Intricate Detailing On Aluminum Sheet Metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

haloed

Well I would like to make an assassins creed vambrace out of metal I made one using the foam armor tut for halloween but I want to make real ones for say cosplay. I dont know how I would add details could someone help me?

BTW here is the armored Vambrace made out of foam....
DSC01138.jpg

PS:can you tell who I was for halloween yet?

haloed said:
Well I would like to make an assassins creed vambrace out of metal I made one using the foam armor tut for halloween but I want to make real ones for say cosplay. I dont know how I would add details could someone help me?

BTW here is the armored Vambrace made out of foam....
DSC01138.jpg

PS:can you tell who I was for halloween yet?

Well, the way I do it is....I have a stump and it has several different shaped grooves cut into it ( V shape, half round, shallow square, you get the idea) and you take the sheet of aluminum, trace the design you want on the back side, then with a dulled and rounded off chisel you place the metal over the approriate groove and beat it to the depth you want.

Or you can reverse the process:

Fluting tut

Last edited by a moderator:
Evil Taylor said:
Well, the way I do it is....I have a stump and it has several different shaped grooves cut into it ( V shape, half round, shallow square, you get the idea) and you take the sheet of aluminum, trace the design you want on the back side, then with a dulled and rounded off chisel you place the metal over the approriate groove and beat it to the depth you want.

Should I soften it? because Aluminum is kinda hard...
and since your method is kinda like engraving I probably need to cut a slightly larger piece right?

haloed said:
Should I soften it? because Aluminum is kinda hard...
and since your method is kinda like engraving I probably need to cut a slightly larger piece right?

Its not really engraving. You dont have to heat it aluminum is actually kind of soft. This technique is used for Cold-rolled mild steel, certainly harder then aluminum. Now as for a larger piece, no not really what you will be basically doing is stretching the metal and annealing it shrinkage is basically non existant.

Evil Taylor said:
Its not really engraving. You dont have to heat it aluminum is actually kind of soft. This technique is used for Cold-rolled mild steel, certainly harder then aluminum. Now as for a larger piece, no not really what you will be basically doing is stretching the metal and annealing it shrinkage is basically non existant.

hmm.. aluminum is hard to cut but not indent I guess, and I figured it might shrink the deeper it is but now that I remember, the aluminum I work with does kinda stretch when we bend it.

actually, aluminum sheet at around 20-22 gauge is very soft believe it or not. If you really want to roll professional with it, get a wheelbarrow tire and a cast iron bowl. Fill the bowl with rosin and then buy a dapping set and use the dapping punches to chase & repousse the designs into the plates. It will take a fair bit of time as you will need to continuously soften the pitch (rosin) in order to keep the piece workable.

BFDesigns said:
actually, aluminum sheet at around 20-22 gauge is very soft believe it or not. If you really want to roll professional with it, get a wheelbarrow tire and a cast iron bowl. Fill the bowl with rosin and then buy a dapping set and use the dapping punches to chase & repousse the designs into the plates. It will take a fair bit of time as you will need to continuously soften the pitch (rosin) in order to keep the piece workable.

So whats the tire for? put the cast iron bowl into it?

Evil Taylor said:
Or you can reverse the process:

Fluting tut
Sorry for double post but I didn't realize you edited.
This could work.. my grandfather is a blacksmith, and one of his SWABA buddy's is an armorer. maybe he can help.

BTW: does altair wear chain mail under his clothes??

haloed said:
Sorry for double post but I didn't realize you edited.
This could work.. my grandfather is a blacksmith, and one of his SWABA buddy's is an armorer. maybe he can help.

BTW: does altair wear chain mail under his clothes??

Nah I doubt it...he's too awesome and too good at killing guards to need it! Swords don't get close enough to him to even scratch him lmao! :lol: And I dont think he'd be able to freerun with chainmail on, that stuff is damn heavy ;]

xxFemaleSpartanxx said:
Nah I doubt it...he's too awesome and too good at killing guards to need it! Swords don't get close enough to him to even scratch him lmao! :lol: And I dont think he'd be able to freerun with chainmail on, that stuff is damn heavy ;]

yeah I think your right, my friend suggested that to me so it made me wonder.., but now that I think of it chain mail would make lots of noise when moving it, and altair doesn't go "ching" when he walks. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back