Iron Man Files High And Medium Def.

Status
Not open for further replies.
montee916 said:
Well for what its worth Ive started to cut and fold it myself, so hopefully will have some photos of the build as I go for you guys to look at. Another thing to bear in mind is that none of the tabs are labelled with numbers to indicate how they go together.

With that said though, from what Ive seen on my screen it looks promising. It's a great unfold, especially for a first attempt, and is a lot better than any of my efforts thats for sure. :rolleyes

You can turn edge ID on so the flaps have the numbers on them:

2DPatternWindow - Show Edge ID

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll let you guys know how it goes... I should be done within a couple days what with school and everything.

So far it seems to match up with my leg and the rest of the armor. Would post some pics but I just finished watching LOST :D :D And its late :p

---Stonewall

P.S. I'm LOST!

Hi guys sorry I've not commented much lately on this thread I've just been busy with work and R.L.

Ok I need some one to clarify what is wrong with the HD model..what parts and what the heck is a reversed normal.

I have tried to ask other 3d modelers in private but I guess they are not willing to share the big secret or willing to assist us in anyway. Wich is a shame since they are also part of the 405th and I thought thats what we all do here is help each other.

I'm almost finished building my Iron Man helmets and I'm about to start building the suit.

I wont bother asking what size I should start building it at based on my height as I've asked this question countless times and never had a responce.

Infact to be honest I'm thinking of leaving the 405th its not the same as it used to be. Seems like people with the knowledge dont want to share it. EVEN IF YOU HAVE JUST GONE OUT OF YOUR WAY AND TRIED TO ASSIST THEM!!!!

Whaaaaa..... You didn't ask me. Come on, don't leave. It'll be ok. But, you gotta do what ya gotta do. Hit me up with your questions and I'll see if I can help.

if you have heard the term UV mapping, you know it is the process of placing a flat picture around a non-flat object. UV mapping gets its name from the U direction and the V direction that make up NURBS. NURBS are just a type of surface used in modeling. The U and V direction is generally at opposing, but not opposite directions. In measuring these U and V (UV) directions or in other words Mapping the U and V (UV) directions or in other words UV mapping we know what part of a flat plane corresponds to what part of a model, however complex the twist and turns are.

Now.

When you start talking about polygons and such, you get talking about normals. Just like in UV mapping, there is something called normal mapping. For now, don't think of a normal as being well..... normal, think of it as just a name to describe this 'thing' that we are talking about. A normal is a direction that is always perpendicular to a plane, or perpendicular to a point on curved surface. There is an up side normal and a downside normal, or in other words a normal and a reveres normal. What we mean when we say there are revered normals is that a section of the geometry is facing the wrong way, what you see as the 'Outside' of the object is in all actuality the inside....according the the way the normals are facing. There does not have to be any physical bends in the model for the surfaces normals to flip backwards. This is usually the product of improper extruding, or merging two pieces of geometry together with different normal directions.

The problem is a normal doest have to just be linked to a particular polygon, or series of polygons, a normal reversal can be because of an edge or series of edges, and can be a pain to sort out after the fact. If you read back to where I said that pepakura reads those faces as inside out....because they are, now you know why, because the normal is telling what way that face is sapose to be facing.

As far as what aspects of the mesh are good or bad, I can't say. I havnt spent enough time looking at that due to schoolwork.

You defiantly should not leave, but if it helps at all I didn't get any email, so I hope you weren't under the impression that I did?

P.S. I will try to help you with modeling questions if you have any. I am sorry that I am unable to provide physical modeling assistnce, due to my schedule, but thats why I released my mesh, so others can take it and work with what we have as a comunity to make something grand.

hey carnage

sorry to hear about whats all happening thats the problem with this generation they want it now an is all about them. I find it impossible to teach/lead this generation no one is looking to help others only there self

to fix your normals try the link (http://www.recipester.org/Recipe:Flip_normals_in_3ds_MAx_35682020) i noticed you used max i google a quick tutorial on how to fix your problem

I dont know if that will work i am not a max user but that is how i would have done it in blender.

I find that when pep is building an object it fallows the normals (which way the polygon is facing) an if the the object has a reversed normal (polygon facing the opposite way) it will create a separate piece of the flipped faces.

Ill be glad to help i dont know if i could do something major (school work an other projects) but if its just odds an ends ill be happy to help. If trust is a problem hopefully you could trust an eagle scout

hope that helps

Hey everyone. I just wanted to say that if anybody needs any help with sizing issues please feel free to contact me. I want to help where i can.

Carnage - ive sent you a pm as far as your sizing issues. I can help you with the ab plates, cod, chest piece, and the legs and neck. Let me know if you need any help!!

Also, when i did the thighs on the armor, it seemed to fit me fine. Granted the size had to be stepped up considerably, but i do not believe the overall accuracy of the suit was lost. The thighs were just a little bigger than originally. Im exactly 6 feet tall, and have a pretty average build, so if anyone needs anything as far as sizing help. Please let me know. Ill do whatever i can to make sure everyones suit comes out like it needs to. I have not finished my forearms, still messing with the sizing on that, but id gladly be the guinea pig in the sizing department to be able to help everyone out for giving me another chance.

Hey carnage

In regards to the scale:

As you already know there is no absolute formula for height and scale for this model and there simply can't be.

That's what size testers were for. One scale for your height won't work for every piece and you already know this. I think its unfair to blame the 405th for lack of assistance. People could be busy as you stated you are as well.

You should use the size testers (Low def). Since everyone has different proportions. One scale for your height will not work for every other part. I stated this in Timecon's thread too since I have some experience with them.

So asking for scale for your height was too general of a question and that's probably why you had no response due to no one knowing honestly knowing the answer opposed to thinking they were purposely ignoring you.

Everyone is here always offering to help and you know that.

Carnage if it was anything I did I am really sorry. I just don't have the time to work on this right now between school and my other 3d projects. I really hope you decide to stay here at the 405th cause we could really use you.

carnage said:
Hi guys sorry I've not commented much lately on this thread I've just been busy with work and R.L.

Ok I need some one to clarify what is wrong with the HD model..what parts and what the heck is a reversed normal.

I have tried to ask other 3d modelers in private but I guess they are not willing to share the big secret or willing to assist us in anyway. Wich is a shame since they are also part of the 405th and I thought thats what we all do here is help each other.

I'm almost finished building my Iron Man helmets and I'm about to start building the suit.

I wont bother asking what size I should start building it at based on my height as I've asked this question countless times and never had a responce.

Infact to be honest I'm thinking of leaving the 405th its not the same as it used to be. Seems like people with the knowledge dont want to share it. EVEN IF YOU HAVE JUST GONE OUT OF YOUR WAY AND TRIED TO ASSIST THEM!!!!

Seems like a lot of people from other forums are starting to join this site(I would know cuz I recoginze peoples projects on other forums), so that is probably the reason why its feels different. Probably to be reknowned around the web. They dont focus on shareing, only popularity. The fact of the matter is that not everyone is gonna share,or is gonna be trustworthy. I had to learn that the hard way. So dont leave; you will probably have the same problems in other forums. Like agbates said 405th could really use you.

daShredDude said:
You can turn edge ID on so the flaps have the numbers on them:

2DPatternWindow - Show Edge ID

D'oh! Welcome to tonight's round of Spot The Noob, starring.... Me! :lol

I'm so used to having them there I thought it was done automatically, and didn't realise it was a feature you could turn on and off. Ah well, if nothing else it makes the build more entertaining.

Starx said:
Also, when i did the thighs on the armor, it seemed to fit me fine. Granted the size had to be stepped up considerably, but i do not believe the overall accuracy of the suit was lost. The thighs were just a little bigger than originally. Im exactly 6 feet tall, and have a pretty average build, so if anyone needs anything as far as sizing help. Please let me know. Ill do whatever i can to make sure everyones suit comes out like it needs to. I have not finished my forearms, still messing with the sizing on that, but id gladly be the guinea pig in the sizing department to be able to help everyone out for giving me another chance.

When you say a little bigger, did you scale them larger because of the width or the height. I know Timecon had issues saying that you would need "chicken legs" for them to work. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your peps.

llinformerll said:
Seems like a lot of people from other forums are starting to join this site(I would know cuz I recoginze peoples projects on other forums), so that is probably the reason why its feels different. Probably to be reknowned around the web. They dont focus on shareing, only popularity. The fact of the matter is that not everyone is gonna share,or is gonna be trustworthy. I had to learn that the hard way. So dont leave; you will probably have the same problems in other forums. Like agbates said 405th could really use you.

when i started i joined several sites, and i have come to believe that this is one of the better ones. Not saying anything against those sites but it seams better here.

I graduate in three months, so all of my time has been devoted to my senior show. After then i would be more than willing to help. I did modeling in lightwave for three years while in school, and I have been teaching myself for the past 5 years on how to do props and special effects for theater, i hope to be able to be an asset to the forum in the future.

and again, i must commend everyone's work on these files. only in a community like this can you get this much cooperation.

wolfshui said:
when i started i joined several sites, and i have come to believe that this is one of the better ones. Not saying anything against those sites but it seams better here.

I graduate in three months, so all of my time has been devoted to my senior show. After then i would be more than willing to help. I did modeling in lightwave for three years while in school, and I have been teaching myself for the past 5 years on how to do props and special effects for theater, i hope to be able to be an asset to the forum in the future.

and again, i must commend everyone's work on these files. only in a community like this can you get this much cooperation.

Same here I have been sooooo busy getting ready for graduation and trying to make sure I am ready for college that I have had so little time to do anything. I know I've said it over and over but I feel really bad I haven't been able to help you.

carnage said:
Well guys and gals the moment is here I've done all I can with the HD CHEST

Remember I said I'm no 3d modeller and I'm not I just had a go ..I have no real idea what I'm doing and this has been the momma of steep learning curve.

I may have deleted 1 or 2 tiny faces on the model but nothing that can not be fixed easily.

I had a go at the honey comb shapes in the under armour and tried to make them as a floating surface as it was suggested if how ever you would like the honey combs in 3d please say and I'll upload them seperately.

I have also lowered the file size but its still pretty large so its going to slow your pepakura programme down.

But dont worry I've seperated all the pieces (and yes there is alot)..So just go into the 3d menu and select show object list ..in there you can either hide or delete each piece.

I have not added any support struts to this yet as I think I've done my fare share on this. So I'm uploading it as an .obj file so Struts can be added.

When you see how many pieces there is you will understand whats taken me so long.

On another note I read in Timecons thread that he was having trouble sizing this to fit. Well I think agbates is on the case as he said he was going to remodel it in places.

Agbates if you do read this can you please check out Timecons Iron Man Thread.

Here's a pic of the Model ...and I'll upload it to page 1

Untitled.jpg

Quick update I'd like to thank everone for thier help so far.

I have tried to update page as best I can with the links I've just gone through the latest batch of unfolds and added them to page 1 if I have missed anyones work out I can only apologise and please shout up if you spot any thing I have missed.

Also I have still not added in all the inner armour details yet because alot of the pieces overlap very badly...I can fix this but its going to take a while and I wanted to get the chest out to you all as quickly as I could.

Saying that as you all know Agbates is still working on this model and will no doubt do a better job than me but atleast my version can atleast get you started.

I'll start working on fixing the hand next.

Hi everyone!!!This is my update about HD CHEST...

I spend 7 hours unfolding th HD CHEST.. and my computer just couldn´t do it...and is not a crapy computer, I swear!!...Damn honey combs!!! BUT!! there was a Medium Def Chest... sooo...I unfold that one instead of the HD.... And just took me 2 hours...

I´m not sure if the width configuration and the deep configuration are ok...i mean...It´s supposed to be 420 mm Width and 385 mm Deep.....not 385 mm widht and 420 deep... I found some others files that the objetc was facing to the right..so deep was width and viceversa...

Ok...so tell me what U think!!

Hope U like it!

http://www.4shared.com/file/215265324/a6ca1bf4/Medium_Detail_Torso_Fixed_By_J.html

NOTE:bolts on the back are missing...

This file shows edge ID!! ;)

It goes by the front...back, ribbs, flaps, neck ring and details...

carnage said:

Dude!! I thnk that they are some pieces of the siut that are not based on the Height, for example the chest...that one U have to base on ur Widht.. same for the Abplates and the Cod piece.

Hope this work!

thanks alot bollomonkey! It looks excellent! I'm curious on how far you got in unfolding the HD chest? I agree about the freezing computer. I have a decently fast computer , and just opening that file is causing near complete massive stand still!! I'm going to have to start working on that chest because it looks excellent!

jdawg224 said:
thanks alot bollomonkey! It looks excellent! I'm curious on how far you got in unfolding the HD chest? I agree about the freezing computer. I have a decently fast computer , and just opening that file is causing near complete massive stand still!! I'm going to have to start working on that chest because it looks excellent!

I Did almost all front part... same shape I did with the MD chest... but still missing putting together all the pieces to fit on the pages...

First I work with the 3D image and separate it,and then I accommodate the pieces to fit the page format..

Actually I´m looking at the file and i forgot to add some extra flaps in areas that doesn´t have...like the ribs...and some other places... :S

Upload file tomorrow!!!!

can the chest be split up in to a front and back then? it would ease the workload for the comp, and still be usefull.

I went ahead and put together the lower leg unfolded by bollowmonkey. It will only fit if you have skinny legs. I have chicken legs, and even so, it was a pretty tight fit. so keep this in mind when constructing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back