1. Make blogs available

2. Automatically assign new blog to each new user

3. Change the rules such way:

- Any personal progress must be published only in personal blog

- Forums are only for discussions, questions, community wide publishing, development, ets.

What do you think, will it work?

This.

Caboos318 said:

I don't necessarily agree. I think the forums are OK for posting WIP topics, it has them grouped by method of creation. That, though, I think needs to be reorganized.

-Create a single forum for tutorials as many people have said.

-I have seen a board that has a specific forum just for Q & A. A member post a question there, and other members can answer. The topic is then closed once a sufficient answer has been given, usually after 5-10 posts. This way, repeat questions are kept out of the main creation forums and cut down on the excess topics.

-Mandate that topic titles be descriptive, as to whether it's a WIP or finished piece, what is being made, and by what method. Most people already do this, but we often get titles that give you no clue as to what the topic is about.

-Up the post count slightly for being able to post outside of the noob forum, and create another, even higher post limit for being able to see the classifieds.

someone mentioned it earlier that on a drop down tab you have to select a category and maybe even sub-category for what the thread is about and make it a required field for posting the thread. blogs for progress would make it way easier to keep track of a persons work individually instead of having to go through all their threads to check for updates.

As far as limiting the number of new topics/stickies/question topics goes:

It'd be nice if some of the tutorial sticky threads could be condensed into some sort of comprehensive downloadable pdf that would take the user through the process outlined in the tutorials step by step from project beginning to completion.

I don't have a lot of time at present but as a graphic designer, I'd be more than happy to assist with the compilation/creation of any such resources if the community decides that they would be worthwhile expenditures of effort. I know that the resources on this site have been invaluable to me as I'm getting started with this hobby and I'd love a chance to pay this community back for all the help you guys have provided.

Kazyole said:
As far as limiting the number of new topics/stickies/question topics goes:

It'd be nice if some of the tutorial sticky threads could be condensed into some sort of comprehensive downloadable pdf that would take the user through the process outlined in the tutorials step by step from project beginning to completion.

I don't have a lot of time at present but as a graphic designer, I'd be more than happy to assist with the compilation/creation of any such resources if the community decides that they would be worthwhile expenditures of effort. I know that the resources on this site have been invaluable to me as I'm getting started with this hobby and I'd love a chance to pay this community back for all the help you guys have provided.

Problem is, if people are already too lazy to read through the stickies, they'll either not download/read it or cite fear of viruses as an excuse to not read it.

kensai111 said:
It's not actually a theme change it was an entire software forums upgrade from IP.Board 2 to IP.Board 3

To my knowledge, there's no downgrade option: http://www.invisionpower.com/products/board/

I do however prefer the grey/black theme of IP.Board 2 although this new one is technically more suited to our color scheme.

Cheers,

Kensai

If anybody really wants the old theme, I'd be more than happy to make it compatible with IP.Board 3, should only really take a couple of hours actually. And if you're worried about color scheme, I could make a theme for the main site that matches. That is of course, if it is wanted by You/Adam/Whoever else matters.

dconkid said:

405th for grownups?

I've found that while a lot of the members on here who actually accomplish something are adults, there are a few teenagers who do come up with something wonderful, despite their lack of money and experience. Many of the people on here have learned a lot from teenagers. Take Xtremetactis scaling tutorial for example. I know for a fact that every single person who makes pep armor has used his tutorial at one time or another, even though it was written by someone who's only 15.

Potshot said:
... I know for a fact that every single person who makes pep armor has used his tutorial at one time or another...

I wouldn't say that statement is entirely true, nothing against Xtremetactics or anyone else that's created scaling methods but I've only ever used my own methods/common sense and rarely have problems with scale. Regardless your point still stands, we've got numerous mature younger members here and we've had/have numerous immature older members so having an age limit isn't going to help in this case.

I've already made my suggestions elsewhere but the few changes I think we should make would be a Tutorials forum (as others have also suggested)that contains condensed and upgraded versions of the stickies we've got already. Also I think we should dump the noob section altogether and just have creation stuff in creation sections, probably a Q&A section for all the questions so we don't clutter up the rest of the place (as has also been suggested I think). I would also move the General discussion and Halo Universe sections to an Off Topic subsection that is only available to Veterans (or maybe another rank) much like the RPF has, that way we might portray a more professional image to lurkers and new members and focus more on the actual creative stuff... we are a prop and costuming group after all ;) There's other stuff too but I'm not going to repeat more of whats been said already...

@Belakor Here here! Couldn't have said it better myself. I agree on all points. We're definitely attracting big names a whole lot more frequent than the average user is aware. You guys have no idea how many times Bungie employees, Microsoft employees, etc are lurking through here. I know of a few that visit often. I'm all for cleaning up - "Keep It Clean!!"

Cheers,

Kensai

I think we should "encourage" more Halo WIPs. I have nothing against Iron Mans, Stormtrooper and everything, but as this is a "Costuming Community of the Halo Universe" and not a "General Costuming forum", I think at least, non-halo costumes/props should be in a different forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back