Iron Man Helmet Mechanism?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebostar

Jr Member
I was just looking at my helmet and wondering how to do the mech for the face plate, the few that have this up and running don't seem to want to share the inner workings of their helmet. I think this is bad form, as you should give and take in a communities like this. I wouldn't be doing an Iron man suit if it wasn't for Db's helmet and Df's suit, the least I can do is give credit to them and their excellent models and give advise to others who are just starting on them. Some people forget things like this and hoard their ideas , share with a select few, then willy wave at you, an outsider when you ask how it was done... This has turn into a little rant so i'll snip it there.

Anyway, I think I have an idea.

A pc cd drive, the movement of it is just perfect!!.

I have a few out in the garage that I am going to cannibalize this weekend, it's too cold to do it at the moment as it's -6C out there,brrrrrrrr.

It has everything, ideal amount of travel, limit switch, open/close button, tracks, motor.

It will just be a case of removing any redundant bits but still have it function, then mod it for use.

The movement of the face plate in my mind pushes away first then slides back, hows it going to work?.

Care to share?.

I think a CD drive is thinking in the right direction, but may not work. CD drives don't just move in and out, they have a bunch of levers and mechanisms that "unlock" the tray, move the spindle down, and perform other functions.

There was a post that I gave a handful of ideas on this subject to, about 2 weeks ago. I'll see if I can find it.

The best idea was probably a tiny servo, from R/C models.

EDIT: Here's the post - http://405th.com/forums/index.php?s...&hl=linear actuator&fromsearch=1&#entry376204

Awesomeness said:
I think a CD drive is thinking in the right direction, but may not work. CD drives don't just move in and out, they have a bunch of levers and mechanisms that "unlock" the tray, move the spindle down, and perform other functions.

There was a post that I gave a handful of ideas on this subject to, about 2 weeks ago. I'll see if I can find it.

The best idea was probably a tiny servo, from R/C models.

I know that is the better idea, but unless you are electronically minded (I am not) you need to be baby stepped with stuff like that. Buy this and that control it with this and but it together like this sort of thing.

You also have to remember that most on here are on pocket money budgets, so whatever method comes up would have to be relatively inexpensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
servos are your best best rebostar.

I'm just waiting for mine in the mail.

I should have something to show the forums in a couple of weeks

just don't forget to consider the weight of the faceplate, because if you load it heavy, the CD Drive might stuck up...or maybe not....

goodluck...

Rebostar said:
You also have to remember that most on here are on pocket money budgets, so whatever method comes up would have to be relatively inexpensive.

I know, but the people that already made them probably were not on a tight budget.

If you're short on money, don't make it electric at all. Use a bicycle brake cable, and hide a [gear-shift] lever somewhere on your armor. Spring load the visor so that it closes automatically, then just push the lever to pull it up, and let go to bring it down. You'll be done in $10. :D

SupermanExtreme1 said:
servos are your best best rebostar.

I'm just waiting for mine in the mail.

I should have something to show the forums in a couple of weeks

Yes! Keep us updated... I'm not electronically minded either.

One forum I belonged to a million years ago had a conversation about moving the blades of a predator arm armour in and out at the high speed that the movie shows... what was ultimately used was an automotive power door lock actuator. It is fast and durable http://auto.howstuffworks.com/power-door-lock3.htm

~$20 bucks new or almost nothing at a junk yard... not much power needed... just a thought...

I would that that i would be simpler to use a simple small DC motor and connect a tactile switch to it in order to manually control the raising of the helmets faceplate(It would probably be cheaper that using a servo although a servo would be better and it would be easier to control)

Those hinges won't give the movement I want, the mask pushes open a little then it slides back.

I think to get that motion it will have to be a servo setup. I know what is roughly needed, but I just don't understand how you limit the amount of travel and then the stop and return point of the servo using a controller. What we really need is someone who knows how all that stuff works to join the forum. I might try and hunt out an animatronic forum and pick their brains on it.

Ive been tryin to figure this out to, and asked around the forum. Seems like the people who have it are bieng pretty selfish. I asked Black Tony Stark what he used for his eyes like a week ago and ignored me and put up an update. Isnt he and MasterLe like buds?

llinformerll said:
Ive been tryin to figure this out to, and asked around the forum. Seems like the people who have it are bieng pretty selfish. I asked Black Tony Stark what he used for his eyes like a week ago and ignored me and put up an update. Isnt he and MasterLe like buds?

Well we can't have loads of motorised ironmen running round stealing any limelight now can we?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back