Ironman Mark V Foldable Foam Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well with halloween less than a week away I'm into powerdown mode to make the suit wearable at the very least. As such Idk if I'll be able to post updates more regularly, so I'm posting what I got now.

Since the last one I've managed to at least make the lower legs wearable, though they're cumulatively missing about twelve plates. With the knees wearable though, I can now at least get the thighs wearable:

jPwLXl.jpg

Well I'm really in the doghouse today, got spraypaint everywhere because the damn armor is hollow and all holey...gf is pissed at me so I gotta go clean it up with graffiti remover (and tips on that would be appreciated.)

That said, it is of course halloween, the pagan festival of mourning, or the gaelic festival of...well bloodshed i guess? So I had to post progress:

86% done (Wearable) Iron Jesus
xAgYpl.jpg

The progression of the shins
DwDdrl.jpg

and the thighs
O5tyhl.jpg

I have a lot more work to do obviously (the painjob needs to be touched up and redone in places, the shades are off) but this is good enough for halloween. And of course I'll be making a suitcase for it all.

First off, sorry to hear that you're in the doghouse. That sucks. . . I know. I got some splatter on a couple of things on the counter when I was doing stuff and didn't realize it before it was too late. :p Good luck with the graffiti remover. I don't know anything about it so I wouldn't be much help there.

Suit looks good though. Can't wait to see some pics with you wearing it all.

Heh heh. Glycerin soap and gasoline, both are rather effective at removing paints. You could try palmolive as well.

Sooooo the good news is the suit is wearable...the bad news is, the suit disintegrated when I tried walking around. It's a good thing, because it showed me a lot of weaknesses and places to fix in the suit (the thighs, for example, are positioned poorly and need better rigging) and hopefully I'll meet my 98% reference accurate goal by amazing arizona or phx comicon. For now though I'm gonna slow things down and really make sure that I get all the details right for the suit.

As to the spray paint, graffiti remover, a paint removing brush, some dish soap, and a shitload of water got rid of most of it. The patio is back to normal...Jade was pissed though, I don't think I'll ever be painting there again lol.

Sooooo the good news is the suit is wearable...the bad news is, the suit disintegrated when I tried walking around. It's a good thing, because it showed me a lot of weaknesses and places to fix in the suit (the thighs, for example, are positioned poorly and need better rigging) and hopefully I'll meet my 98% reference accurate goal by amazing arizona or phx comicon. For now though I'm gonna slow things down and really make sure that I get all the details right for the suit.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that man, but you'll get it back up in no time. :D

How'd the foam elbow joints hold up?

I'm considering a similiar method, with either resined pieces or foamies. The sad part is, even after staring at the pic for a few hours, I have absolutely no idea how the joint is supposed to retain it's original position after flexing.

The elbows worked great, I think the weakness of the knees is due to their comparative thinness coupled with the forces acting on them. In short I need a more solid pin for the knee joints, so I'm looking into alternatives.

Also, minor update, now that halloween has passed I'm going to continue working (hope none of yall thought I was giving up!). As a little hope giving excercise to myself I tried folding the chest part (which works properly) and what the hell, it works like a charm:
DctnVl.jpg

Unfortunately now work must begin on the legs.

The right one has some minor damage and will need tweaking.
d27T9l.jpg

But the left one is a bit...
T5YGZl.jpg

destroyed.
A2Lc0l.jpg

I'M BACK BABY!
xbHxZl.jpg

With some new stuff:
AqT8Ll.jpg

and I got some knees that shouldn't break this time
vtVEpl.jpg

And I rerigged the arms
is1xZl.jpg

And a new hand
vaHs3l.jpg

So I'm back on the job baby!

Sweet! Your armor looks great :D
I haven't seen anyone make this armor before and, yours is looking good :)
You should post a pic with you wearing the whole suit.

Today I had a Eureka moment. I was planning on using the glowing blue baseplate and the silver frontplate to assemble my new arc reactor, but I ran into the problem of LEDs. You see I was going to use the standard one piece mini metal 10 LED flashlights they sell for 10 bucks at target, but I couldn't get at the LEDs themselves without cutting through the metal casing...something I'm very uncomfortable with in my current home. However, I stumbled on an old headlamp of mine that had a removable lense cap. And using that, a hole punch, and some ingenuity, I've fashioned the Mark 5 RT V2.0!
UUa6urLl.jpg

That doesn't look like a Jericho Missile...

With external lighting
CzNrFujl.jpg

With just my camera flash
LYU7N5Vl.jpg

And installed in the chest plate
JbI1Pgk.jpg

Minor update!:

Installed the Chest RT temporarily, reworked the thigh attachments so that they're now more secure, and properly resized them. Also added elastic to the side plates, so I can pull them apart and reattach them without having to fumble around (basically it's one less thing to mess with in the armor at the cost of being a tight fit to put on)

So far, because the thighs are properly sized and set I've reattached them to the body
yor1NE2.jpg

this will allow me to work on the next bit: Ass plating.

such ingenuity! i wish i had the time for something like this. im doing my halo suit, and maybe one for the wife. then its on to iron man!! ive really wanted to start a helmet already, and looking at this just makes me want to do it that much more!!! must.. complete.. first job....

More progress. at this point, now that I have the thighs properly sized and positioned I can work on making my suit look less like a gay cowboy in assless chaps by making butt armor. So far I've got the plates done and pinned so they rotate, along with the center plate cut to size
R3jJvqll.jpg

Next step is rigging the plates all together with the center plate so they slide properly instead of folding in like they do now.

This is coming along great, when it's said and done and works as desired this is going to be about the coolest thing out there.

...I can work on making my suit look less like a gay cowboy in assless chaps...

You just had to make me start laughing in my cube. Fortunately nobody's in the office on Fridays so I don't have to explain... Nice work on the suit though, really liking what you've done so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back