Is it better to make a suit of armour then buy one in terms of value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussiepara117

Im new here so sorry if im not meant to post this here but I was wondering because my dad thinks it would be better to buy a suit, helmet or weapon because it will cost less but I havent seen any good ones so is it truly better to make one yourself and worth the cost??:confused

it only cost a few hundred dollars to make your own suit including most tools, buying suits will cost you thousands and also making your own is way more fun and you get a sense of accomplishment :D

Thanks for that the problem is I wont have that much money for weeks and I highly doubt that my parents would spend that much would you have an idea how much to just pep a helmet or does it only start to cost if you start resining it and bondo and all that??

well yes main cost is resin and bondo which most people do and it also depends on how much supplies you buy, cardstock is fairly cheap i bought a ream for $40 and resin and bondo for like 10 litre is like $60 ech but keep in mind im from australia and prices are ridiculous , i wish we had pirices like america should be way cheper in like wall-mart or something like that

If you cant tell from my name im from aus too thats a pain so does that mean it doesnt cost much or nothing at all to just pep?

sorry didn't read your name but pepping wont cost much cardstock is quite cheap, like a said a ream which is like what 400 or 500 sheets is like $40 and craft glue is like $5

Yeah i agree foam is way easier. Im from melbourne so i know your strife. I did half on my Spartan Reach armour out of foam (half because i stopped because of school). Its like $14 or something for 4 sheets at Bunnings. Stanley knife and a hot glue gun, your good to go! Its fairly easy just time consuming. The helmet is your mine pride and joy with any build. I suggest either buying a flat cast from someone (no paint or anything just straight plastic) and make it your own by sanding and adding to it. Thats if your not up to buying products to make one. I for one hate pepping. Its tedious and i rush it. I sculpt them now.

Hope i helped :)

It is definitely less of a financial burden to do the work yourself than it is to purchase one that is ready to wear. Now keep in mind, you don't necessarily need to have the money all at once to buy the materials to create your own suit. Most people work on their armor for months, if not years to get it just right. This in turn spreads the financial part out to make it easier. Be patient, buy things as you need them to work at your own pace, take your time, and most of all, HAVE FUN!!

-Matt

I agree with using foam as a more cost effective alternative, especially for a beginner like you. My very first 405th project was a Reach UNSC trooper made from foam and pepped the helmet coz it was in my opinion, more simpler to build compared to the full spartan suits. Pepping the only the helmet won't cost you that much and building the armor from foam can be done using 4 to 5 foam mats. Check out my sig to see how I did mine and to download the armor templates on page 12 or 13. Good luck!

I think asking on this site will fetch you a bias answer, but there are certain advantages to making your own armor that I'll say out weigh the frustrations. Besides that I haven't seen any decent suits that cost less than several hundred dollars, and while your likely to spend that in the long run making your armor, you don't have to pay that all at once and you are more in control of what your spending will be

I agree with pmw3. I did a cardboard/ duct tape armor for my first build in three weeks for just a few dollars. I got the cardboard from old TV boxes for free and spent $6 in duct tape and $20 in spray paint. Granted it was rushed and cardboard doesn't get the details of cardstock. It turned out farely well. If you are wanting to get started into the costuming community, there is nothing better that building atleast a helmet on your own. It gives you insight into the whole process and gives you something to show off. I would try that before resorting to buying a suit.

Okay thanks for all the help guys I'll take a look around at things and then hopefully I might be able to get some card stock and pep a few helmets I probably won't make a suit seeing as I'm a girl and I'm sure my mum wouldn't aprove but let's just hope I can get some card stock pep a helmet and then possible finish it as I think it still looks pretty awesome just pepped!!!

There is nothing wrong with a girl making armor, there are quite a few females here who completed either a spartan or ODST armor. A couple types of armor you can certainly make for a female is Kat's from Noble Team and Dare from Halo 3 ODST. So, pick your favorite and just have fun making it.

I know theres nothing wrong with me making armour except my mum likes me to act like a girl which I dont think girls usually make armour. But I talked to my dad and I'm sure he was sorta saying yes to me making a helmet all I need is to know whats a good one to do as a first pep??

I personally think that there's a large amount of pride in making a kit and wearing it around rather than just buying someone else's work and using that. You'll feel amazing being able to say 'yes' to all those people who ask "did you make that??". Making one also allows to you make any modifications to the fit so that it's the most comfortable for you, you can find a good balance between detail 'n accuracy and comfort depending on how much you're willing to put up with. Plus it's incredibly fun to make your own kit!

Yeah thats what I think would be the best bit although I think a completed suit resin,bondo paint and all would cost way to much for my allowance and I think thats just a step too far right now

What alternative brand to bondo are the aussie's here using? I went a pep/resin as a base and I'm adding clay to sculpt to avoid sanding.
There's a good thread on rpf where a guy made a stormtrooper lid for 10 quid. So depending on your skills things can be done on the cheap.

I'd suggest foam (the bunnings mats or camping mats from anaconda) for the armor and whatever floats your boat for the lid.

My skills would be none I have never pepped anything or made something out of foam And I don't know what we use instead of bondo I know there's a way to reply to a particular post so along with answers to armor can I also have answers on how to do that??

of course. I'd suggest doing a lot of reading of the forums. Leasrn the terms and search and watch youtube videos. Read threads on other peoples builds, read threads on other forums (therpf.com as an example) and see how people do things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back