Iron Man Helmets - Mark 3 and Mark 42

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hinges that we have right now would only work manually, so we have to do some tweaking to get it ready for motorized movement.

Thats what i was guessing with those hinges just didnt know if you had planned on it for the future....great build though. Nice trick with the Yugi-oh card too.

Not a whole lot of work done. Just fiberglassing, filling and sanding. But it's coming together nicely.

IMG_0147_zpsabbe7aa9.jpg

Well, with school and work, I haven't been able to do a whole lot on the helmet, but here are some minor updates:

The helmet now has the correct curvature on the top, but there is still more filling to do in the back.
IMG_0179_zps12026193.jpg

The cardboard was peeling away on the edges, so I filed it down. It just needs to be filled and sanded
IMG_0176_zps30ecd5a3.jpg

I was afraid this part would turn out badly, but it's way better than I thought it would be! Still some more sanding to be done.
IMG_0177_zpsc9696b86.jpg

The bottom part of the rear has some damage when it was hot glued and clamped to the MDF, but a little filler will fix that
IMG_0181_zpsc23505d8.jpg

The support panel was cut away and more fiberglass was added in
IMG_0180_zps8548e1cd.jpg

It's a little snug, but it fits!
IMG_0174_zps37a15093.jpg

Just some pictures
IMG_0183_zps04f89548.jpg

IMG_0182_zps3fc0a62e.jpg

Give me some feedback, guys!

for a bastard child of foam and bondo, this is really turning out quite awesome. perhaps i missed it skimming through the thread, but do you plan on completing the full set?

Love it! This is gonna turn out great!

I hope it will!

Awesome looking helmet you have going here. +1 Sub.

Thank you!

for a bastard child of foam and bondo, this is really turning out quite awesome. perhaps i missed it skimming through the thread, but do you plan on completing the full set?

We have no plans for the entire suit. That would just be too much for us....

nice work man!!

Thanks!

Dang dude, that's amazing! Far better than my iron man helmet.

It just takes patience! If it doesn't look up to par, just start over again. It may be tedious, but you will get the best results when you've had plenty of practice.

Not a whole lot (since I don't have the self discipline to keep working on this!), but more work on the jaw:

Front looking pretty nice!
IMG_0193_zpseaa817a7.jpg

The groove came out pretty well, but notice the rough section. The entire cardboard for that side peeled away, so It had to filled in with Bondo. Just needs more sanding!
IMG_0194_zpsbe99183e.jpg

Waiting to be sanded:
IMG_0195_zpsa7ae3454.jpg

Anyone have any tips for adding on the groove on the chin?

Its late so may be missing something but what exactly do you want to do to the chin? Sure I got a way that can help, just not sure what it is you want to do haha! Like I said, very late :p

Its late so may be missing something but what exactly do you want to do to the chin? Sure I got a way that can help, just not sure what it is you want to do haha! Like I said, very late :p

There is just a small groove on the chin, and I was wondering a way to get it in there. A member over at the RPF already suggested using a small nail file, so I'll try that! As of now the jaw is about 85% complete:

IMG_0198_zpsbe2f1714.jpg

Applying more filler:

IMG_0224_zps26f26b8d.jpg

IMG_0225_zps08660571.jpg

Still some minor filling and sanding needed on the curve, but it's looking pretty good:

IMG_0226_zps1ae292a0.jpg

This is definitely a slow build. Some very minor (but very tedious) work was done. Foam is not the best choice when using Bondo. A lot of holes and chips were found, but were filled. There was a section of the middle rear where the resin did not fully cover the fiberglass matte, so that section was essentially just resin soaked paper. That was peeled away and filled in. It is looking good, but lots of little work!

IMG_0250_zpse64787ae.jpg

IMG_0254_zpsb4f30cf5.jpg

holy cow.... this is too awesome for me... I VOTE ELITE!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much!

Not a whole lot has happened really, but we are still pushing through!

Quick Iron Patriot helmet that was made for the midnight premier:

IMG_0447_zpsa844555d.jpg

Only a few small holes in this side. Still missing the cheek and the ear, but it's almost there:

IMG_0490_zps0e741b03.jpg

The back is looking a little bit ugly! Just need to take lots of time with a file to get that looking nice!

IMG_0491_zps941c5ecd.jpg

This side is looking bad, but still better than it was before. Just like on the left side, there are holes that came about in the paper where the resin didn't seep into all the way and the edge of the foam, but those all will be fixed.

IMG_0492_zps19c7d5f8.jpg

So the first actual good cast for the faceplate was done! It came out rather thin, so I just added some fiberglass and did another layer, and now it's super sturdy! I'm also really happy with how clean the eye holes turned out. Some more filling was done on the side due to the fact that Bondo hates EVA foam, the whole layer pretty much peeled off. I had the rest of it grinded away and added some more filler!

IMG_0565_zps4c6d5c64.jpg

IMG_0567_zps0d664d6f.jpg

Some big updates here!

As you can tell, we are very serious about the work we do:

IMG_0725.jpg

Like. a. sir. xD Sneriously though this thread is full of win. Your attention to detail is ace. Even the prototype you gave your buddy is boss. So looking at the early misfortunes I have to thank ya, hopefully creating our first 'Raptor' mothermould will go smoother lol. The root template will be foam as yours was. Anyway keep up the outstanding work!

Re: Iron Man Helmet

Is three and a half years too long to go without updating? Well this helmet was finished up about two years ago, but after a failed molding we kind of pushed it to the side. So Below is the rest of the build for this helmet, and also a start of the Mark 42/43 helmet!

Bonding the faceplate to the rest of the bucket.
IMG_1035_zps2bdbc3eb.jpg

Since the master was made out of foam, there was some warping that occurred on the cheek corner of the faceplate.
IMG_1038_zps706f4ea8.jpg

Fast-forward 6 months and here's the helmet today.
IMG_1479_zps2e18a280.jpg

Reconstructive-Surgery going quite well.
IMG_1476_zps7b851987.jpg

All the ugly holes and mass amounts of body filler depicted in previous posts have been taken care of.
IMG_1477_zps801b0c5b.jpg

3D Printed Ear with layer of primer and glazing putty. (Other one and MK 42 Handplate drying in background)
IMG_1478_zpsa42a194c.jpg

Sanded down and another layer of primer. Still an imperfection on the indent though.
IMG_1484_zpsc3069d5a.jpg

Can't even notice this part of the faceplate was entirely gone at one point. Also filled in the forehead piece, which leaves only a little cleanup work and then just to cut the groove out of the wall of the recession.
IMG_1585_zpscfb196cd.jpg

Gotta love that glazing putty
IMG_1760_zps881e654f.jpg

Sanded down
IMG_1761_zps19f212fd.jpg

Ready to be filed and have the ears added
IMG_1762_zps76934351.jpg

IMG_1769_zpsb077804e.jpg

IMG_1770_zps5e9d3743.jpg

Drilled in holes for screws
IMG_1815_zps6ce91c7a.jpg

All I did was superglue a small washer onto the head of a screw. Worked out great!
IMG_1816_zps7f58ac08.jpg

IMG_1818_zps76bfff4f.jpg

IMG_1824_zps7115b722.jpg

Ears attached
IMG_1828_zps81e947bf.jpg

So that's it for the Mark 3 build!

At this point, the rest of the thread will be for the Mark 42 Helmet. I'm trying something new with this build, where I'm documenting all of it with videos instead of pictures!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back