Ironman Suit. Mk4. Pic heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayOneSeven

Jr Member
Progress:
Progress_zps04fa3b34.jpg

A short video explaining my preference for pep, how I do it and why!

Alright so this will eventually be the thread in which I post my Ironman build which I am currently pepping.
I'm making it now so I can later edit this page, but I had a very important question first!!
I'm looking for a recommended pep file for an Ironman helmet. I started with Sharkman VI pep, but, as politely as I can put it, it sucks. There are literally parts that make absolutely no sense, folds that do not correspond, and absurdly complicated points that, looking at the real helmet, simply aren't justified! The eye sockets are literally mind boggling.
I'm thinking that I'll go for the jtm ironman pdo, which I have, which looks remarkably simple and a breath of fresh air compared to the other. But does anyone have any suggestions? Any preference?
Of course keep in mind I wasn't expecting this to be easy, but I also wasn't expecting it to be impossible either ;)

Attachments

• Progress_zps04fa3b34.jpg
    Progress_zps04fa3b34.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 693
Last edited by a moderator:
I, too, tried that build but had to admit defeat. It will be interesting to see your progress. Consider thyself subbed.

What tolerance are you using with the Sharkmark helmet?

As far the eye parts are concerned, like the 'teeth' parts they can be left off the build and added later if required.

If you have your heart set on a movie Iron man, you could try the dubean33 "samuray easy iron man" helmet. It's easier than the Sharkmark helmet but slightly asymmetrical and I'm not sure which mark it represents.

And then there's always the non-movie armours, including the Extremis suit... Which is nice.

Extremis-armor.jpg

Attachments

• Extremis-armor.jpg
    Extremis-armor.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 327
Looking forward to seeing some pictures! Out of interest what would be the easiest build for a beginner?

What tolerance are you using with the Sharkmark helmet?

As far the eye parts are concerned, like the 'teeth' parts they can be left off the build and added later if required.

If you have your heart set on a movie Iron man, you could try the dubean33 "samuray easy iron man" helmet. It's easier than the Sharkmark helmet but slightly asymmetrical and I'm not sure which mark it represents.

And then there's always the non-movie armours, including the Extremis suit... Which is nice.

Extremis-armor.jpg

Although that image looks pretty badass, I'm sold on a movie build! I decided to roll with the jtm build, it looks much more simplistic in the pdo so I'll update here in a day or so with an update of how the pep is going :]

Attachments

• Extremis-armor.jpg
    Extremis-armor.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 347
Looking forward to seeing some pictures! Out of interest what would be the easiest build for a beginner?

I tried building a few Skyrim pieces, they seemed extremely easy. This is my first 'modern' piece though so I'll let you know once I make a bit more progress!

I decided to roll with the jtm build, it looks much more simplistic in the pdo so I'll update here in a day or so with an update of how the pep is going :]

The JTM helmet certainly has fewer parts than the Sharkmark helmet, but the 'ears' and forehead piece are a bit complex.

Still, the shape is nice.

Good luck.

So in typical fashion, I made the first build too big. I actually measured my scale and came up with one bigger than the stock settings, so i decided to go with the stock settings to check it, and it turned out being too big still.
At least now I have some frame of reference to go off, and I'll scale the next one accordingly :) too bad i had to get it almost completed before I realized this!! I'm using files in which the faceplate and 'body' of the helmet don't join at all, so you have to tape it into place temporarily for hardening I presume.
Ah well, onward and upward!

20131127_203056_zpsb7f15571.jpg

Attachments

• 20131127_203056_zpsb7f15571.jpg
    20131127_203056_zpsb7f15571.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 304
Sizing issues aside it's looking good.

I'll need to check out the jtm one when it comes time to looking at my helmet. Looks good.

Have you tried peping the "tester" helmets? There is one for the sharkman vi unfolded by dubean33. I was able to cut and glue it in 1 evening.

I haven't, no. I tried the Sharkman a while back but really disliked both the jaw pieces and the eyes. I'm currently working on the JTM but I'm having issues with scaling. I printed what I thought would be right, but instantly looked at it on paper and knew that it was wrong, without even building it. Way too small! I'm also wondering just exactly how much room to leave on the inside of the helmet for padding, wiring, lights, and the hydraulics to lift the face plate. So I'm in a bit of a stalemate right now with the build, and finals week is next week so I may be putting this off for a little while. I might actually start with a different piece of the build for now, say an arm piece or something just to get into the build :]

With the tester helmet you could put it on with foam padding for the purpose of fit only. The testers are low res and you could build it in no time at all.

I am in a build myself and decided on 200 mm width (ear tip to ear tip) I am going to fiber glass the inside tomorrow. I will not be able to check the fit again until after I bondo and cut the back out. Hopefully I got it right.

With the tester helmet you could put it on with foam padding for the purpose of fit only. The testers are low res and you could build it in no time at all.

I am in a build myself and decided on 200 mm width (ear tip to ear tip) I am going to fiber glass the inside tomorrow. I will not be able to check the fit again until after I bondo and cut the back out. Hopefully I got it right.

Yikes good luck man, that is terrifying! But awesome at the same time!!

Okay little update here.
Chest piece number 1 is pepped, back piece is well under way, scaling seems about right, I just worked with the width and everything else fell into place. Today I may try to make my duct tape dummy and get some of this set up onto it as I'm running out of room to keep it all!!
As I said earlier I'll probably be pepping the entire build, then hitting the whole thing with resin in the coming spring once the temp gets up enough to actually cure it. It's been below freezing here for almost a month consistently.
Probably going to start on my Arc Reactor a little after Christmas so keep stopping by :]

20131220_091243_zps8b365134.jpg

Attachments

• 20131220_091243_zps8b365134.jpg
    20131220_091243_zps8b365134.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 300
Today was Arc day, and dummy day!

20131223_085258_zpscb837d6d.jpg

Got the dummy complete, with a bit of assistance from the wife. Not easy to do!! Still needs a bit more stuffing packed into it.

20131223_171220_zpscfd1c94f.jpg

Attachments

• 20131223_085258_zpscb837d6d.jpg
    20131223_085258_zpscb837d6d.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 356
  • 20131223_171220_zpscfd1c94f.jpg
    20131223_171220_zpscfd1c94f.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 358
Oh yeah! That Arc Reactor is awesome! I love it when household items are used to make something as impressive as that! Also, (just because I have to say it!) your duct tape dummy seems to have a bit o' gansta lean goin' on! I probably shouldn't say anything though, I have yet to make mine, and it will probably look like a duck-billed platypus when I am done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back